08/20/2022 1:10 EDT Los Angeles Angels at Detroit Tigers

casimir

C-Mo brings up a pretty good point about these young AAAA type players not buying into the old "choke up just put the ball in play and give yourself" type mentality cause they may feel like just doing little things like that may not keep them up in the big leagues, if you're hitting .190 but "moving the runners up" in your mind atleast you're likely not going to keep your job so you force yourself to try to make an impact which can lead to more Ks. 

We seemed to have leapt from mocking the Manager to mocking anyone who ever liked the Manager all in one thread, based on resting the incredible Baddoo against a LHP.  

Let me know when the tar, feathers, and rail are prepared for AJ, his evil cadre, and his oh so foolish supporters.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sabretooth said:

We seemed to have leapt from mocking the Manager to mocking anyone who ever liked the Manager all in one thread, based on resting the incredible Baddoo against a LHP.  

Let me know when the tar, feathers, and rail are prepared for AJ, his evil cadre, and his oh so foolish supporters.

My comment above was derived from a "thought" that was posted a few days/weeks ago that specifically mentioned "everyone" being in favor of Hinch as manager.  That simply isn't the case.  Sure, the team overachieved last season.  But they are underachieving this season.  So, its fine to gloss him up for last season but not be critical of him for this season?

As far as resting Baddoo vs LHPs, in particular this weekend, I have not problem with that.  Like buddha said, he's played about a week straight.  He's been 9/28 (all singles) with 2 BB and 10 SO.  Not exactly a bat that's on fire, nor is the power there lately.  Certainly a good streak considering where his season has been.  But the Tigers have faced a couple of LHPs.  He was going to get at least one of those games off, and rightfully so.

But forgetting him as an individual and looking at the team as a whole, Haase had been hitting as well as anyone lately (he's cooled a bit in August).  It was a day game after a night game that he caught.  As was mentioned, a LHP was starting.  DHing him rather than having him play LF (which, I don't think he's played LF in a while now that I think about it), made sense, especially when you consider Cabrera needs time off now and again because he's not healthy, but they won't IL him.

Just now, Toddwert said:

I think hes a good manager better then the Tigers org. deserves... people  have a short memory of Ausmus and Gardenhire heck  even Leyland wasnt perfect

Gardenhire was fine. He had nothing to work with but he kept things on an even keel and took pretty good care what little pitching he had. It was funny that he seemed like a reasonably mellow guy for a manager, but inside the losing was eating him up to where he had to bail.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I am neutral on Hinch.  I don't think he is a problem.  It just seems like a lot of fans think he can do no wrong and they want to blame everyone but Hinch for the team's problems this year.  

Yes, that's where I'm at.  I don't think he's as special as last season might indicate and I don't think he's awful as this season might indicate.

If he were to remain as manager next season, OK, fine.  At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised to see him move up to the GM role since he has some front office experience.  I would not expect him to be fired after this season, save for a GM hire along the lines of someone like Theo Epstein or Billy Beane and that person wanted to bring someone else as manager.  Its possibly, but I highly doubt that happens.  However the GM role works out, I would expect Hinch to remain in the organization in some capacity for next season.

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I am neutral on Hinch.  I don't think he is a problem.  It just seems like a lot of fans think he can do no wrong and they want to blame everyone but Hinch for the team's problems this year.  

I have not seen this.  You and Jim Cowan keep talking about this so I have no doubt that you guys have seen this, but I havent.

18 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I have not seen this.  You and Jim Cowan keep talking about this so I have no doubt that you guys have seen this, but I havent.

It has calmed down but for the first year or so there were people dropping palm fronds in front of him on his way into Jerusalem.

• Like 2