Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

This was an excellent outcome.

Side note: A former professor of mine was behind a lot of shenanigans in the Reagan administration.  He was Constantine Menges.  Anywho...Dr. Menges (whose nickname was "Constant Menace" from the Ollie North contingent) was behind at one point an attempt in the early 1990s to form a bloc of states pre-NATO called the Visegrad Bloc which would comprise the central/easter European former Warsaw Pact states to provide a bulwark against Russia.  The idea was sort of loopy at the time because together their GDP was pretty abysmal.  That has changed some with two-three decades of democracy and investment.

Read about some of it here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visegrád_Group

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_Menges

• Like 1

3 hours ago, romad1 said:

This was an excellent outcome.

Side note: A former professor of mine was behind a lot of shenanigans in the Reagan administration.  He was Constantine Menges.  Anywho...Dr. Menges (whose nickname was "Constant Menace" from the Ollie North contingent) was behind at one point an attempt in the early 1990s to form a bloc of states pre-NATO called the Visegrad Bloc which would comprise the central/easter European former Warsaw Pact states to provide a bulwark against Russia.  The idea was sort of loopy at the time because together their GDP was pretty abysmal.  That has changed some with two-three decades of democracy and investment.

Read about some of it here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visegrád_Group

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_Menges

I didn't read this...

But I would love to see a revisal of the Polish-Lithuanian "empire". I've been thinking about this the past few months.

There's Poland, Lithuania & the other Baltics, Ukraine, could probably add at least Moldova, Romania, and Slovakia. Call it the Western Slavic Confederation (I'm guessing it's pretty similar to the Visegrad Group above, without reading... and, although the Baltics aren't Slavic, they were a part of the old Polish-Lithuanian Empire so I am honorarily including them here...). It would be missing Byelorussia, and Kaliningrad. But go ahead and kick the Russians out of those two areas, and might as well do Transdniestra as well. I'm certain the Russians would love that idea. 

The Czech Republic could either lean towards Germany (language/ cultural affinity in western Czechia) or the Western Slavic Union (eastern Czechia is Slavic, like it's former union state Slovakia...). I'm guessing they would choose Slavic based on current political affinities (heavily anti-Russian).

It would also be missing southern Slavic nations but it's a little more tricky down there (Serbia, Hungary, etc...).

But I agree, a mini-NATO in the east of Europe. I think I proposed a confederation with Poland and Ukraine several months back as a pathway for instantaneous inclusion of Ukraine into NATO. 

But revising Poland-Lithuania, or creating a Visegrad group is an excellent idea.

Now just...

"March on Minsk" (future victory song of the Western Slavic Confederation!)

10 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I didn't read this...

But I would love to see a revisal of the Polish-Lithuanian "empire". I've been thinking about this the past few months.

There's Poland, Lithuania & the other Baltics, Ukraine, could probably add at least Moldova, Romania, and Slovakia. Call it the Western Slavic Confederation (I'm guessing it's pretty similar to the Visegrad Group above, without reading... and, although the Baltics aren't Slavic, they were a part of the old Polish-Lithuanian Empire so I am honorarily including them here...). It would be missing Byelorussia, and Kaliningrad. But go ahead and kick the Russians out of those two areas, and might as well do Transdniestra as well. I'm certain the Russians would love that idea. 

The Czech Republic could either lean towards Germany (language/ cultural affinity in western Czechia) or the Western Slavic Union (eastern Czechia is Slavic, like it's former union state Slovakia...). I'm guessing they would choose Slavic based on current political affinities (heavily anti-Russian).

It would also be missing southern Slavic nations but it's a little more tricky down there (Serbia, Hungary, etc...).

But I agree, a mini-NATO in the east of Europe. I think I proposed a confederation with Poland and Ukraine several months back as a pathway for instantaneous inclusion of Ukraine into NATO. 

But revising Poland-Lithuania, or creating a Visegrad group is an excellent idea.

Now just...

"March on Minsk" (future victory song of the Western Slavic Confederation!)

The EU actually was in the work during that 1991 workup to Visegrad.   They are the appropriate umbrella organization for this sub-division of states.   

The common thread amongst my Confederation is that they were all brutalized by the former Soviet Union and have no interest in going back to that.

The EU may be the appropriate umbrella organization. But those states are going to align themselves militarily. Which you know to be true.

And it's not as if smaller groups of NATO nations or nations that cooperate with NATO but aren't in the group never get together for maneuvers and exercises and such, they do... IE: BALTOPS.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

The common thread amongst my Confederation is that they were all brutalized by the former Soviet Union and have no interest in going back to that.

The EU may be the appropriate umbrella organization. But those states are going to align themselves militarily. Which you know to be true.

And it's not as if smaller groups of NATO nations or nations that cooperate with NATO but aren't in the group never get together for maneuvers and exercises and such, they do... IE: BALTOPS.

Assuming a democratic election they are not interested in going back to that.   Who knows if oligarchy is buying the elections on behalf of the Russian dictator?  

36 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Assuming a democratic election they are not interested in going back to that.   Who knows if oligarchy is buying the elections on behalf of the Russian dictator?  

Poland successfully fought against corruption in their economy/ politics...

Ukraine is struggling with that. Although this war has actually allowed Zelensky to broom corrupt politicians out the door and to go after corrupt oligarchy to a much higher (successful) degree than they've ever been able to achieve previously... I think a war footing opens up the anti-corruption door wide-open... by necessity.

6 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Poland successfully fought against corruption in their economy/ politics...

Ukraine is struggling with that. Although this war has actually allowed Zelensky to broom corrupt politicians out the door and to go after corrupt oligarchy to a much higher (successful) degree than they've ever been able to achieve previously... I think a war footing opens up the anti-corruption door wide-open... by necessity.

all in favor of this.   I think Vladdie's miscalculation has resulted in the below quote from Samuel Johnson coming true. 

"Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully."

• Like 1