The pet peeve thread

People that don't respect start times.

I participate in fitness classes 3-4 times a week.

Nearly every session you have people showing up 5-10 minutes after the class starts.  For newcomers it's more disruptive because they don't know what to do.  So the instructor has to stop what they are doing/saying and tell them what they  need to prepare.  It's not just a random person here or there.  It's consistent enough that it's a cultural/societal lack of respect.  These are not 'drop in' situations where you can just come in any time during the session and do what you want.  They are programmed classes with warmups, etc.

It's especially bad for yoga classes. The lights are dimmed, it's peaceful... then here comes someone slamming the door making a bunch of noise.  Just total disrespect.

12 minutes ago, oblong said:

Nearly every session you have people showing up 5-10 minutes after the class starts.  For newcomers it's more disruptive because they don't know what to do.  So the instructor has to stop what they are doing/saying and tell them what they  need to prepare.  It's not just a random person here or there.  It's consistent enough that it's a cultural/societal lack of respect.  These are not 'drop in' situations where you can just come in any time during the session and do what you want.  They are programmed classes with warmups, etc.

It's especially bad for yoga classes. The lights are dimmed, it's peaceful... then here comes someone slamming the door making a bunch of noise.  Just total disrespect.

So related to this....

At U of M, from time immemorial, classes *ended* on the hour, so that even though a class would be scheduled for 9:00am, it didn't really start until 9:10 because the class change time was built into the beginning of the hour instead of the end. The net result of this was that a culture of "10 minutes after" totally permeated everything else in Ann Arbor, to the point where the natives simply referred to appointments as being "on Michigan time", meaning don't expect to start until 10 after. Well, the Lord moves in mysterious ways because in 2018, TPTB at the U, for who knows why, finally decided to have classes actually start when listed and end at ten till. We live in a different city now.    :classic_laugh:

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

So related to this....

At U of M, from time immemorial, classes *ended* on the hour, so that even though a class would be scheduled for 9:00am, it didn't really start until 9:10 because the class change time was built into the beginning of the hour instead of the end. The net result of this was that a culture of "10 minutes after" totally permeated everything else in Ann Arbor, to the point where the natives simply referred to appointments as being "on Michigan time", meaning don't expect to start until 10 after. Well, the Lord moves in mysterious ways because in 2018, TPTB at the U, for who knows why, finally decided to have classes actually start when listed and end at ten till. We live in a different city now.    :classic_laugh:

You just unlocked some hidden memories.  I didn't go to U of M but the whole concept of having 10-15 minutes between classes thing.  One semester I thought it would be cool to just go 2 days a week, I commuted to Wayne State.  So I had 4 classes on Tue/Thur, same type of setup, around an hour and 40 min each day.  But I had them on opposite ends of the campus so I had just enough time to get to each one.  Not sure what I did to eat.  And this was in January-May.  It was fun during the days like we've had this week.  And books.  We still used books in 1994.  That bag was heavy.  Carrying that while bundled up builds up a sweat. 

3 hours ago, oblong said:

Gym related pet peeves peek in January. I assume the timing here is not a coincidence. 

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Gym related pet peeves peek in January. I assume the timing here is not a coincidence. 

Yep.  Newbies are always welcomed and we engage with them after to see how they liked the class.  My son is a building supervisor where this gym is located and spends most of his day dealing with problems.

Media conflating men's and women's basketball records. Nothing at all against the women's game, but the winningest women's coach is an apple and the winningest men's coach is an orange. Stop comparing them on the same scale.

On 1/19/2024 at 12:23 PM, oblong said:

You'd think they might consider locking the doors when class starts so latecomers miss out that session, learn from it, and never sin again, but that would tick people off, which would cause people to quit, which would lead to negative social media posts, which would cost them future students and revenue, so, probably not.

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Media conflating men's and women's basketball records. Nothing at all against the women's game, but the winningest women's coach is an apple and the winningest men's coach is an orange. Stop comparing them on the same scale.

"What's this 'WNBA' I keep hearing about? Do white people have their own league now?"

This might be only a me thing, but, here goes.

