2022 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

14 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Like I said, he would be the best hitter in the Tigers organization the minute he steps on the field.  

The Tigers have the worst starting 1st baseman, 2nd baseman, and 3rd baseman in the majors.

The starting catcher, outfielders, and DH (just because he has zero power) are all at the bottom.

This is the worst Tiger's offensive team I have ever watched.

The only 2 players that even hit the ball regularly with authority are Haase and Baez, and those guys sure do like to swing and miss a lot.

Shouldn’t we be aiming higher? Comparing anyone to our hitters is an incredibly low bar.

• Like 1

It would be nice to call up a guy from the minors and just have them be able to hit at least league average with average power.  

How can you have a rebuild going on for 6 or 7 years, trade away a bunch of all stars for prospects, draft in the top 10 every year, and end up with no players that would start on basically any other team?

2 hours ago, gkelly said:

It would be nice to call up a guy from the minors and just have them be able to hit at least league average with average power.  

How can you have a rebuild going on for 6 or 7 years, trade away a bunch of all stars for prospects, draft in the top 10 every year, and end up with no players that would start on basically any other team?

because you have a bad general manager?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

since when does Al do anything that makes sense.... I bet they dont do jack maybe some small trade but nothing big

I think most of what he does "makes sense".  He correctly identifies weaknesses and tries to fix them with trades and free agents.  He just hasn't been good at it!  He lacks innovation and perhaps negotiation skills.  

• Like 3

On 7/15/2022 at 6:49 PM, gkelly said:

Maybe the how is that the guys we got for our bunch of all stars weren’t prospects after all.

I’m not sure the Tigers should do anything at this deadline. There is zero playoff urgency—in fact they’d do well at this point to avoid triple-digit losses—so we can’t really justify selling youngsters for veterans; and “the rebuild is 100% over”, so it’ll be hard to convince fans about the wisdom of selling veterans for prospects. We remember what the organization said.

But also, if we sell veterans for prospects they’ll be selling low because they’re all doing so awful—you remember what we got for All-Stars at the top of their game; and if we sell prospects for veterans—well, you saw Paredes for Meadows. No guarantees.

They’ll still probably do something anything, but to me it’ll probably feel doing stuff to look busy.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I’m not sure the Tigers should do anything at this deadline. There is zero playoff urgency—in fact they’d do well at this point to avoid triple-digit losses—so we can’t really justify selling youngsters for veterans; and “the rebuild is 100% over”, so it’ll be hard to convince fans about the wisdom of selling veterans for prospects. We remember what the organization said.

But also, if we sell veterans for prospects they’ll be selling low because they’re all doing so awful—you remember what we got for All-Stars at the top of their game; and if we sell prospects for veterans—well, you saw Paredes for Meadows. No guarantees.

They’ll still probably do something anything, but to me it’ll probably feel doing stuff to look busy.

We should be sellers—not distressed, though.  I’d capitalize on our MLB 3rd ranked bullpen and move an arm or more to get position player talent.  As mentioned in another thread, I’d rather move multiple in the same trade, or take on a salary dump to get a better player.  No more Travis Demeritte-types.

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

We should be sellers—not distressed, though.  I’d capitalize on our MLB 3rd ranked bullpen and move an arm or more to get position player talent.  As mentioned in another thread, I’d rather move multiple in the same trade, or take on a salary dump to get a better player.  No more Travis Demeritte-types.

Well, if we're going to do anything, flipping relievers for good prospects would be the thing to do. But flipping relievers for the best warm body you can get at the last second? Not so much. But that's pretty much what I anticipate from yet another Al Avila Trade Deadline Bonanza-like Selloff Extravaganza.

Hey, by the way, fun fact about Travis Demeritte: he got more at bats in Detroit to try to prove himself for a permanent job than Isaac Paredes got.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Well, if we're going to do anything, flipping relievers for good prospects would be the thing to do. But flipping relievers for the best warm body you can get at the last second? Not so much. But that's pretty much what I anticipate from yet another Al Avila Trade Deadline Bonanza-like Selloff Extravaganza.

Hey, by the way, fun fact about Travis Demeritte: he got more at bats in Detroit to try to prove himself for a permanent job than Isaac Paredes got.

We’re in violent agreement.

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't mind the strategy with Fulmer or even Chafin, because they are on more short term deals, but trading Alex Lange or even someone like Will Vest for a lottery ticket seems unwise from where I'm sitting.

Theoretically, they are all available, but the price for guys that are controllable longer term should be higher.

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I don't mind the strategy with Fulmer or even Chafin, because they are on more short term deals, but trading Alex Lange or even someone like Will Vest for a lottery ticket seems unwise from where I'm sitting.

Theoretically, they are all available, but the price for guys that are controllable longer term should be higher.

Yes—everyone has a price, but keeping the younger, controllable guys is ideal.  Of course, they have more value to another team for those reasons.

13 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Yes—everyone has a price, but keeping the younger, controllable guys is ideal.  Of course, they have more value to another team for those reasons.

For me, I would love to try to flip someone like Soto to the Mariners for one of their younger OF's they have waiting in the wings (Kelenic preferably) but I am not sure if Soto get's that done but they do need bullpen help.  

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

You’d have to add to it, but I doubt he’s untouchable.  The bloom is off his 🌹. He’s made Tork’s struggle in the MLB look like nuttin’

This is kind of what my thought was, find someone who may have lost his shine a bit but if you look at his AAA stats he is an All-Star. Might just need a new environment and he is young enough to still turn it around. This is the types of things I would love for our FO to do but at the same time no idea who is offering what or who is or isn't available.