2023 Season

UCFKNIGHT

2 hours ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

The Tigers have a new Director of Baseball Operations. I believe AJ Hinch and his entire coaching staff will be fired at the end of this current season. Don’t be shocked if Bruce Bochy is named new field manager in Detroit. Bruce hasn’t been retired and away from the game for long. 

I ain't buying that!

What seems most reasonable at this point would be for Harris to totally revamp the scouting department first. I think that Chadd is gone, as well as others. I see a lot of attention given to bio-mechanics in the organization going forward. I see a major change on the 40 man roster.

Hinch and his staff are safe.

4 hours ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

The Tigers have a new Director of Baseball Operations. I believe AJ Hinch and his entire coaching staff will be fired at the end of this current season. Don’t be shocked if Bruce Bochy is named new field manager in Detroit. Bruce hasn’t been retired and away from the game for long. 

Hinch was an attraction for Harris to come to Detroit, not a liability.

Hey Tigers fans, Braves fan here who is tracking your rebuild for fun, since the new hire. I like to play what would I do. 

I didn’t want to start a thread, but I wanted to give my thoughts on the 2023 40 man roster, and get some feedback from you guys who know these players so much more than I do. 

I have 27 keepers, 18 off the 40 man and IL and 11 added. Short and Cameron are out of options or I’d keep them. 

You guys are deep in pitching. You really only need a couple of Bats that aren’t blocking the kids to shore up the lineup 

I think Benintendi would be a great FA sign. Combined with Riley, Javy, and Tork could give you guys a formidable top 4. 

Id expect some infield prospects to be traded at some point. My guess would be Workman and Manuel Seguera. 

Eduardo Rodriguez (L)    
Tarik Skubal (L)    
Matt Manning    
Spencer Turnbull     
Joey Wentz (L)    
Gregory Soto (L)    
Andrew Chafin (L)    
Joe Jiminez    
Alex Lange     
Will Vest    
Angel Dejesus     
Jason Foley    
Rony Garcia     
Casey Mize    
Alex Faedo    
Beau Brieske    
Garrett Hill     
Eric Haase    
Spencer Torkelson    
Brendon Davis     
Javier Baez     
Ryan Kreidler    
Austin Meadows (L)    
Riley Greene    
Kerry Carpenter (L)    
Jake Rogers    
Miguel Cabrera    
Jonathan Schoop Trade Andre Lipcius 
Daz Cameron  DFA-off 40 Parker Meadows (L)
Zach Short DFA-off 40 Corey Joyce 
Kody Clemens (L) DFA-off 40 Wenceel Perez (S)
Jaime Candelerio (S) Trade Andrew Navigato
Tyler Alexander (L) Trade Reese Olsen 
Jose Cisneros Non-tender Drew Carlton 
Luis Castillo Release Zack Hess
Josh Lester (L)  Release Quincy Neiporte 
Drew Hutchinson  Non-tender Austin Bergner
Victor Reyes (S) Non-tender Dane Myers 
Harold Castro (L) Non-tender  
Akil Baddoo DFA-off 40  
Ali Sanchez DFA-off 40  
Elvin Rodriguez  Release  
Luis Garcia (S) Release  
Bryan Garcia  Release  
Kyle Funkhowser Release

47 minutes ago, Brave-Tiger said:

Hey Tigers fans, Braves fan here who is tracking your rebuild for fun, since the new hire. I like to play what would I do. 

I didn’t want to start a thread, but I wanted to give my thoughts on the 2023 40 man roster, and get some feedback from you guys who know these players so much more than I do. 

I have 27 keepers, 18 off the 40 man and IL and 11 added. Short and Cameron are out of options or I’d keep them. 

You guys are deep in pitching. You really only need a couple of Bats that aren’t blocking the kids to shore up the lineup 

I think Benintendi would be a great FA sign. Combined with Riley, Javy, and Tork could give you guys a formidable top 4. 

Id expect some infield prospects to be traded at some point. My guess would be Workman and Manuel Seguera. 

