2022 Detroit Lions Regular Season Thread

1984Echoes

11 minutes ago, Hart said:

I think it's fair to arbitrarily single out the second round picks as a problem.  Sure, we hit on some picks after that but so do other teams.  The thing that separates the Lions is the second round pick, which theoretically should be a higher probability success player.  If you take the time to prove that over a 5-10 year period, the Lions are as successful as any other team rounds 2-7, then you can make the argument we shouldn't be discussing the second round issue.  But I have not seen that argument yet.  

I think it's a fair criticism of the organization en masse, but I have a hard time transferring blame from regime to regime. I don't want to judge Holmes for the 2nd Round blunders that Quinn, Mayhew, and Millen made, because for one it gives me a shorter fuse than is fair to Holmes, and for another, it can quickly dash the hope that I have that Holmes can be the guy that all of his predecessors weren't.

FWIW based on 2021 alone, the Vikings didn't have a 2nd round pick but picked Kellen Mond with the 2nd pick of the 3rd round, who they've already waived. The Packers selected the center Josh Meyers, who was also hurt last year - only played in six games - and is starting this year, but is anchoring an offensive line that has allowed Rodgers to be sacked nine times thus far (tied for 10th most in the league). Jury is definitely still out, and it's also worth mention that pick was one selection before the Chiefs also took a center, Creed Humphrey, who was the only offensive rookie to receive PFF 1st Team All Pro... The Bears selected an offensive tackle Teven Jenkins, who was also hurt for almost all of last year, and is now splitting snaps at guard.... on the Bears offensive line.

I'm not out here to say "it's okay to whiff because our divisional rivals whiffed too", but taken in context, maybe having a bust in the 2nd Round (at least in 2021) isn't such an indication on a poor GM and scouting department as it was when Quinn took Tavai over Maxx Crosby or Mayhew took Ryan Broyles over TY Hilton.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Last night's Rams game against the 49'ers was all my Stafford complaints wrapped up into one, minus the garbage time, Stat Padford yards. Good for him though that he disproved me last year already by winning a Super Bowl, so I can't take an "I told you so" victory lap.

you cant take an "i told you so" victory lap because you were 100% wrong.  and its funny that you come on now after a bad game to talk about it.

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Last night's Rams game against the 49'ers was all my Stafford complaints wrapped up into one, minus the garbage time, Stat Padford yards. Good for him though that he disproved me last year already by winning a Super Bowl, so I can't take an "I told you so" victory lap.

I bet his Super Bowl ring is inscribed with the words “Garbage Time.”