2022 Detroit Lions Regular Season Thread

1984Echoes

ESPN gave the Vikes a B+ and us a B for the trade and that's about where Im at. I think given where the Vikings are at any upgrade no matter how small or how insignificant the position could be the difference between a playoff win or loss so in that regard I give them the slight win but it certainly wasn't a home run or albatross for either side. 

I’d give us C+ and the Vikes a B+ 

The Vikes were able to get a quality TE to replace their inured quality TE without having to give up any draft picks.   That’s a nice move for them.

We were able to get something for a slightly above average player who was going to see his salary rise by $9M next year before wanting a long term deal worth much more.   We were also able to improve draft position.  

Edited by Hongbit

The in the division stuff is overrated imo, now if we were say 5-2 and directly competing for the division with the Vikings then sure I'd be upset if we helped them improve but we're not competing with them this year and likely not next year either so helping them right now doesn't mean anything to me.   

Edited by RandyMarsh

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The in the division stuff is overrated imo, now if we were say 5-2 and directly competing for the division with the Vikings then sure I'd be upset if we helped them improve but we're not competing with them this year and likely not next year either so helping them right now doesn't mean anything to me.   

The biggest issue with division in this case is draft. Not only will he help beat us twice, and we know he will, that will hurt the picks we get back. At least in another division teams could beat him and make the pick better

2 hours ago, Kamakzie said:

It kinda makes me feel sick to my stomach that we traded Hock to an in division team. Any chance Campbell is on the hot seat for this lousy season?

His seat doesn't get hot until Week 1 2023.

They were never going to compete this season, despite what Walter Football said. Especially not with almost half their starting offense injured for almost half of the season, and a defense whose best player has arguably been a toss up between a guy coming off an Achilles tear and a guy who was picked in the sixth round. 

14 hours ago, KL2 said:

The biggest issue with division in this case is draft. Not only will he help beat us twice, and we know he will, that will hurt the picks we get back. At least in another division teams could beat him and make the pick better

But if they beat us twice...

That just improved ALL of our own draft picks, from 1st round to 7th round. Your logic works both ways here...

Hockenson has 2 games this year with over 50 yards. And he has averaged 4 receptions for 44 yards over his career. And he seemed to be a average to below average blocker.

He will be missed but I am sure the Lions didn't want to extend him at about 12-15M a year and figured now was the best time to move on. 

2 hours ago, Stanley70 said:

Hockenson has 2 games this year with over 50 yards. And he has averaged 4 receptions for 44 yards over his career. And he seemed to be a average to below average blocker.

He will be missed but I am sure the Lions didn't want to extend him at about 12-15M a year and figured now was the best time to move on. 

I think this is it.  I think they've seen how much it's going to cost in FA/Draft to upgrade this defense, & they decided there's no way we can pay that much to a TE, no matter how good he is.

2 hours ago, Stanley70 said:

I also don't think he was a focal point of this offense. This doesn't appear to be TE heavy offense. I think he will put up better numbers in Minnesota. His blocking left a lot to be desired since that was one of the selling points coming out of college. 

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think there is some truth to this statement. Not that it’s absolutely true (if the Lions were actually 6-1 I don’t think they make this trade), but I do think that dealing Hock this year was on the radar well before we started 1-6.

The thing about this trade is that it signifies different things at different levels. In the abstract, simply based on price and performance, it's a typical economics driven move any team, good or bad, might have made purely on their evaluation that the performance of the player wouldn't justify his cost. From that angle, it's fine. But with the infinitely rebuilding Lions, moving a top draft pick who should be in the prime years of his career is just another marker that any chance of a good team just took one more ratchet further into the future, so it's depressing from that angle.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

The thing about this trade is that it signifies different things at different levels. In the abstract, simply based on price and performance, it's a typical economics driven move any team, good or bad, might have made purely on their evaluation that the performance of the player wouldn't justify his cost. From that angle, it's fine. But with the infinitely rebuilding Lions, moving a top draft pick who should be in the prime years of his career is just another marker that any chance of a good team just took one more ratchet further into the future, so it's depressing from that angle.

Eh. I'm not sure it signifies anything. 2019 was not a great draft. Ten combined Pro Bowls from the first rounders and Hockenson had one of them.

The other option debated at the time was Ed Oliver, who has turned into a good rotational DT for Buffalo. In retrospect he probably would have been the better choice, especially considering he will probably sign his second contract for $15 million less than Hock. Chalk one up for the people who argued about positional value.