Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

4 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

And not every guy is fit for military service.

Just spitballing here, but maybe another way things fall apart for Putin is if the regional authorities stop sending recruits. With the Russian Army nearly 100 committed they could be losing the leverage to coerce the hinterlands. Now in point of fact, the poverty out there has been enough that the money being offered has been enough draw even with the risk of ended up dead, but if reports about the Russian gov welching on payments are true, maybe it's someting to speculate on.

31 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yes... if it comes to war with China, it will be naval and air forces that win out...

Although I would think JASSM's would be useful on the China mainland (I don't see war going there...); and not so much in defending Taiwan from invasion...

The entire battle plan for our defeating China is based on waves of JASSM with each missile destroying 1 Chinese warship a piece.  

43 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The entire battle plan for our defeating China is based on waves of JASSM with each missile destroying 1 Chinese warship a piece.  

I didn't really think of air-to-ground as taking out naval ships... Is that how they work? I'm not up to speed on that aspect...

(Thought they were more for taking out tanks/ ground forces/ artillery/ etc...)

24 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I didn't really think of air-to-ground as taking out naval ships... Is that how they work? I'm not up to speed on that aspect...

(Thought they were more for taking out tanks/ ground forces/ artillery/ etc...)

check this out.

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/air-force-ramps-up-jassm-work-begins-on-replacement/

The amount of "no comments" in that article is telling. 

17 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

And it says they haven't purchased very many LRASM's...

That's going to need to change.

Will need to ramp up those specific purchases up quickly this and the next few years...

They seem to like JASSM ER more and more and the anti-ship variant seems to work well when dropped out of a C-130 or C-17 in pallets.  

it's interesting that if you are listening to the US MSM, you would probably have the impression that the Ukrainians are scrambling to prepare for an upcoming ramped up Russian offensive - while if you are listening to guys like Kofman, the story is that the Russians have already ramped up about as far as they are capable of going - the offensive is already ongoing, and that if the Russians cannot make major gains now (which they do not appear to be doing)  it will likely be the Ukrainians back on the offensive in few months with the Russians having pretty much exhausted themselves-again. And of course the reason for the Russians driving themselves into a likely inferior strategic situation? The political imperative from Putin. 

Edited by gehringer_2

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

it's interesting that if you are listening to the US MSM, you would probably have the impression that the Ukrainians are scrambling to prepare for an upcoming ramped up Russian offensive - while if you are listening to guys like Kofman, the story is that the Russians have already ramped up about as far as they are capable of going - the offensive is already ongoing, and that if the Russians cannot make major gains now (which they do not appear to be doing)  it will likely be the Ukrainians back on the offensive in few months with the Russians having pretty much exhausted themselves-again. And of course the reason for the Russians driving themselves into a likely inferior strategic situation? The political imperative from Putin. 

I would have agreed with you if I saw this post yesterday, but from my Sunday morning news shows, It seemed like it was a known consensus that we are now in the Russian offensive and that it started a week ago and making very small gains with major losses.  Seemed like a complete flip from everything I've seen the last few weeks.

40 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I would have agreed with you if I saw this post yesterday, but from my Sunday morning news shows, It seemed like it was a known consensus that we are now in the Russian offensive and that it started a week ago and making very small gains with major losses.  Seemed like a complete flip from everything I've seen the last few weeks.

I suppose it was in the interests of Ukraine and its supporters to portray the future at defcon 2 terms at least up through the Munich conference.

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Yeah...

I've been seeing reports on Russia ramping up their offensive for at least the past week or so...

They are making some gains... but it's minimal.

Yards. Not kilometers.

Also, for at least the past week or two... Russian deaths with this surge are between 1,000 and 2,000 per day.

We'll see how sustainable that is. And per G2, within the next month or two, Ukraine will be ready for a counteroffensive... that the Russian invaders will not be prepared for nor able to prevent. I'm not certain if it gets Crimea back for Ukraine... but that's exactly what THEY are planning for.

Lose Crimea, and the egg on Putin's face will be fatal egg.

Should I capitalize that? "Fatal Egg" causes Putin's fatality...

7 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yeah...

I've been seeing reports on Russia ramping up their offensive for at least the past week or so...

They are making some gains... but it's minimal.

Yards. Not kilometers.

Yeah, i've been reading about the Wagner push for the past several weeks which has been moving the lines, albeit extremely slowly.  I guess I was expecting a large scale assault on multiple fronts and possibly even from the Sea in the south.  If this is it, sounds like the plan is to use bodies to exhaust ammunition from Ukraine.  

Sun Tzu sas, “Strategy without tactic is the slowest route to victory.  Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."

I had always heard this as:  Strategy without tactics is Winston Churchill dropping the ANZACs at Gallipollii or the Anzio landings.

Tactics without strategy is the Wehrmacht constantly punching holes into the Red Army to limited long term effect without the ability to form an effective defense because Hitler's no retreats orders made it impossible to form a cohesive defensive front.

I have also heard this as tactics without strategy is pointless and strategy without tactics is bloodyminded.

• Like 1

Obviously the military was on special alert and Biden has Secret Service, but that still takes some balls to go to Kyiv.  I'm honestly surprised he was even allowed too and the idea of it wasn't shuttered by Secret Service themselves.  

I just jumped on Twitter to see the response and it's 'oh, he'll go to Ukraine but not East Palestine'.  I mean, I guess it's about the best misdirection you could try right now, but at some point you have to admit and admire the balls of this.  Props to Joe.