08/07/2022 6:10 EDT Tampa Bay Rays at Detroit Tigers

casimir

53 minutes ago, kdog said:

Al is not surviving. The question is if they go outside the org to find a replacement.

I think that is incorrect.

I think Al survives, and will not be kicked to the curb by Ilitch.

The first question to me is: Will Ilitch keep Avila in the GM spot or... kick him upstairs?

He'll survive either way, on that basis IMO: either as GM, or as President with a new up-and-comer coming in as GM.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

manning had a great start and hasnt gotten injured yet.

that's what really matters today.

Yup. I left this one in the 7th as I had thing to do and could only laugh at Soto self-destructing - I guess it was his turn after Vest and Jimenez.

*IF* Skubal doesn't have anything serious wrong, and Manning is stable and ERod is on his way back. That's three plus Turnbull and Brieske (if he doesn't turn into a pumpkin) as a presumptive starting rotation next season. That wouldn't be a half bad place to be if there were any hope by then that they could score runs.

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

That's three plus Turnbull and Brieske (if he doesn't turn into a pumpkin) as a presumptive starting rotation next season. That wouldn't be a half bad place to be if there were any hope by then that they could score runs.

Brieske generates a lot of skepticism, but I dont have a great read on how much of that is how he has outkicked his coverage in terms of performance related to his draft position. 

I do think he has work to do in terms of the quality of his pitches, particularly fastball and slider. But his demeanor, coupled with improvements of his arsenal, I'm not sure why that couldn't be in the mix for a #5 on this staff provided he has a decent finish. Particularly when they have so many holes on the position player side of things.

Edited by mtutiger

38 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Weird but oddly amusing. I'd never seen this although I've had a copy of Graceland since its release.

You had not seen this?  That is a generational marker if there ever was one.   Gen X has seen it and is triggered by it.   That was video was on max rotation when MTV and VH1 still played videos.

The rest of that album is also playing through some synaptic markers for me as well.  That album, Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" and Suzanne Vega's "My name is Luca" while I was destroying the Soviet 3 Guards Tank Army while playing "Gunship" on whatever gaming console existed in 1988/1989. 

That specific setting was my supervisor's barrack's room and the music was on because he was trying to get it going with a local German girl who liked those tunes.  I really should have not been a 3rd wheel but I really enjoyed that dumb game.

6 hours ago, kdog said:

At this point, the results don’t matter. Manning had the best outing of his career. The offense sucks and Soto imploded in a non save situation. But they have to use him because the bullpen is overtaxed. 
Good bullpens are a waste on a horrific team. Avila thinks he can get more value for them at a later point in time.

Even Soto’s meltdown isn’t the worst aspect of the story. Every pitcher comes out flat sometime, and Hinch could have gone and gotten him sooner. But he could have had 3Ks and given up a solo HR on 100 low on the black and they still lose the game. They were shutout in their own house again