2022 Detroit Lions Regular Season Thread

1984Echoes

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Its a fine line between giving a GM/Coach too much rope or cutting them too early. Yeah the Lions haven't made the progress in the win/loss department like I hoped but unlike with Quinntricia I can see some positive things that Holmes/Campbell have brought to the table despite that. I believe Holmes knows what he is doing and while Campbell has made some mistakes on the field that is only one part of being a HC and maybe the most insignificant part at that.

When your mistakes on the field cost you games they are no longer insignificant though. Campbell cost us the Baltimore game last year and the Minnesota game this year with coaching blunders. That can't happen. You should never be talking about coaching as a direct reason that you lose a game and we've had that conversation one a season so far with Campbell.

14 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

When your mistakes on the field cost you games they are no longer insignificant though. Campbell cost us the Baltimore game last year and the Minnesota game this year with coaching blunders. That can't happen. You should never be talking about coaching as a direct reason that you lose a game and we've had that conversation one a season so far with Campbell.

I think saying he "cost us" those games is a bit of a stretch. I would those games a step or two below Schwartz throwing a challenge flag on a play that was already under review against the Texans (and costing us a TD in a game we lost by 3 in OT), or Caldwell inexplicably protecting the sidelines against Aaron Rodgers.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think saying he "cost us" those games is a bit of a stretch. I would those games a step or two below Schwartz throwing a challenge flag on a play that was already under review against the Texans (and costing us a TD in a game we lost by 3 in OT), or Caldwell inexplicably protecting the sidelines against Aaron Rodgers.

I think if Campbell doesn't use the timeout in the way he did in the Baltimore game we have a better chance at winning that game. With the Minnesota game he's got a twofer with the decision kick the field goal (which he admitted cost us the game) and the errant use of a timeout to stop the clock when Minnesota was driving without any timeouts left, instead of allowing the running clock to continue.

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think if Campbell doesn't use the timeout in the way he did in the Baltimore game we have a better chance at winning that game. With the Minnesota game he's got a twofer with the decision kick the field goal (which he admitted cost us the game) and the errant use of a timeout to stop the clock when Minnesota was driving without any timeouts left, instead of allowing the running clock to continue.

I think those are all fair criticisms, but I think they are arguable. There is a position you can take to defend those decisions, and had they gone the other way, they’d already be forgotten.

To say a single decision cost us a 60-minute football game is a very high bar. YMMV.

Edited by MichiganCardinal
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2022 at 1:05 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

I always felt like Hock was much better than Ebron. Maybe it was Ebron's drops, and that Hock never had any real talent surrounding him.

Well, keep in mind that Hock played 47 games with the Lions vs. Ebron's 56.  So, on a per game basis:

Ebron: 
Yards: 37
Receptions: 3.32
TDs: 0.2

Hock:
Yards: 44
Receptions: 4.23
TDs: 0.32

Now, while those are better numbers, they are phenomenally better.  Which makes me think the trade was a better idea.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Well, keep in mind that Hock played 47 games with the Lions vs. Ebron's 56.  So, on a per game basis:

Ebron: 
Yards: 37
Receptions: 3.32
TDs: 0.2

Hock:
Yards: 44
Receptions: 4.23
TDs: 0.32

Now, while those are better numbers, they are phenomenally better.  Which makes me think the trade was a better idea.

I think you left out the  critical 'not', but having done that myself more then once, the point is taken....

:classic_smile:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RedRamage said:

... Now, while those are better numbers, they are NOT phenomenally better.  Which makes me think the trade was a better idea.                                             👆

FTFY.

😁

Edited by 1984Echoes

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wish I could bet money that Campbell isn't getting fired minus some serious off the field issue.

Last week he got away with one.     You just sign a punter to the richest punter contract in history and you don't use him to pin Rodgers inside his own 10?  Instead you give Rodgers half a field after what he's done to you for years?    Stupidly lucky and an indication that he just don't get it. 

Lions currently have the 3rd easiest remaining schedule based off opponents expected winning percentage so Campbell and co. could rack up some wins here in the 2nd half. 

On a side note the hardest schedule is the Patriots with a combined expected winning percentage of their opponents of 54% vs. the easiest schedule at 46%. So you're only talking 8 percentage points between easiest and hardest, really puts into perspective the parity in the NFL.

• 2 weeks later...

its too early to judge the class.

of course it wont reach the heights that draft "experts" said it would, these are the same people who said mitch trubisky was better than patrick mahomes.

its shouldnt be a surprise that trevor lawrence cant single handedly uplift a terrible jacksonville franchise, that party boy one year wonder johnny manziel clone zach wilson is having trouble in another historically bad franchise, that mac jones is a limited qb, that trey lance is hurt, and that justin fields is a great running back playing qb.

43 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If you traded Justin Fields for Lamar Jackson straight up do you think Fields could be as good as Lamar is on the Ravens? Isn't Lamar just a RB playing QB? Could Fields find the success Lamar has if he was on a well coached team with a good offensive line and a legit weapon or two around him?

any qb would look good with a good offensive line and good weapons around him.  jared goff isnt that good of a qb but he's looked pretty darn good when the oline holds up, swift is healthy, and the lions mighty mite receivers are open.

fields could turn into lamar jackson (who hasnt won anything, btw, and isnt exactly playing on an offensive juggernaut right now) or he could be mitch trubisky (who played pretty well on a 12-4 bears team a few years ago).  as i said before  its too early to make any conclusions on that qb draft class yet.

you should come to chicago, where justin fields has already been annointed as the next aaron rogers and tom brady combined into one.

On 11/14/2022 at 10:43 AM, chasfh said:

Can we offer them Aaron Glenn while they're at it? 

twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1592186515299655681?s=20&t=T6QtAOwnyetAnup6mA

aaron glenn has looked a lot better once he started coaching dbs and calling the defense.

he's also going to get some serious looks as a head coaching candidate next year.