07/08/2022 8:10 EDT Detroit Tigers at Chicago White Sox

casimir

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Get it under 10 games under .500 and I'll feel better about the season.  

That seems doable now, a week ago it was a fantasy.  I look at those division standings and I see the possibility, 4 weeks from now, of being in second place.

8 hours ago, romad1 said:

Get it under 10 games under .500 and I'll feel better about the season.  

I was just thinking how much more comfortable I would be if the first digit in the win column were at least as high as the first digit in the loss column.

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I was just thinking how much more comfortable I would be if the first digit in the win column were at least as high as the first digit in the loss column.

i.e., what we casual fans expected but were warned by others not to be surprised when there was regression away from.

For Skubal's 91 pitches, he threw 27 sliders (30%), 23 two-seam fastballs (25%), 18 changeups (20%), 17 four-seam fastballs (19%) and six knuckle curves (7%). He recorded 15 swings and misses: five sliders, two two-seamers, five changeups, two four-seamers and one curve.

He also got 13 called strikes.

Personally, I’m not interested in W-L anymore this season.  There’s no moral victory getting within 10 games of .500.  Or achieving .500 record.

I want to see if our hitters can get it together in the 2nd half.  We will likely see regression from our young starting pitchers as well as stricter pitch/innings limits.  We should also look to move a reliever or two if we can upgrade elsewhere.

Dump Grossman and reduce playing time for Schoop and Candy. More AB’s for Clemens, Baddoo, Cameron, etc. Let them take their lumps.

Hopefully there is a Turnbull and Jake Rogers sighting before the end of the season.

Reset for 2023 and pray for an Avila dismissal.

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Personally, I’m not interested in W-L anymore this season.  There’s no moral victory getting within 10 games of .500.  Or achieving .500 record.

I want to see if our hitters can get it together in the 2nd half.  We will likely see regression from our young starting pitchers as well as stricter pitch/innings limits.  We should also look to move a reliever or two if we can upgrade elsewhere.

Dump Grossman and reduce playing time for Schoop and Candy. More AB’s for Clemens, Baddoo, Cameron, etc. Let them take their lumps.

Hopefully there is a Turnbull and Jake Rogers sighting before the end of the season.

Moral victories lead to actual victories.  

The moral is the physical as 3 is to 1

Napoleon Dynamite

26 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Sitting Schoop is a tougher one because of the defense he is providing.  I wonder how much of the pitching success is due to the improved middle infield defense.

Someone threw out the hitting line that Clemens has had after he got his first hit.  Maybe there’s a platoon among 2B/3B involving Schoop/Clemens/Candelario that makes sense?

The decline of Candelario stinks in the short term, but it seemed he was sort of an iffy long term 3B due to his lack of power for the position.  Maybe in a weird way this is actually beneficial to the Tigers for the long term?  It’s obvious now that he isn’t a player to include as a core piece.  And so there’s no reason to offer a longer term deal to him, whereas that possibility might have existed with a reason 2022 out of him.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

It is true that the better the record, the more likely Avila stays, if record factors at all into the decision.

23 hours ago, raind said:

Call me old fashioned, CoAmerica is not a small park. Funny how Mickey had so much success in Tiger Stadium. Or Morris. or the Bird ( granted he didn't last). 

I was talking about baseball in general.  It's a very different ball game than it was in the 60s and 70s.  I miss a lot of things about the old game such as complete games, but they just are not practical anymore.  It's not because current players are weak or pampered.  It's because teams can win more games and get more out of their pitchers if they make  more use of relief pitchers.  

30 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I was talking about baseball in general.  It's a very different ball game than it was in the 60s and 70s.  I miss a lot of things about the old game such as complete games, but they just are not practical anymore.  It's not because current players are weak or pampered.  It's because teams can win more games and get more out of their pitchers if they make  more use of relief pitchers.  

Specialization is a reflection of the increased study of the data.  Its the result of Adam Smith, and Taylorism and Henry Ford identifying more and more details and then studying those some more looking for advantages.  When our data tools were less sophisticated we didn't study as well or as efficiently.  Now, we have data about things we never would have thought of 20 or even 10 years ago.  

I had some elaborate riff about how soon AI and the algorithms were going to harmonize human existence but...lets not get carried away.

Edited by romad1