Eduardo Rodriguez (L)    
Tarik Skubal (L)    
Matt Manning    
Spencer Turnbull     
Joey Wentz (L)    
Gregory Soto (L)    
Andrew Chafin (L)    
Joe Jiminez    
Alex Lange     
Will Vest    
Angel Dejesus     
Jason Foley    
Rony Garcia     
Casey Mize    
Alex Faedo    
Beau Brieske    
Garrett Hill     
Eric Haase    
Spencer Torkelson    
Brendon Davis     
Javier Baez     
Ryan Kreidler    
Austin Meadows (L)    
Riley Greene    
Kerry Carpenter (L)    
Jake Rogers    
Miguel Cabrera    
Akil Baddoo DFA-off 40  
Ali Sanchez DFA-off 40  
Elvin Rodriguez  Release  
Luis Garcia (S) Release  
Bryan Garcia  Release  
Kyle Funkhowser Release

Seems to me you have a pretty solid understanding of the players. I don't think they want to give up on Baddoo and Cisneros just yet but it's hard to know what Harris will do. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Seems to me you have a pretty solid understanding of the players. I don't think they want to give up on Baddoo and Cisneros just yet but it's hard to know what Harris will do. 

Actually I’m gonna keep Baddoo. His 2021 season was very well rounded, and he could get OF reps against a tough lefty. 

What happened to him this year? 

Cisnero seems to have a few things working against him. He’s 33, set to make 2.5-3M in his last year of arbitration, and his BB rate is increasing. I think they could fill his role with a pitcher who is younger, cheaper, and has option years. 

2 hours ago, Brave-Tiger said:

Actually I’m gonna keep Baddoo. His 2021 season was very well rounded, and he could get OF reps against a tough lefty. 

What happened to him this year? 

Cisnero seems to have a few things working against him. He’s 33, set to make 2.5-3M in his last year of arbitration, and his BB rate is increasing. I think they could fill his role with a pitcher who is younger, cheaper, and has option years. 

Sophomore jinx ?

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 11:52 AM, Brave-Tiger said:

Eduardo Rodriguez (L)    
Tarik Skubal (L)    
Matt Manning    
Spencer Turnbull     
Joey Wentz (L)    
Gregory Soto (L)    
Andrew Chafin (L)    
Joe Jiminez    
Alex Lange     
Will Vest    
Angel Dejesus     
Jason Foley    
Rony Garcia     
Casey Mize    
Alex Faedo    
Beau Brieske    
Garrett Hill     
Eric Haase    
Spencer Torkelson    
Brendon Davis     
Javier Baez     
Ryan Kreidler    
Austin Meadows (L)    
Riley Greene    
Kerry Carpenter (L)    
Jake Rogers    
Miguel Cabrera    
Akil Baddoo DFA-off 40  
Ali Sanchez DFA-off 40  
Elvin Rodriguez  Release  
Luis Garcia (S) Release  
Bryan Garcia  Release  
Kyle Funkhowser Release

This seems like a reasonable plan.

• Thanks 1

I like your chart--gives a good overall perspective of the roster and potential moves.  Personally, I disagree with giving 40-man spots to the following:  Navigato, Joyce, Nieporte, Charlton, Bergner and probably, Hess too.  I don't see any of them as potential big leaguers and/or risks to get selected in the Rule 5.  I'd rather keep Elvin, Garcia and Funkhouser over any of these guys.  DeJesus could go, and I'd be more inclined to keep Cameron over Reyes, and I would tender Harold Castro a contract.  Can plug into a lot of positions, LH bat and probably would be our best pinch-hitter.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 11:52 AM, Brave-Tiger said:

Eduardo Rodriguez (L)    
Tarik Skubal (L)    
Matt Manning    
Spencer Turnbull     
Joey Wentz (L)    
Gregory Soto (L)    
Andrew Chafin (L)    
Joe Jiminez    
Alex Lange     
Will Vest    
Angel Dejesus     
Jason Foley    
Rony Garcia     
Casey Mize    
Alex Faedo    
Beau Brieske    
Garrett Hill     
Eric Haase    
Spencer Torkelson    
Brendon Davis     
Javier Baez     
Ryan Kreidler    
Austin Meadows (L)    
Riley Greene    
Kerry Carpenter (L)    
Jake Rogers    
Miguel Cabrera    
Akil Baddoo DFA-off 40  
Ali Sanchez DFA-off 40  
Elvin Rodriguez  Release  
Luis Garcia (S) Release  
Bryan Garcia  Release  
Kyle Funkhowser Release

Yes, I agree that they'll likely prioritize dumping arbitration-eligible players, regardless of any other merit.