When I am working out a situation in person or on the phone with a vendor—a rental car agency, for example—and they lay out what the situation is, I like to explain it back to them and have them answer yes or no to make sure I understand. Seems easy to me: "OK, let me play it back to you to see if I understand—this, then this, then that. Do I have that straight?" And they reply either yes that's right, or no this other thing instead. Then I play it back again with the correction to make sure I have it right, until we are both on the same page. Sounds logical and even easy, to me, anyway.

Most of the time it works fine, but every once in a while, you get someone who simply can't do this, or who don't understand what I'm trying to do. I say, "Let me play this back to see whether I understand ...", I get one point into it, then they take over replaying part of the spiel and start introducing new information that didn't come out before. Then I say, "OK, let me see if I understand that ...", and I get one point into that, and then they say, no no no no you're not listening to me, and then start the whole thing all over again, perhaps with points they had made before now missing. Meanwhile, I'm going crazy because they're going all over the place and scrambling my understanding of the situation. It's maddening.

It was even worse today because when I started explaining what I thought I understood, the rental car agent started talking over me, I was talking over her to ask her please, just listen to me and let me explain it to you so I understand, and she did not pause for even a beat from her obviously scripted spiel. As it turns out, when I finally did get through to her with my understanding of it, she had completely misunderstood both the return date and the return venue for the car. I imagine she was getting flustered and was retreating into the known spiel to anchor herself which, fine, I suppose I get that, but that doesn't help me understand the deal we're trying to work out. It had basically descended into a battle of wills.

Some people apparently cannot effectively process changes on their feet. Everything they deal with has to fit neatly into whatever the spiel they learned is, or they withdraw or shut down. Those people should not have jobs facing customers.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You'd think they might consider locking the doors when class starts so latecomers miss out that session, learn from it, and never sin again, but that would tick people off, which would cause people to quit, which would lead to negative social media posts, which would cost them future students and revenue, so, probably not.

They tried that but then people start knocking.... and that makes it worse.

And there's a gray area because some people who are regulars are late but it's not disruptive because they know the drill and are quiet about it and everyone recognizes the name.  It's more about "new" people who need assistance or guidance.  Some "regulars" are late because they might have been on the indoor track running or coming from another class where they are already warm.

But too often it's just people you never see again doing it.  I think there's a certain cultural thing at play too where everything is a suggestion. "Oh, they do it from 6 to 7?  I'll go in and see what it's about...." 

• 2 weeks later...

You guys who are in OOTP leagues have probably seen plenty of this: one of the other owners will announce that they need to move one of their big league regulars for prospects, you make an opening offer, they say “nope”, and then they ghost you, even after you ask them whether they want to make a counter. Some guys treat trades as a one-shot best-offer-only deal rather than a negotiation, and some even act indignant with you after indicating your offer doesn’t measure up for them. Then they wonder why nobody wants to trade with them.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

You guys who are in OOTP leagues have probably seen plenty of this: one of the other owners will announce that they need to move one of their big league regulars for prospects, you make an opening offer, they say “nope”, and then they ghost you, even after you ask them whether they want to make a counter. Some guys treat trades as a one-shot best-offer-only deal rather than a negotiation, and some even act indignant with you after indicating your offer doesn’t measure up for them. Then they wonder why nobody wants to trade with them.

That's why I quit playing fantasy type games.  Another reason is I couldn't keep up. You get an email during working hours on a trade and then I have to check around to see if they know something I dont... then you get back to them and they already moved the player.  It stopped being fun for me. I do miss it.  I got a special kick out of Todd Helton making the HOF because he was someone I drafted in a keeper league before he got really good and he was a star for me for a few seasons. 

22 minutes ago, oblong said:

That's why I quit playing fantasy type games.  Another reason is I couldn't keep up. You get an email during working hours on a trade and then I have to check around to see if they know something I dont... then you get back to them and they already moved the player.  It stopped being fun for me. I do miss it.  I got a special kick out of Todd Helton making the HOF because he was someone I drafted in a keeper league before he got really good and he was a star for me for a few seasons. 

I don't mind losing out on the trade to someone else—I always assume guys are working multiple channels on trades—I just hate when I make an offer, or a request for them to look my system over for possibilities, and they just ignore me. At least tell me, sorry, you don't have the kinds of players I need. That, I would totally understand, and appreciate. No need treat the other guy like an asshole during the process.

