2022 Detroit Lions Regular Season Thread

1984Echoes

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The other option was to play the hand out a little further.  Keep him and see if he could develop into an elite TE the rest of this season and next.  They could try to trade him at the deadline next year too.  Worst case, he walks in FA and maybe they get a compensatory pick down the road.  

I hear this, but how much longer does he get to prove this? He’s in the 5th year option of his rookie deal and we’ve seen him both with Stafford and with Goff; with surrounding weapons and without.

I don’t think 10 more games in a lost season is going to tell us anything we don’t already know.

36 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I hear this, but how much longer does he get to prove this? He’s in the 5th year option of his rookie deal and we’ve seen him both with Stafford and with Goff; with surrounding weapons and without.

I don’t think 10 more games in a lost season is going to tell us anything we don’t already know.

I get this as well but the return wasn’t that strong and we are trading him in division.   He’s actually in his 4th year and the team had him under control for another year.   Waiting a year would’ve possibly presented some other options for the team.

End of the day,  I don’t hate this deal and part of me likes the fact Brad had the balls to pull it off.

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1

I'm fine with the decision to trade Hockenson. The writing was on the wall when they came out of the bye with a contract extension for the punter and not Hockenson. I would have expected a better return but am reminded the Bears got a 2nd and 5th for Roquan and traded a 2nd for Claypool so it seems fair. I think the extra cap space needs to be considered. Lions now have 5 picks in the top 65 and can clear a lot of cap space this year.

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I get this as well but the return wasn’t that strong and we are trading him in division.   He’s actually in his 4th year and the team had him under control for another year.   Waiting a year would’ve possibly presented some other options for the team.

End of the day,  I don’t hate this deal and part of me likes the fact Brad had the balls to pull it off.

If a player isn't in your long term plans and is nearing UFA, it's best to trade him before his value dissolves completely. That year of team control allowed them to get "something" for him. 

As others have said, it's a meh trade but it's understandable why Holmes went this route. I was really surprised that he pulled the trigger tbh.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Even if Hock is a top 5 TE unless he is elite there is little difference between the production you get from an average TE and above TE.

The production difference is maybe 200 yards over the course of the season and that's being generous. In most cases you an sub in a plethora of average to below average guys and get within 10 yards in any given game of what you're gonna get with a non elite guy. There just simply isn't a ton of value in that position. 

exactly.

he is not a game breaking tight end.  he's a guy who usually catches the ball and falls down.  he aint george kittle or travis kelce or darren waller.  and if youre not one of those guys at tight end, you're easily replaceable.

another bob quinn failure for where he was picked in the draft and what he was billed to be.

im just a little underwhelmed at the return, but given what i think about him i probably shouldnt be.

13 minutes ago, NYLion said:

If a player isn't in your long term plans and is nearing UFA, it's best to trade him before his value dissolves completely. That year of team control allowed them to get "something" for him. 

As others have said, it's a meh trade but it's understandable why Holmes went this route. I was really surprised that he pulled the trigger tbh.

I understand this viewpoint but the NFL has a compensatory draft pick program and it’s quite possible they could’ve picked up an extra 3rd, 4th, or 5th draft pick had he left after next season.    As it stands now, they may not actually get any additional picks from trading Hockenson.

I will add the caveat that I expect the Lions to be in serious FA acquisition mode after 2023 and it’s quite possible they will acquire more FA than they lose and wouldn’t qualify for any additional picks.  

9 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I understand this viewpoint but the NFL has a compensatory draft pick program and it’s quite possible they could’ve picked up an extra 3rd, 4th, or 5th draft pick had he left after next season.    As it stands now, they may not actually get any additional picks from trading Hockenson.

I will add the caveat that I expect the Lions to be in serious FA acquisition mode after 2023 and it’s quite possible they will acquire more FA than they lose and wouldn’t qualify for any additional picks.  

I think they wanted a better pick in this draft. I was always thought that this was probably going to be the most important draft of the Holmes era in terms of the QB decision and having the extra high picks so now he has another asset (better bean) to make some hay while also clearing $9m+ of cap space this offseason to fill other areas of need (cough defense cough). 

Edited by NYLion
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Also... what are the conditions on the "conditional" pick?

If Hock plays x-amount of plays for the Vikes (or gets a certain number of catches/ yards...) could that pick actually DROP to a 5th or 6th that we would have to convey? That would make the trade, at face value, improve some.

We have no idea.  I took this to mean that depending on the condition, we either throw in an extra 4th or we don’t.  Unknown at this point if that is correct or not.  

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions drafted Mitchell coming off an injury so I think they are going to try to work him up to be TE1 by next year. Brock Wright will be TE1 for the rest of this year.

Yes, Mitchell finally got a few snaps on Sunday. 

I like the deal. Don’t love it, but I like it a lot more than paying Hock $50 million. That is money that needs to be spent on the secondary. 

Another thing that hurt Hock is that he just never consistently developed into that real red zone threat you need from your TE if he isn't going to be a plus blocker or big play guy. 

Where TE's provide extra value over their raw numbers is when they give you bonus of being a real TD threat when the field condenses near the goal line. Hock was never that guy you could just throw it up to and expect him to either create the separation needed to get the ball or just out jump the defender for the 50/50 ball. 

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Also... what are the conditions on the "conditional" pick?

I read that if the Vikings win a playoff game this year, the conditional pick becomes a 5th rounder.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that the 2024 fourth-round pick from the Lions will convert to a fifth-round pick if the Vikings win a playoff game.