Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

12 hours ago, romad1 said:

Lots of chatter about russian internet being dead tonight.  A result being drop off in of bot activity.

Is there a reason for this? I just lightly googled and didn't come up with anything.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Is there a reason for this? I just lightly googled and didn't come up with anything.

What I found is that Putin is so freaked about drone attacks that he cut some areas and it had blowback impact.  Details are sketchy though. 

Russian media: Internet jammed in three of Russia's northwestern oblasts to protect against drones (yahoo.com)

Edited by romad1

36 minutes ago, romad1 said:

What I found is that Putin is so freaked about drone attacks that he cut some areas and it had blowback impact.  Details are sketchy though. 

Russian media: Internet jammed in three of Russia's northwestern oblasts to protect against drones (yahoo.com)

They just uncovered a hidden Putin $-million dacha near the Finnish border...

It's probably why he freaked out...

On 1/31/2024 at 9:15 AM, 1984Echoes said:

They just uncovered a hidden Putin $-million dacha near the Finnish border...

It's probably why he freaked out...

Why would Putin be freaked out about the discovery of that? It's not as though he's been doing anything to hide his wealth. Plus, there are million-dollar houses on my street that are four-bedroom, four-bath, 3,000 sq feet. Not much that's ostentatious about those, although maybe $-million goes a lot farther in Finland.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Why would Putin be freaked out about the discovery of that? It's not as though he's been doing anything to hide his wealth. Plus, there are million-dollar houses on my street that are four-bedroom, four-bath, 3,000 sq feet. Not much that's ostentatious about those, although maybe $-million goes a lot farther in Finland.

I meant in the way that Ukrainian drones are buzzing around Russia looking for targets.

Shutting down the internet in northwest Russia shuts down drone activity in that area.

I mean, they haven't targeted any of his places previously if memory serves... Maybe once?

I'm just saying he's doing things by reactionary paranoia...

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Why would Putin be freaked out about the discovery of that?

I can't speak to Putin's mind, but consider that he's putting a fair effort into making Navalny suffer not in the least for exposing Putin's wealth. Maybe it's part of the whole doublethink process. Maybe to openly flaunt something while repressing any discussion about it as though it didn't exist is part of the overall operant conditioning to produce intellectual immobility and political passivity.

Edited by gehringer_2

FWIW, David Axe in Forbes claiming that Ukrainian effectively controls the western Black Sea and grain exports have reached pre-war levels. 

In wrecking a fifth of the Black Sea Fleet and pushing the remnants of the fleet farther to the east, Ukrainian forces have come to dominate the western Black Sea and the vital grain corridor that threads north to south through it.

It’s an economic victory as much as it is a naval one. In recent weeks, Ukraine’s grain exports have reached pre-war levels. The roughly $6 billion Ukrainian farmers stand to earn from these exports this year help to sustain the war effort.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2024/02/01/a-pod-of-ukraines-explosive-drone-boats-just-chased-down-and-blew-up-a-russian-missile-corvette/?sh=36d311f95b0c

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, romad1 said:

Screw Trump and all who sail in her.

NYT has really lost it's way with Trump. Possibly the one thing to say it its defense is that the editors know that a)their readers already hate Trump b)no Trump voters reads, or if they do believes, anything in the NYT anyway. Still, you have a responsibility to put that on the front page just as a matter of being a news source that is archived for history.

The words of Aussie journalist Chris Ullmann after that first Trump G20 Summit are still ringing in my ears. 

We learned that Donald Trump has hit fast forward on the decline of the United States as a global leader.  He managed to isolate his nation, to confuse and alienate his allies and to diminish America. 

He will cede that power to China and Russia --two authoritarian states that will forge a very different set of rules for the 21st century.   Some will cheer the decline of America.  But I think we'll miss it when its gone.

And that's the biggest threat to the values of the West which he claims to hold so dear.

I've played that video so many times since.  I posted at least twice on the old site and at least once here. 

I will also never forget Trump in Helsinki siding with Putin in the press conference. 

40 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I will also never forget Trump in Helsinki siding with Putin in the press conference. 

I keep going back to that press conference. Watch Trump's body language. That was the look of someone who was taken to the woodshed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Interesting.....

The threat from Putin is real and too many in the US already underestimate it, but I also have a suspicion that this may be less something new than something that may have metaphorically been in the Admin's back pocket and they and Turner, who is also a Ukraine supporter, have decided that the classification value is not as great as the political value of getting one more threat story from Russia out there into the public domain to put more pressure on the House GOP Putin apologists.  And even if my suspicions about the genesis of the story are correct, it's probably the right move.

45 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The threat from Putin is real and too many in the US already underestimate it, but I also have a suspicion that this may be less something new than something that may have metaphorically been in the Admin's back pocket and they and Turner, who is also a Ukraine supporter, have decided that the classification value is not as great as the political value of getting one more threat story from Russia out there into the public domain to put more pressure on the House GOP Putin apologists.  And even if my suspicions about the genesis of the story are correct, it's probably the right move.

this is just....wow