2022 Detroit Lions Regular Season Thread

1984Echoes

I find it hard to believe, even for Quinn, that if they had a 4th or 5th round grade on Tavai that they would draft him in the 2nd round because they felt he would be lost. It makes no sense to draft him over players you would have graded higher. I just think Quinn and Patricia legitimately felt he was a 2nd round talent. It would make sense Belichick would be high on him as well since Quinn and Patricia were Belichick disciples. 

23 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I find it hard to believe, even for Quinn, that if they had a 4th or 5th round grade on Tavai that they would draft him in the 2nd round because they felt he would be lost. It makes no sense to draft him over players you would have graded higher. I just think Quinn and Patricia legitimately felt he was a 2nd round talent. It would make sense Belichick would be high on him as well since Quinn and Patricia were Belichick disciples. 

Yeah I was kinda being facetious but I wouldn't be surprised if their pick was influenced by BB. Like they thought that if BB sees something in him there must be something there which in turn made them highlight any positives they saw and downplay the weaknesses. 

1 minute ago, TP_Fan said:

Well that should do it. 

Campbell already scapegoated his OC last year with firing Anthony Lynn. Aaron Glenn got to pull his card this year with Aubrey Pleasant getting fired. I think we are real close to the "you better start improving and winning or else" phase of Campbell's tenure as Head Coach. If this defense still doesn't improve and Aaron Glenn has to get fired, that says a lot about Campbell.

22 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Campbell already scapegoated his OC last year with firing Anthony Lynn. Aaron Glenn got to pull his card this year with Aubrey Pleasant getting fired. I think we are real close to the "you better start improving and winning or else" phase of Campbell's tenure as Head Coach. If this defense still doesn't improve and Aaron Glenn has to get fired, that says a lot about Campbell.

Well, when Campbell took over the offense it got a lot better and the offense is a lot better with Ben Johnson so no it isn't scapegoating. 

40 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Well, when Campbell took over the offense it got a lot better and the offense is a lot better with Ben Johnson so no it isn't scapegoating. 

I think Lynn was the scapegoat insofar as the offense was performing poorly, they deemed it to be all or mostly his fault, and he got fired as a result. Has the offense improved under Ben Johnson and Campbell? Absolutely it has. Is it where we want it to be though? No, not at all. This team, for all the points they have put up, has 0 TDs in the 2nd half in 3 of the last 4 games in October. You can't build a successful team or offense by not scoring at all in the 2nd half of games. That fault has to lay at someone's feet.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

17 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think Lynn was the scapegoat insofar as the offense was performing poorly, they deemed it to be all or mostly his fault, and he got fired as a result. Has the offense improved under Ben Johnson and Campbell? Absolutely it has. Is it where we want it to be though? No, not at all. This team, for all the points they have put up, has 0 TDs in the 2nd half in 3 of the last 4 games in October. You can't build a successful team or offense by not scoring at all in the 2nd half of games. That fault has to lay at someone's feet.

The offense is the least of this team's concerns. The offense played well enough to win 5 games. It is significantly improved since Lynn was let go. 

The Lions only had three possessions in the 2nd half. One they committed 20 yards of penalties which put them in a 2nd and 30 killed the drive, the other they drove down into field goal range but turned it over on downs due to needing a TD, the other was a 5 play drive in which they gave up a sack. Miami had long sustained drives in that half that took the ball out of the offense's hands. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

The offense is the least of this team's concerns. The offense played well enough to win 5 games. It is significantly improved since Lynn was let go. 

We're 1-6 this year. In two of the six losses we didn't score a TD in the game at all. We haven't scored a TD in the second half of a game in the last 3 games. While I agree that the offense has played well/extremely well at times, stats like that can't be ignored or discounted under the guise of "well the offense has played well and it's not the problem." There are two halves of football and in 3 games in a row, we've failed to score TDs in the second half of a game. That is a problem.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

We're 1-6 this year. In two of the six losses we didn't score a TD in the game at all. We haven't scored a TD in the second half of a game in the last 3 games. While I agree that the offense has played well/extremely well at times, stats like that can't be ignored or discounted under the guise of "well the offense has played well and it's not the problem." There are two halves of football and in 3 games in a row, we've failed to score TDs in the second half of a game. That is a problem.

I'm old enough to remember when the Lions scored a bunch of second half points you accused Stafford of stat padding. They scored 27 points. That should be enough to win. Buffalo scored 27 points with only 3 coming in the 2nd half and they won by 10. The issue with this team is the defense. 

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm old enough to remember when the Lions scored a bunch of second half points you accused Stafford of stat padding. They scored 27 points. That should be enough to win. Buffalo scored 27 points with only 3 coming in the 2nd half and they won by 10. The issue with this team is the defense. 

When they scored 0 points against Dallas and New England was the defense the issue?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I was surprised to see Pleasant fired. My immediate reaction is approval though.

I think it distinguishes this suck from prior sucks. There is not an attitude of “oh well, we weren’t given anything by Quinntricia”, there is an expectation coming from somewhere in the organization.

I also think that Sheila is upset with herself for giving Patricia a third year. I don’t think we finish 1-16. But if we did, I would expect Campbell would be fired, despite the extended timeline he and Holmes were given. 

Also there is a difference between scoring in the second half and scoring in the second half when you are consistently down in football games and having to claw your way back week after week. it isn't so much the scoring in the second half issue I had with Stafford and the Lions offense. Rather, it was constantly being down and having to try to come from behind win. Also, scoring when the other team is switching over to a soft zone style of coverage, not pressing at the line, and giving the offense more room to operate, hence the stat padding comments from many fans.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I was surprised to see Pleasant fired. My immediate reaction is approval though.

I think it distinguishes this suck from prior sucks. There is not an attitude of “oh well, we weren’t given anything by Quinntricia”, there is an expectation coming from somewhere in the organization.

I also think that Sheila is upset with herself for giving Patricia a third year. I don’t think we finish 1-16. But if we did, I would expect Campbell would be fired, despite the extended timeline he and Holmes were given. 

What if the bottom doesn't fall out to the point of 1-16. Is there a win total beyond 1 game where if we achieve less than that you believe Sheila will fire Campbell?

I don't think Campbell is going anywhere, regardless of what happens. I'm still on board with him coming back next year myself. But being supportive of Campbell gets harder and harder as the weeks go by and the losses pile up.

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Also there is a difference between scoring in the second half and scoring in the second half when you are consistently down in football games and having to claw your way back week after week. it isn't so much the scoring in the second half issue I had with Stafford and the Lions offense. Rather, it was constantly being down and having to try to come from behind win. Also, scoring when the other team is switching over to a soft zone style of coverage, not pressing at the line, and giving the offense more room to operate, hence the stat padding comments from many fans.

You should be happy then that the Lions were are scoring when the other team is really trying. Considering this defense can't stop anyone, they are always going to be down unless they score on every possession which is simply unreasonable. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Nope, but like I said the offense has been good enough to win in 5 of 7 games. Odd hill you seem to want to die on when the Lions have the 8th best offense in PPG this season. 

Who said I am dying on the hill? We're simply having a discussion about the Lions offense and coaching staff this season on a message board. It's on Campbell when his offense looks good one week and defense doesn't, then defense looks respectable and the offense gets blanked. Part of being a successful, well coached team is to put a good product out on the field on both sides of the ball, together, each week. We haven't seen a game yet where both the offense and defense looked good at the same time, in the same game. That's on Campbell. If another coach gets fired as a result of the poor performances, Lynn, Pleasant, whomever, that's on Campbell too since he hired them to begin with.