2022 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The guy doing the shopping is an issue.... but other than that, just about everybody should have a price.

FWIW, I'll take the under on Skubal actually being traded.

Yup.  That's my issue.

I don't mind him shopping lesser value players, especially relievers with limited contract control.  There's probably not much of a return for those players anyway.  And to be fair, he's gotten some decent return (caveat on the prospects still to be developed) for a few relievers.

19 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Agree.   Doesn’t hurt to see what his market is at the moment.   Don’t have to trade him but he should not be viewed as untouchable either. 

I agree.  There has been a feeling that Avila asks for too much for his starters.  If that's the case, then the worst thing that happens is they turn him down and he stays with the Tigers.  Since there is no need to trade him now, that is fine.  

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The guy doing the shopping is an issue.... but other than that, just about everybody should have a price.

FWIW, I'll take the under on Skubal actually being traded.

No, Al’s tastes in players returning in trade just hasn’t been good enough to trust him with moving valuable players anymore.  2nd tier player deals- fine.

EDIT: seems to be the common sentiment!

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

No, Al’s tastes in players returning in trade just hasn’t been good enough to trust him with moving valuable players anymore.  2nd tier player deals- fine.

EDIT: seems to be the common sentiment!

I do think there's ways to see how a halfway competent GM could utilize a move like this to accelerate or speed up a rebuild, but again, it comes down to the guy shopping for groceries.

As far as I'm concerned, this should be his last time at the grocery store, and his budget should be set accordingly. Unfortunately, Pizza Jr may not agree lol

1 minute ago, Edman85 said:

Yep, and I don't quite buy into the groupthink around how disastrous that is.

I think he is a relatively poor GM and I wish they had a different GM, but I don't think every move he makes is automatically going to be awful.  His past history suggests that in cases like this one where the Tigers have some leverage he is more likely to ask for too much than too little.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Yep, and I don't quite buy into the groupthink around how disastrous that is.

yeah, we might trade him for a young, cost controlled pitcher.  not sure where we could find one of those.

trading skubal makes little sense to me for a team that's far away like detroit.  it makes even less sense for the tigers who were supposedly done rebuilding, let the guy who built this tire fire of a team then trade it away and build another one.

that seems like a recipe for continued failure.

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

I think he is a relatively poor GM and I wish they had a different GM, but I don't think every move he makes is automatically going to be awful.  His past history suggests that in cases like this one where the Tigers have some leverage he is more likely to ask for too much than too little.   

how many chances does avila get to rebuild this team?

it is amazing that anyone thinks avila deserves the shot to tear this down and rebuild it.  i cant believe illitch would be that stupid.

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

yeah, we might trade him for a young, cost controlled pitcher.  not sure where we could find one of those.

trading skubal makes little sense to me for a team that's far away like detroit.  it makes even less sense for the tigers who were supposedly done rebuilding, let the guy who built this tire fire of a team then trade it away and build another one.

that seems like a recipe for continued failure.

Overstatement.

Who won't be available at this trade deadline (for various reasons) to be traded:

Mize/ Manning/ E-Rod (just a guess on my part), Turnbull, Wentz, Olson, Faedo, Jobe, Madden, Brieske (maybe/ maybe not, dunno...), Baez, Torkelson, Greene, Baddoo, Carpenter, Dingler, Perez...

Everyone acting like the team is going to be stripped down to nothing these last two pages is WAY overstating things. We already have a rotation. That needs to be put together next year mostly on the health end. This team is not bereft of talent. It's all just mostly hurt or in the high minors this year or trying to figure out MLB (never easy for anyone in a rookie year). Sucks, but this is the hard part... waiting for all the youngsters to sort themselves out and show themselves either playoff capable or not.

Thinking the rebuild was over this year is premature. Whoever fell for that is the sucker. The rebuild is not over until we make the playoffs. Everything prior to that is still building/ rebuilding.

If Avila can get a great package for Skubal, go for it. If not, keep him. I'm not advocating a trade... but I see no reason to whine over the possibility that he might get traded. Depends on the return.

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

how many chances does avila get to rebuild this team?

it is amazing that anyone thinks avila deserves the shot to tear this down and rebuild it.  i cant believe illitch would be that stupid.

Who says the team is being torn down?

And more to the point: PROVE that the team is being torn down.

Because otherwise... just Pure Hyperbole.

1 minute ago, Dtrain72 said:

You will when Al trades him to the Reds for their 4th best infield prospect and two of their "hot young arms" in 1A....

Since Avila was demanding Gleyber Torres for either Boyd or Fulmer...

I think you and everyone else stating this is full of it.