2022 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

One team I would keep an eye on is the Padres. If Avila can try (which I know is asking a lot) to convince Chris to open up his pocketbook a little more the Padres are up against tax ceiling which probably would limit who they would be willing to take on not only in our trades but others. That being said if we were willing to ship a reliever and depending on which one would obviously change the return value but if we were to take on Snell's contract that would open them up to adding more but that would also allow for the possibility of getting a much larger haul. 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Ditto. The stuff he showed that first Sept he came over from Toronto was electric. Fabulous spin on his 4 seam. Hard to know if he is one of those guys who accumulated a bunch of micro injuries that just ground the edges off all his stuff, or he just never could develop a sound pitcher’s mind, or both. 

Back pain from sleeping in a van down by the river.

8 minutes ago, casimir said:

Sanity check.  Is Gregory Soto worth a top 50?

Now obviously this is just one person's opinion but below is what Bowman said it would take to get Soto. 

Chad Jennings and Jim Bowden of The Athletic recently tossed around a few names in a hypothetical trade with the Red Sox for Soto. Jennings suggested LHP Brandon Walter and RHP Wikelman Gonzalez. Bowden countered, suggesting it would take more for the Tigers to part with Soto — perhaps Walter and right-hander Brayan Bello.

Jennings may have undersold the amount and Bowden may be a little on the high side but Bello is currently ranked 44 on Pipeline. 

1 minute ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Now obviously this is just one person's opinion but below is what Bowman said it would take to get Soto. 

Chad Jennings and Jim Bowden of The Athletic recently tossed around a few names in a hypothetical trade with the Red Sox for Soto. Jennings suggested LHP Brandon Walter and RHP Wikelman Gonzalez. Bowden countered, suggesting it would take more for the Tigers to part with Soto — perhaps Walter and right-hander Brayan Bello.

Jennings may have undersold the amount and Bowden may be a little on the high side but Bello is currently ranked 44 on Pipeline. 

really hope we focus on getting a bat in return, if we move any of our relievers.  

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

really hope we focus on getting a bat in return, if we move any of our relievers.  

One would imagine that they would want a bat, but also there may be a difference in the value of pitcher / batter that could be returned.

Put another way, it may be easier to acquire a high ranked pitcher over a high ranked hitter.

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

One would imagine that they would want a bat, but also there may be a difference in the value of pitcher / batter that could be returned.

Put another way, it may be easier to acquire a high ranked pitcher over a high ranked hitter.

perhaps, but I'd rather pool out tradable assets for the best position player we can get (that makes sense for our roster).  if we're getting more pitching in return, I'd just assume hold on to Soto, who we control for a few more seasons.

46 minutes ago, casimir said:

Sanity check.  Is Gregory Soto worth a top 50?

They'll get a hard throwing right-hander with control problems.  He used to be top 50, but hasn't been able to put it together above A ball.  Maybe Fetter can figure something out. They'll also get a toolsy 19 year old shortstop who has five walks in 500 plate appearances.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

perhaps, but I'd rather pool out tradable assets for the best position player we can get (that makes sense for our roster).  if we're getting more pitching in return, I'd just assume hold on to Soto, who we control for a few more seasons.

Agree. IMHO it would be wise to get a position player. We have multiple relievers and a few decent prospects to 'create'  an attractive package of some kind to get a potential bat for a position of need.
Old adage "Everyone is looking for pitching" - so let us hope this holds come trade deadline (and/or before). AA (and staff) may have a chance here.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

They'll get a hard throwing right-hander with control problems.  He used to be top 50, but hasn't been able to put it together above A ball.  Maybe Fetter can figure something out. They'll also get a toolsy 19 year old shortstop who has five walks in 500 plate appearances.  

You're giving Al way too much credit.

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Take the best prospect regardless.

You thought we were good pitching wise to start the year. How is that going.

Just take the best guy don't take a lesser prospect just cause you're like I need x today. 

I prefer a bat just cause I feel they are more likely to make an impact on your record than a SP but if you can get a pitching prospect that is viewed as a tier or 2 higher than the bat you can get then Id probably take the pitcher. This of course is under the assumption you done your homework on him and there are no obvious red flags in regards to possible injuries. 

8 hours ago, KL2 said:

Take the best prospect regardless.

