09/16/2022 7:10 EDT Chicago White Sox at Detroit Tigers

casimir

• IdahoBert changed the title to 09/16/2022 7:10 EDT Chicago White Sox at Detroit Tigers
9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Verlander was talked about earlier in the thread so I figured I post an update on him tonight, came off the DL and all he did was throw 5 no hit innings with 9Ks and 1BB before being pulled for I imagine precautionary reasons since he only was at 79 pitches.  

BTW he lowered his ERA to 1.78, from what I can gather outside of the COVID shortened year in 2020 where Bieber had a 1.6 something ERA the lowest in atleast the last 70 years in the AL was Pedro in 2000 with a mind boggling 1.74. 

34 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Verlander was talked about earlier in the thread so I figured I post an update on him tonight, came off the DL and all he did was throw 5 no hit innings with 9Ks and 1BB before being pulled for I imagine precautionary reasons since he only was at 79 pitches.  

yes, but franklin perez will be the foundation of the rebuild.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, buddha said:

yes, but franklin perez will be the foundation of the rebuild.

Perez is obviously done and I put Daz's chance of even being an MLB starter at 10% or less at best so the only person left is Rogers. There's nothing he could realistically do to even come close to making the trade even a little lopsided instead of completely lopsided but I do think there's a chance that he could be an average starting catcher if everything goes well with his injury. He did show some pop in his limited time so maybe he could be like an Eric Haase with better defense behind the plate, that would be an ok result for him. 

Of course what Verlander does this year doesn't really matter in regards to the trade since we could've signed him outright if we wanted to but he said the Tigers didn't even contact him, instead they went after E-Rod so they screwed themselves twice with him. 

Hinch brought up a good point about that play with Javy getting thrown at home. He said that Tork should've taken off for 1st there and if he did maybe out of instinct the catcher leaves the plate to retrieve the ball to throw to first. 

Edit: Actually come to think of it if Tork takes off for first would he be rewarded 1st base even with Javy being tagged out? 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

He used to look up to Nolan Ryan.  I would love to know what Ryan's thoughts are about Verander.

8 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Perez is obviously done and I put Daz's chance of even being an MLB starter at 10% or less at best so the only person left is Rogers. There's nothing he could realistically do to even come close to making the trade even a little lopsided instead of completely lopsided but I do think there's a chance that he could be an average starting catcher if everything goes well with his injury. He did show some pop in his limited time so maybe he could be like an Eric Haase with better defense behind the plate, that would be an ok result for him. 

Of course what Verlander does this year doesn't really matter in regards to the trade since we could've signed him outright if we wanted to but he said the Tigers didn't even contact him, instead they went after E-Rod so they screwed themselves twice with him. 

Cameron's chances with the Tigers are 0%  He's closer to his 26th birthday than his 25th birthday and couldn't hit well enough in AAA to bump his RH bat into the LH heavy OF when rosters expanded.  He couldn't replace Kody Clemens on the active roster and Clemens is almost as likely to pitch in the 9th inning as he is to be hitting in the 9th inning on any given day.

Hmmm.....  I wonder if Vegas would take that Clemens prop bet?

The funny thing about Perez is that everyone at the time agreed that he was the shiny new one in that bag of balls, so to speak, and both Baseball America and BP increased his ranking going into 2018. So if he was ascendant even while we had him, were we as poor developers the problem that killed his career? Did everyone miss on him? Or was it just injury bad luck (or bad handling)?

26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The funny thing about Perez is that everyone at the time agreed that he was the shiny new one in that bag of balls, so to speak, and both Baseball America and BP increased his ranking going into 2018. So if he was ascendant even while we had him, were we as poor developers the problem that killed his career? Did everyone miss on him? Or was it just injury bad luck (or bad handling)?

i think it says more about prospect rating.  young guy + throw hard + one good season at low levels = "top prospect."

Out of curiousity I wanted to look at the Astros top prospects at the time, this is BA's top 10 for them as of July 21st 2017,  I remember hearing at the time Tucker was untouchable so no way we get him but makes you wonder if we could've gotten Alvarez instead of Perez if Avila went that route. 

1. Kyle Tucker, OF
2. Franklin Perez, RHP
3. Francis Martes, RHP
4. Derek Fisher, OF
5. Forrest Whitley, RHP
6. Yordan Alvarez, 1B
7. J.B. Bukauskas, RHP
8. Teoscar Hernandez, OF
9. J.D. Davis, 3B

10. Garrett Stubbs, C