2022 Detroit Lions Regular Season Thread

1984Echoes

8 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Goff

Goff hasn't mastered the deep ball (though I think with the right receiver like Williams he would be better), but in every other phase he has done very well so far.  

Campbell has utterly transformed this offense into a powerhouse of running and passing.  He and BJ are a very very strong pair, obviously.

Campbell probably doesn't have similar defensive insight but if he could find the right brains to partner with I have to imagine the defense would be a lot better....maybe below average, but not all-time bad like this, which is clearly a reflection of both underpowered personnel and utterly shitty D-scheme.

22 hours ago, buddha said:

he gets almost all his pressures from stunts.  i dont think ive seen him beat a tackle cleanly yet.

I agree.  I am still frustrated with the way the Lions are using him and hoping we see something different next week. 

His first and second sacks against Washington came on just pure effort and not giving up on a play.  That is prototypical Hutchinson and he will get more sacks than most that way.  The third sack was a stunt.  But for the Lions to to really maximize his potential, they are going to have to use him more like Michigan used him last year.  

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Last year we were -38 in differential through 4 games, this year -1 so another sign of some yearly progress. Yeah ultimately you have to start winning but I think we sometimes forget just how bad we were a year ago at this time. 

This is true. If you had told me the day they fired Quinn & Patricia that the new regime would have even one side of ball in pretty good shape going into their second year, I might have said that sounded pretty good.

On 10/4/2022 at 4:55 PM, Motown Bombers said:

Tom Kennedy has more receptions and yards this season than Kenny Golladay.

I suspect it would be rather hard to find a WR that has fewer receptions and yards than Golladay.

EDIT:I looked it up...  of WR that have played at least two games so far there are eight who have fewer receptions and fewer yards than Golladay:

Phillip Dorsett
Bryan Edwards
Tutu Atwell
Juwann Winfree
Montrell Washington
Tylan Wallace
Jeff Smith
Cam Sims

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

This is encouraging to me. I've always felt like past ownership teams have been very complacent and reactive, rather than proactive. It sounds like she is involved to the right degree.

Well William Clay Ford allowed his drinking buddy Russ Thomas to be GM for 30 years. If it weren't for his son stepping in and axing Millen, he'd have allowed Millen to be here as long as Russ Thomas was. So it is a low bar, but given that Sheila fired Quinn and Patricia fairly quickly into her tenure, it does seem like she has more involvement and expects more accountability than her dad ever did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Well William Clay Ford allowed his drinking buddy Russ Thomas to be GM for 30 years. If it weren't for his son stepping in and axing Millen, he'd have allowed Millen to be here as long as Russ Thomas was. So it is a low bar, but given that Sheila fired Quinn and Patricia fairly quickly into her tenure, it does seem like she has more involvement and expects more accountability than her dad ever did.

his son is also the guy who hired millen in the first place, and sheila gave quinn and patricia an extra year when she first got there.

i'm hopeful sheila will be different but lets see hownit works.  she does have ford blood in her veins so you never know...

Just now, buddha said:

his son is also the guy who hired millen in the first place, and sheila gave quinn and patricia an extra year when she first got there.

i'm hopeful sheila will be different but lets see hownit works.  she does have ford blood in her veins so you never know...

Look, I hate the incompetent Fords as much as anyone. I'm just really, actively trying to be a more thoughtful, less negative, reactionary fan than I've been in the past. I want to be honest, open, and give Sheila a chance that she can be different than her dad and mom. That she can build a winning franchise. I want to have some hope remaining.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

I believer that WCF Jr at some point which would have been after the Millen hire, decided he had to spend his full attention with FoMoCo and pulled away from involvement with the Lions. 

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Look, I hate the incompetent Fords as much as anyone. I'm just really, actively trying to be a more thoughtful, less negative, reactionary fan than I've been in the past. I want to be honest, open, and give Sheila a chance that she can be different than her dad and mom. That she can build a winning franchise. I want to have some hope remaining.

come on!  we come on this site for less thoughtful, more reactionary and negative responses!  🙂

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

have you seen our baseball team?

Yeah, Al Avila (Ah-vi-lah) got fired and Chris Illitch did the unexpected hiring Scott Harris instead of just promoting Sam Menzin like I thought he was going to do. A number of Detroit/Michigan teams lately have been pleasantly surprising me. I really like the Harris hire. I liked the Brad Holmes hire. I like that Harbaugh is finally righting the ship at Michigan. I love Yzerman. Dan Campbell and Aaron Glenn are testing my patience, but I am really, earnestly trying to give it the necessary time before I just rag on them, Sheila, and this franchise for being the same old lions.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1