When they executed their little salary dump disguised as a "rebuild", the first thing I thought of was that it would be very telling to watch and see if they were willing to make commitments to the newbies once they started to accrue service time.

And, I'll give little Itch credit. I never anticipated that he would throw Avila under the bus for an excuse to buy  even more time.

On 9/23/2022 at 6:01 PM, HeyAbbott said:

What seems most reasonable at this point would be for Harris to totally revamp the scouting department first. I think that Chadd is gone, as well as others. I see a lot of attention given to bio-mechanics in the organization going forward. I see a major change on the 40 man roster.

Hinch and his staff are safe.

I think Hinch will eventually be fired.  Probably not next year, but after he fails to get the Tigers to the post-season, he'll get fired. 

8 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I think Hinch will eventually be fired.  Probably not next year, but after he fails to get the Tigers to the post-season, he'll get fired. 

Hinch is so smooth in conversation and with the media it's hard to know if he is real or just presents really well. I've thought he's been mostly OK with the reservation that we don't really have any way to know - and probably never will,  if something in Hinch's 'system' has been part of the issue wth Tigers hitters.

OTOH, I don't think Dusty Baker is any kind of genius as a manager , just your regular mainstream kind of guy; so the fact that the Astros haven't missed a beat with him at the helm argues that Hinch wasn't a particularly critical piece of that success, but clearly hadn't been an impediment to it either.

Hinch wins with good players and loses with bad players, just like everybody else, plus or minus 5 games.  There is no reason to fire him, and also no reason not to fire him.  Harris will be ambivalent about him. He's way way down the list of issues that have any importance, given the state of the organization.

Originally I thought that Hinch's 3 years remaining on his contract would be an obstacle to hiring a GM who might want to bring along his own manager but then I realized that that thinking was 20 years out of date.  Chris I went out and got one of the hottest young front office stars...how could that be?  And now I think that I am seeing things more clearly.

(a) Scott Harris knows that on a team this bad the manager is irrelevant

(b) If he wanted to buy out Hinch the cost is peanuts, probably about 3.75 million for the last 3 years, and Chris I has given him absolute authority to do that

• Confused 1

There's no doubt that Hinch and Fetters do a wonderful job with the bullpen, and that's not because the GM handed them better pitchers than other Managers had.  They have had mediocre talent and have turned it into a top-5 bullpen worth 5 WAR.

There are different metrics that capture different aspects of this, but I am not sure how best to express it numerically.  I think a good bullpen Manager is worth more than the WAR differential because of the marginally positive effect that a good bullpen has situationally in games, and also in helping to optimize starter arms, and such.

Bottom line is that I think a top 5 bullpen vs. a bottom 5 bullpen can improve a team's won-loss outcome by more than 5 wins.

There's also the marginal positive influence that a Manager can have on player selection for the bullpen and bench, and the back end of the rotation (which overlaps with the bullpen outcome), if that Manager has an excellent relationship with the Front Office/GM.  For example, Leyland said openly in 2006 and afterwards that he was able to influence the 2006 bullpen positively, by advocating for promoting Zoom and putting him into the bullpen, among other things.

The injuries and bad hitting notwithstanding, I think Hinch and his staff were worth more than 5 and something less than 10 wins this year vs. what Gardenhire or Ausmus would have produced, for example.  I think if Hinch had the equivalent of a Fetters on the hitting side, the impact of him and his staff could have been close to 10 games vs. a poor Manager and staff.

Edited by sabretooth