You thought we were good pitching wise to start the year. How is that going.

Just take the best guy don't take a lesser prospect just cause you're like I need x today. 

I agree with you in principle about taking the best prospect(s), if the return is sufficient enough.  Maybe the positon player over pitcher comes in as a tiebreaker of sorts if given a choice of similar type overall potential.  It would be nice to find a bat that's close to MLB ready, maybe with an ETA of 2023/4.

As far as the pitching this season, it has more than held up its end when you consider all of the injuries that have wrecked the pitching staff.  For all of the criticism of this team/season, its tough to throw stones at the work that Fetter has done.  I think its due for an implosion in the 2nd half, and I hope that people remain cognizant of the work that the Tigers have done squeezing lemonade out of crab apples.

21 hours ago, Stanley70 said:

Here is an article from the Athletic discussing the Tigers potential trade candidates. For Soto they list the Dodgers as the most likely trade partner because they can offer top 50ish prospects Busch, Pages or Vargas. And Detroit would likely not settle for something less than that.

They aren't sure if the Dodgers would do that for those without subscriptions but that is what Detroit would ask for hypothetically. They suggest Fulmer as more likely to be traded for a lesser return.

https://theathletic.com/3388230/2022/06/29/tigers-trade-deadline/

Cody was huffing hopium on June 29 because Soto had just finished a stretch of four straight three-batter-inning outings. Plus, Cody has to live in this town.

Put it this way: If Avila can pull a rabbit out of his butt and unlock a top 50 prospect for Gregory Soto—who just last night turned an 0-2 count on Ian Happ into an ugly, ugly walk—then that might be the feather in his cap that keeps him in this job for  at least another year.

57 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Cody was huffing hopium on June 29 because Soto had just finished a stretch of four straight three-batter-inning outings. Plus, Cody has to live in this town.

Put it this way: If Avila can pull a rabbit out of his butt and unlock a top 50 prospect for Gregory Soto—who just last night turned an 0-2 count on Ian Happ into an ugly, ugly walk—then that might be the feather in his cap that keeps him in this job for  at least another year.

Cody is pretty fair in his assessments IMO, I doubt it has anything to do with "living in this town" or anything like that.... but he has his blind spots, and Soto is one of them.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

i hope the yankees call and avila asks for gleybar torres, lol.

I'm not saying Soto is rotting chopped liver who's unworthy of being in the big leagues. He's a thrower with legit skills who might be moldable into something more consistent. But as things stand now, Soto is decidedly not one of the top closers in the game. In many key respects he's in the bottom third. He's a guy who platoons the seventh inning depending on who's due up. Chafin, Lange, probably Vest, even Joey J are all better this year, at least so far. Wouldn't surprise me to hear the Tigers get more calls on Lange than Soto.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm not saying Soto is rotting chopped liver who's unworthy of being in the big leagues. He's a thrower with legit skills who might be moldable into something more consistent. But as things stand now, Soto is decidedly not one of the top closers in the game. In many key respects he's in the bottom third. He's a guy who platoons the seventh inning depending on who's due up. Chafin, Lange, probably Vest, even Joey J are all better this year, at least so far. Wouldn't surprise me to hear the Tigers get more calls on Lange than Soto.

Oh I am sure they will get good number of calls on Lange but with that being said I am guessing they will need to be blown away by the proposed package given Lange's service time. All that being said I am guessing 2 out of the 4 of Chafin, Jimenez, Fulmer and Soto end up getting moved and we will be disappointed with the return of the prospects on at least 1 of the 2 trades. I would also not be surprised if any of Grossman, Barnhart, Pineda are moved as well even just for lottery tickets. 

1 minute ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Oh I am sure they will get good number of calls on Lange but with that being said I am guessing they will need to be blown away by the proposed package given Lange's service time. All that being said I am guessing 2 out of the 4 of Chafin, Jimenez, Fulmer and Soto end up getting moved and we will be disappointed with the return of the prospects on at least 1 of the 2 trades. I would also not be surprised if any of Grossman, Barnhart, Pineda are moved as well even just for lottery tickets. 

I'd be surprised to see Barnhart moved. He's not only having his worst year ever, it looks to me he's a candidate for a DFA before the season is over. Might as well give Ali Sanchez a month to show what he can do. What are the chances he would be worse than Barnhart?