2022 Detroit Lions Regular Season Thread

1984Echoes

I wanted to start this 10 days ago, after the first game... 

But was just a bit busy and didn't take the time. I've been watching the Lions (looking good!), but haven't taken the time to post, just been lurking in here.

I want to start a regular season thread because I don't want some good ideas/ themes to get lost in the game threads... and figure this is the better type of thread for all those good ideas to be in one spot...

That being said... I caught something in the Game 1 thread that caught my eye... and I wanted to open (reopen) a discussion on that as my first topic. The comments were concerning using our two 1st round picks next year on CB and DL, with a follow-up comment of "just want to get a good LB'er"... or something along those lines.

So...

Are we ready to revisit the Roquan Smith discussion? Is he still available? At the trade deadline? Should we make a play for him? What would be the cost?

I'm thinking this is a legit discussion that should be had... especially if we win a few more games... then Holmes/ Campbell/ etal have to give this some serious thought...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I wanted to start this 10 days ago, after the first game... 

But was just a bit busy and didn't take the time. I've been watching the Lions (looking good!), but haven't taken the time to post, just been lurking in here.

I want to start a regular season thread because I don't want some good ideas/ themes to get lost in the game threads... and figure this is the better type of thread for all those good ideas to be in one spot...

That being said... I caught something in the Game 1 thread that caught my eye... and I wanted to open (reopen) a discussion on that as my first topic. The comments were concerning using our two 1st round picks next year on CB and DL, with a follow-up comment of "just want to get a good LB'er"... or something along those lines.

So...

Are we ready to revisit the Roquan Smith discussion? Is he still available? At the trade deadline? Should we make a play for him? What would be the cost?

I'm thinking this is a legit discussion that should be had... especially if we win a few more games... then Holmes/ Campbell/ etal have to give this some serious thought...

Smith reportedly asked Chicago for a new contract at $20 million AAV, probably for five years. That would put him ahead of Shaq Leonard who is at 5/$19.7 million for $98.5 million total, $33 million fully guaranteed. So Smith would probably also want $35 million fully guaranteed too. If you want to pay him that money -- and I don't -- why would you give up draft picks for him mid-season when you could sign him offseason as a UFA?

3 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Smith reportedly asked Chicago for a new contract at $20 million AAV, probably for five years. That would put him ahead of Shaq Leonard who is at 5/$19.7 million for $98.5 million total, $33 million fully guaranteed. So Smith would probably also want $35 million fully guaranteed too. If you want to pay him that money -- and I don't -- why would you give up draft picks for him mid-season when you could sign him offseason as a UFA?

I wasn't following the contract issue...

No, I would definitely wait until the offseason to consider that. No to the draft choices/ trade. Like I said... hadn't been paying attention on contract status...

I don't know... adding a 1st round QB/ CB/ DT/ LB (pick two if there are no trades) leaves me very much wanting to spend that money on Smith next year, and not a 1st round pick. We load up in the draft on other positions, and sign the best LB'er with... money. I think that would be a huge, major plus for our playoff chances... including winning in the playoffs...

I would do it.

Next question:

If Goff plays well in 2022, does he warrant an extension?

My answer: no. We've got him in 2022/23/24. He'll be 31 at the end of that contract. Not old for a QB. But he's not a strong/ accurate deep arm like Stafford. I could see his arm strength/ accuracy getting worse at age 32+ so I say no to any extension. I'm fine with the through 2024 contract... and getting a QB to develop for a year or so prior to his last year.

Just my 2 cents.

8 hours ago, Jason_R said:

bears will franchise him.

Just a quick thought: so... the Seattle game has told us nothing we didn't already know... we need to have a very, very heavy defense-laden draft and off-season. 

Unless a new QB is snuck in there somewhere... but it's my opinion that that should not be the priority.

Defense... defense... defense... and last but not least: defense.

Oh, and maybe a fast RB, raw but with potential...

17 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

A lot of us here wanted Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah instead of Levi. Not that one player would make all the difference, but you have to wonder what things would be like with this defense had they taken JOK instead.

Sewell is a great player but the same rational goes with passing on Micah Parsons.  You wonder what this defense would look like with arguably the best defensive player in the league penciled in for the next 10 years.  

20 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

A lot of us here wanted Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah instead of Levi. Not that one player would make all the difference, but you have to wonder what things would be like with this defense had they taken JOK instead.

Yep it's not hindsight I definitely wanted JOK as did others, I even went as far as to suggest drafting him with our first pick if we ended up trading back like some thought pre draft. 

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yep it's not hindsight I definitely wanted JOK as did others, I even went as far as to suggest drafting him with our first pick if we ended up trading back like some thought pre draft. 

Funny thing is that the rumors around the league is that JOK fell to where he did due to medical concerns, no way of knowing if that is why the Lions passed on him but it would be the Lions luck for the them to pass on the superior talent due to injury concerns only for him to stay healthy and the guy you picked be the one to be injured. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

17 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Sewell is a great player but the same rational goes with passing on Micah Parsons.  You wonder what this defense would look like with arguably the best defensive player in the league penciled in for the next 10 years.  

I think the big difference is Sewell is trending to be an All Pro player and key contributor on the offensive line. Whereas Levi hasn't hardly played a snap with this team. Levi looks like a complete bust and JOK looks like a stud. Both Sewell and Parsons look like All Pro studs.

I didn't fact check this but assuming it's true and assuming by contributor he means the guy is atleast an averagish starter than this could be the difference between us being where we're at now and being a legit division contender. Subbbing 5 non factors for contributors would do wonders for this team. 

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Just swap Levi and St Brown in the draft order and nobody has a problem. Sure you would like to have a contributor from the 2nd round along with St Brown, but it doesn't always work that way. 

True it is arbitrary to just pick out a single round and perhaps if we picked a different round we would look better than the others but I just thought it put in perspective our 2nd round results compared to our peers. We all knew about our problems there but many of us didn't know how everybody else faired there as well and if we truly that much worse than everybody or if it just isn't common to get a bunch of contributors in the 2nd.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I didn't fact check this but assuming it's true and assuming by contributor he means the guy is atleast an averagish starter than this could be the difference between us being where we're at now and being a legit division contender. Subbbing 5 non factors for contributors would do wonders for this team. 

all of those bears second round contributors suck except for jaylon johnson and james daniels and james daniels doesnt play for them anymore.

javon brisker might turn out ok though...

I think a bit much is being made of the current regime's history on second-round picks. Counting Levi, they're 0/1. Of course the rest of Lions history sucks at second round picks.... pretty much everything related to the Lions history sucks. We shouldn't be surprised.

Just because Paschal was hurt though doesn't mean he's going to be chronically hurt like Levi, or that he's even remotely close to being a bust right now. We aren't saying that Jaymo is a bust just because he hasn't seen the field.

Let him develop and let's be fair.

I think it's fair to arbitrarily single out the second round picks as a problem.  Sure, we hit on some picks after that but so do other teams.  The thing that separates the Lions is the second round pick, which theoretically should be a higher probability success player.  If you take the time to prove that over a 5-10 year period, the Lions are as successful as any other team rounds 2-7, then you can make the argument we shouldn't be discussing the second round issue.  But I have not seen that argument yet.