Pizza makers that leave a lot of crust.  I don't get it.  Who wants to be left holding a hard piece of bread?  I understand you want to leave some bit of a crust to hold on to.  But some places go too far.  What is your limit?  For me it's under an inch.  About as much as my fingertips can touch without getting stuff on them.

• Like 1

another one for today:

Municpal payment services that are still set in 2001 in terms of technology.

Like... is it necessary to lock our account?  If someone wants to come in here and pay my taxes and water bill... have at it.

Nobody writes checks anymore.  Nobody wants to drive up and use a kiosk in February.

I'm trying to give you money.

Why make it harder?

When did people start saying the word "on" like ooawn, instead of ahn? I'm not sure I ever heard it before maybe a decade or so ago, except from people out east, like New York City. Now it seems like practically everyone is doing it, especially people under a certain age, and they are really, really punching the oo part, it seems.

I hear it a lot in hip-hop, and like most black cool culture, it has seeped into general usage. Like I say, I always thought it was a New York thing, but when I started hearing people I know are not natives of New York use it—like west Texas native Cody Stavenhagen on his podcast—when I start hearing people like that using it, I'm thinking, OK, they're putting it on. I think he actually worked on it to try to sound cool, because I'm pretty sure that's not how west Texas people say it.

36 minutes ago, chasfh said:

When did people start saying the word "on" like ooawn, instead of ahn? I'm not sure I ever heard it before maybe a decade or so ago, except from people out east, like New York City. Now it seems like practically everyone is doing it, especially people under a certain age, and they are really, really punching the oo part, it seems.

I hear it a lot in hip-hop, and like most black cool culture, it has seeped into general usage. Like I say, I always thought it was a New York thing, but when I started hearing people I know are not natives of New York use it—like west Texas native Cody Stavenhagen on his podcast—when I start hearing people like that using it, I'm thinking, OK, they're putting it on. I think he actually worked on it to try to sound cool, because I'm pretty sure that's not how west Texas people say it.

the other recent one is "Im.`pord.ent" for "im.por.tant" It 's been common for the 1st 't' to be weakly tongued, but now it's completely missing. Hear this from lots of even the most erudite Gen Z's. 

On 2/3/2024 at 3:17 PM, gehringer_2 said:

the other recent one is "Im.`pord.ent" for "im.por.tant" It 's been common for the 1st 't' to be weakly tongued, but now it's completely missing. Hear this from lots of even the most erudite Gen Z's. 

I wonder if we were watching the same thing because yesterday or the day before I had it in my head to come here to peeve this very thing.  Same with the word “button”.  We had a lady in her mid 20s giving us instructions for something at work and she kept saying “buh-en”.   “Click this buh-en”.  

18 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

You might be right, although the “impordent” one is fairly a mid-Atlantic thing, and I lived in Baltimore so I heard that one all the time.

But there is another issue attached to that word—the way Gen Z says it. Well, and Millennials and a good deal of Gen Xers, too.

Over the last couple decades or so, people have been—how do I put this?—“clipping” off the last syllable of that word.

It’s kind of hard to describe, but, I and everyone I know grew up saying it with my tongue pushing against the top of my palate on the last syllable, not really stressing either “t”, but enunicating both a bit.

Seems like how it’s said today is with the tongue away from the palate, not touching it at all, with neither “t” being expressed at all, something like im-por-‘an’, where the “n” is also mildly expressed, rather than leaned into, and, again, with the tongue off the palate.

I started noticing this maybe ten years ago or so, and I also think it comes from black cool culture, because I have noticed also that when I watch TV or movies made 30 or 40 years ago, the white actors are saying “important” (and words like it) the way I still say it, while the black actors are saying it the way young people today say it.

Not of this is a pet peeve, or even a peeve, really, but it’s just jarring still to hear people clip the syllables on words like that.

11 hours ago, oblong said:

I wonder if we were watching the same thing because yesterday or the day before I had it in my head to come here to peeve this very thing.  Same with the word “button”.  We had a lady in her mid 20s giving us instructions for something at work and she kept saying “buh-en”.   “Click this buh-en”.  

Bu’eh’.

Yeah. Same thing.

Hillary Cli’eh’, too.