7/11 @ 8:10 Tigers @ Royals DH Game #2

Tigeraholic1

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Efforts like Game 1's - well, that helps get managers and coaches fired.    

The Tigers have one of the worst offenses in the league and have since Spring Training. I thought they'd be dead last in the AL before the year began. This isn't the staffs fault by any means..... Javy Baez (when he's on) is the only first division regular. Greene is showing to be one too. So thats two out of nine spots that should be in the lineup. No one could win with this lineup. it was very easily foreseeable unfortunately. 

Great bullpen and some overachieving starting pitchers.

Eric Haase is really the only Tiger who hits the ball regularly with authority.  It didn't look good for the Tigers at the beginning of they year, but they are even worse at hitting major league pitching than I thought they would be.  Next year isn't going to be any better.

12 minutes ago, kdog said:

What does a guy need to do to get fired around here?

player, coach, executive 

Well, Avila has been GM since 2015, so it seems like there really isn't anything a person can do to get fired around here.  Results obviously do not matter.

34 minutes ago, gkelly said:

Great bullpen and some overachieving starting pitchers.

Eric Haase is really the only Tiger who hits the ball regularly with authority.  It didn't look good for the Tigers at the beginning of they year, but they are even worse at hitting major league pitching than I thought they would be.  Next year isn't going to be any better.

Ain't no more cards to play.   Played them all.             I don't think anyone is really going to be excited about Kerry Carpenter and Ryan Kreidler.   And Meadows,  I am starting to doubt that he ever plays again in the majors.   Vertigo ended Nick Esasky's career at 30 - a year after hitting 30 HR with 108 RBI. 

And yes, the lineup sucked from day one, but the effort today.............garbage.   The other team had to play in the same heat, they didn't quit.   This team quit  

1988 - 2005 all over again.    That means another decade of this.  Yippee !

I am 57 and I'll probably never see them win another World Series.   At least I had the one.  For those people under 43 or 44, no memory of it.  

How Scott Coolbaugh still has a job is astounding.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I am 57 and I'll probably never see them win another World Series. 

For a team that’s been around for 120 years and has only won the WS four times, you may be on to something. 

At 67 years ‘mature’ I pretty much gave up on any hope of seeing this clown act win another W.S. I’d just like to see a winning season again, someday…

12 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Clemens would not have been my choice.  Grossman is finished, the other players all know it, and they won't be happy about carrying a teacher's pet on the roster.

Yeah, this makes you wonder, doesn’t it?  Wasn’t it just last week we were talking about Gibson and Higginson being chosen over Thames in 2005?

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Yeah, this makes you wonder, doesn’t it?  Wasn’t it just last week we were talking about Gibson and Higginson being chosen over Thames in 2005?

The overall numbers aren't great for Clemens of course, he's sub .200 at the moment. But OTOH, he's been fairly decent since his 0-17 start as well. 

The Grossman thing just sucks because the reasons for him staying have nothing to do with merit at this point; it's all about circumstances. He's seen as a viable trade chip (whether we feel that way or not) and, quite possibly, is a manager favorite as well

Edited by mtutiger

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

bad break for Clemens.  

I’m going to bet it probably surprised him as well as others. This is a shitty way to reward effort. He has gotten acclimated to this level and is holding his own for the most part. 
I have changed my mind on Tork, he needs to spend some time in Toledo. Earlier I was believing the light would come on for him but it ain’t happening. He is not progressing with the bat at all. I’m not down on the guy but you just have to see the obvious. 

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

The overall numbers aren't great for Clemens of course, he's sub .200 at the moment. But OTOH, he's been fairly decent since his 0-17 start as well. 

The Grossman thing just sucks because the reasons for him staying have nothing to do with merit at this point; it's all about circumstances. He's seen as a viable trade chip (whether we feel that way or not) and, quite possibly, is a manager favorite as well

I would say there’s merit, but it’s based on past seasons.  I don’t know how much that should factor in or when the current season surpasses the resume.  Maybe they’re just getting to the all start break at this point, I don’t know.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

He's seen as a viable trade chip (whether we feel that way or not) and, quite possibly, is a manager favorite as well

I have a hard time believing the Tigers could get even a Zach Short type of return for Grossman; if he is not gone by deadline, hope they just DFA him

Edited by RatkoVarda