6/14 7:10 White Sox @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The last couple of nights have been really bad because, instead of being uncompetitive while doing completely nothing offensively, they are instead losing after having gotten men on base.

As many times as they have been held to 2 or 3 hits, they have had games where they leave 18, 19, 20+ men on base. Countless times. And have often had little to show for it. 

They just can't hit for any power or in any sort of situational form, and at this point it's hard to see that changing.

At some point, and we are nearly 200 AB in, you have to reckon with the possibility that it is the org and the Tigers are trying to institute a hitting philosophy which, at minimum, is ill-suited to their personal.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

well, if you want to go radical and break some china? Fire Coolbaugh, cut Grossman and give the OF to Reyes, Cameron (he should  be over COVID soon), Greene, Meadows. If Kreidler's hand is holding up you let him challenge Schoop Javy and Candelario for playing time. At catcher they are stuck, there's nothing available. Push Carpenter to AAA and Perez to AA. 

None of this is likely to work but they will likely start pushing some buttons.

I have never seen anything like this offensive drought. 

They have to either fire Coolbaugh or at the very least move him to a bench coach or something and bring in somebody else to take over the hitting duties. Do I believe that will make them do a 180 and become a competent hitting team? No very likely not but you can't just continue to stay the course when your team is quite literally putting up numbers that haven't been seen in like 100 years. 

Yeah it's not like he has a ton of great hitters on this team to work with but virtually every non Castro is performing way under their career norms, particularly the power department. If one or two guys were performing bad then you could understand but when 10+ are performing 20% or more under their career numbers than something is wrong. At first I may chalk it up to offense being down and the new ball but in the past month or so offense is starting to tick up and HR numbers are going up meanwhile we are getting worse.

Again I realize that ultimately it comes down to the players but it's also these coaches jobs to identify the problems the players are having and trying to correct them, whether that is mechanically or in their approach and it seems like they aren't doing that. G2 has been beating it to death all year the horrible approach these guys have and how they take way too many hittable pitches, that is something the coaching staff and scouting department should pick up on. Other teams pick up on patterns of pitchers yet we seemingly don't. That's a problem that needs to be corrected. 

These guys had 78 HRs this time last year, this year they are at 21. Granted the season started a few weeks late but even factoring that in you're talking about a huge drop. If they were even close to last year's power numbers we'd probably be right in the thick of the division or WC chase. 

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

These guys had 78 HRs this time last year, this year they are at 21. Granted the season started a few weeks late but even factoring that in you're talking about a huge drop. If they were even close to last year's power numbers we'd probably be right in the thick of the division or WC chase. 

I would imagine our record would be near .500 with those 78 HR at this point.  The plan appears to have failed.

21 minutes ago, casimir said:

Just wait 'til it warms up.

Our offense in 2009 was not great as I recall.  I recall that it was basically wait until Miggy got up to drive in Polanco and maybe Raburn would do something.   But, it was clearly better than this. 

8 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

I'd love to see Baddoo back with the team. I know he's struggling but he was such a positive part of the story last year. They still do the bow and arrow thing. He was such a catalyst for this team. Give him a chance to do it again.

I think you will. He's played in 6 games since getting back into the lineup at Toledo and has 4 hits and 5 walks for a 346 OBP which I'd take as a decent sign he's seeing the ball better. Hasn't found his power yet though.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think you will. He's played in 6 games since getting back into the lineup at Toledo and has 4 hits and 5 walks for a 346 OBP which I'd take as a decent sign he's seeing the ball better. Hasn't found his power yet though.

Robbie being on the team really complicates the picture on getting Baddoo back, one would think. Especially if/when Greene comes up.

I don't see them DFA'ing Grossman, but IDK. Weirder things have happened.

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Robbie being on the team really complicates the picture on getting Baddoo back, one would think. Especially if/when Greene comes up.

I don't see them DFA'ing Grossman, but IDK. Weirder things have happened.

the only success Robbie is having is against LHP. You can use him in a platoon with Meadows and/or Baddoo. Victor will probably cool cool off. 200 AB is a lot of time to pull out of a slump in the absence of injury. Cameron was really coming on before he COVID'd. They have to make room to give him some extended run.

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Of the guys who were here last year, Schoop, Haase, Baddoo and Grossman are missing 23 HRs, which would increase their current output by over 50%!!  And that's not including the 11 HRs that Baez is missing, or the 15 from Meadows!

It has to be the ball, at least to a significant degree.  This is happening to better hitters to a lesser degree all over the MLB.

I realize that most of these guys have been playing all or most of their careers with the juiced 2015 - 2021 ball, so they will have to make major adjustments, but that is their only survival option at this point.

Edited by sabretooth