2022 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

24 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m not sure where the idea came from that a team would pick up Skubal only to help their future.   Teams would pick him up certainly thinking that he could help them now.   The fact that he wouldn’t be a short term rental and is under team control at a nice price is something you don’t often see in deadline deals and would increase his value to someone.  

The Tigers aren’t going to trade him for a down the numbers prospect.   It’s not a fire sale.   Tarik is only leaving If they get something really good. 

I don’t think Skubal’s leaving. I think Al will ask way more than anyone will give him for Skubal. 

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Very very possible.   

That’s Al’s M.O., right? When he is comfortable and has leverage, he asks for way too much; and when he’s nervous and up against it, he’ll settle for almost nothing. 

Edited by chasfh

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t think Skubal’s leaving. I think Al will ask way more than anyone will give him for Skubal. 

Still think Passan's blurb was interesting and advanced things a little more beyond what Rosenthal reported yesterday (ie. price exorbitant, multiple GMs expect him to move).

Anonymous execs have been wrong before and may have their own motives for talking to the press tho.

Edited by mtutiger

42 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That is what I expect too.  The only thing is young healthy good starting pitchers are rarely on the market, so there is some chance Avila's asking price will be matched.  Again, not what I expect. 

I think Skubal has more stuff than Boyd ever did. Some similarities, sure, but I always felt Boyd was getting results beyond his stuff that wouldn’t hold up.

I also doubt Skubal gets traded, just wanted to say he seems different enough to me to not evoke the rumored Yankee trade scenario. 

As you were

22 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

I think Skubal has more stuff than Boyd ever did. Some similarities, sure, but I always felt Boyd was getting results beyond his stuff that wouldn’t hold up.

I also doubt Skubal gets traded, just wanted to say he seems different enough to me to not evoke the rumored Yankee trade scenario. 

As you were

I would agree with this, he also has more of a pedigree reaching top 20ish prospect status where as I don't think Boyd was ever close to that so I definitely like his odds of being good more than I did Boyd at any point but I also would not be surprised if he just ends up being the guy he has been overall this season which is a high 3 ERA that has great stretches but bad stretches as well. That of course wouldn't be the worst result in the world but ideally he does surpass that. 

56 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

As you were

Skubal is better than Boyd.  He’s got better stuff and the peripherals are also better.   They both tend to get rattled too easily and then the control comes and goes too much.  Caught leaving fastballs over heart of the plate and not being able to locate the off speed for a strike when needed.   It was frustrating to watch Boyd when you knew he was capable of so much more when he was locked in.  It didn’t happen enough with him.   I’m starting to see a little of the same with Skubal albeit with a higher ceiling when he’s on.  

1 hour ago, Dan Gilmore said:

As you were

there were certain points where Boyd could get a little extra on the FB when he wanted it and command that good slow curve. When he had both those things working, you could say he was a pitcher with good stuff. But he he really couldn't maintain both those pitches working consistently together. The max FB tended to fall back to 92 and the command wasn't always there. I suppose this is the way it goes for a lot of guys. The have good stuff at their best, but are not at their best enough to be winners. We certainly learned that with Armando Galarraga. On days when he could command his best fastball and best slider all day, his stuff was no-hitter quality, but he couldn't do that very often.

8 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I wonder if it plays a role in the Cards mind that Skubal pitched against them 3 times in his career and they’ve shelled him. 

What do you mean shelled?

He had two games against them in 2021 and in 10 Inn's he had 14 K's, a 1.03 WHIP... I am guessing that they expect him to get better too...

If the Cardinals wanted some cost certainty and control: Skubal and Soto for Jordan Walker...

4 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

That won't help his trade value. 

Completely unsurprising with this guy, but did you read the Free Press story on this?

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2022/07/27/detroit-tigers-andrew-chafin-against-toronto-blue-jays/10168673002/

Get a load of this part:

Would Chafin considering getting vaccinated if the Tigers traded him to a team pushing for the postseason, knowing that could mean pitching in meaningful games in Toronto against the Blue Jays?

"We'll see what happens," he said. "If the situation calls for it, maybe."

So as long as he's on the Tigers, no way he gets the vax. But if he's dealt to an actual contender? Yeah, he can be talked into it.

What a complete choad.

Edited by chasfh

Benintendi to the Yankees for 3 minor leaguers who's names I haven't seen mentioned yet. Benintendi is unvaxed so with Toronto playing in their division and possibly being a team they see in the playoffs that could come into play if the Yankees can't convince him to get vaccinated. 

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Benintendi to the Yankees for 3 minor leaguers who's names I haven't seen mentioned yet. Benintendi is unvaxed so with Toronto playing in their division and possibly being a team they see in the playoffs that could come into play if the Yankees can't convince him to get vaccinated. 

Solid return for the Royals, who badly need pitching in their system

Benintendi said something similar to Chafin with repect to whether he would get a vaccination if he went to a contender.

Bill James really seems to hate Benintendi.  I am not sure why? I don't think it's the vaccine.  I could see him supporting a non-vaxer just to be contrarian.  Sometimes, I think he likes to get people riled up.   

The Tigers should trade Chafin to a contender just so he gets the vaccine.

Either way, I think it is highly likely that he is traded. He almost assuredly will opt out in the off season since he's probably going to at worst match his salary in 2023 and get more guaranteed money for future seasons.