The pet peeve thread

On 2/22/2024 at 4:50 PM, oblong said:

Does anybody actually like it when they go meet someone for drinks or dinner or a bite to eat… and there’s someone there playing music? Because I hate it. It’s loud. You can’t talk or hear clearly. 

No offence but the musician is at work. You're the one with options. Go somewhere else.

13 minutes ago, VegasTiger said:

No offence but the musician is at work. You're the one with options. Go somewhere else.

I tipped him.  Not mad at him but the venue should advertise that their small place with horrible acoustics will be overtaken by John Denver and Johnny Cash songs for a few hours. It’s not on a stage. They just moved some tables around, so there’s less places to sit. 2/3 of the people can’t even see him because of the layout. It’s a brewery with a long narrow space. Nobody was really paying attention.  Sorry but when it’s so loud you can’t hear the person across from you then it’s not good service.

I mean a guy could be in there using a clear blower to clean the floors and “he’s working” is not a valid excuse. 

I have another place with vinyl night where people bring their records. That’s fun because you can still carry on a conversation 

• Like 1

Around here generally the venues that provide entertainment the louder the music the worse the entertainer. That's my unprofessional opinion. If the PA system is cranked to 11, it's time to leave and cross the place off our list. One can provide entrainment an still be heard at 5 or 6

We go to a couple of wineries on a fairly regular basis. The music is usually outside if the weather permits. The performer is off to the side, you can hear them but they're unobtrusive. One winery brings in local bands in the summer, sets them up outside. There's usually enough space for those who want to dance. If we know in advance we'll throw a couple of lawn chairs in the car and head out.  

9 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Around here generally the venues that provide entertainment the louder the music the worse the entertainer. That's my unprofessional opinion. If the PA system is cranked to 11, it's time to leave and cross the place off our list. One can provide entrainment an still be heard at 5 or 6

What if they do covers of that Pootie Tang song?  

On 2/26/2024 at 8:49 PM, oblong said:

I tipped him.  Not mad at him but the venue should advertise that their small place with horrible acoustics will be overtaken by John Denver and Johnny Cash songs for a few hours. It’s not on a stage. They just moved some tables around, so there’s less places to sit. 2/3 of the people can’t even see him because of the layout. It’s a brewery with a long narrow space. Nobody was really paying attention.  Sorry but when it’s so loud you can’t hear the person across from you then it’s not good service.

I mean a guy could be in there using a clear blower to clean the floors and “he’s working” is not a valid excuse. 

I have another place with vinyl night where people bring their records. That’s fun because you can still carry on a conversation 

Yeah, I may have overreacted a bit there. Sorry 'bout that. Sensitive subject.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 5:31 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

No. 🤣

As to the rest of it, I like that the music is there as filler because my social battery drains quickly. 

This would’ve been even funnier if you had quoted the whole thing!

On 2/22/2024 at 6:50 PM, oblong said:

Does anybody actually like it when they go meet someone for drinks or dinner or a bite to eat… and there’s someone there playing music? Because I hate it. It’s loud. You can’t talk or hear clearly. 

This might be related to the idea that the louder it is in the bar or restaurant, the less customers talk because they can’t hear well so they fill the time by eating and drinking instead, so the more food and drink the establishment sells.

Obviously it can be overdone, too. I remember a few years ago meeting my brother for dinner and he chose a ramen place. I walked in a little after six and the music was at inexplicably ear-splitting volume. My brother shows up a few minutes later. We shouted pleasantries at each other for maybe two minutes, then the waitress comes by and shouts something at us. I’m not totally sure what she said, but given the context of the moment, my guess is that she was asking us whether we wanted to order something. I shouted to my brother that this was too much, shouted an apology to the waitress, who shouted back “What!?”, so we left and went to a place across the street. We were the only customers in the ramen place when we departed.

5 hours ago, VegasTiger said:

Yeah, I may have overreacted a bit there. Sorry 'bout that. Sensitive subject.

S'all Good man....

There was a place near me that had a large space with a stage and we loved going there for the music. They sponsored our softball team for 2 seasons.  I miss it.  If the place has a stage or permanent space for a band then I get it... you have to know going in that is a possibility.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 2:29 PM, oblong said:

My wife now has people entering her department that could be our kids. She definitely sees a change.  But she also noticed a change from those about 10-15 years younger than her that began about 10 years ago.  Just a general "don't care" attitude.  Do the bare minimum.  

I wonder how much of this is lifestage versus generation, i.e., kids across the eras coming into the workforce and doing the bare minimum, then straightening up as get older and they mature. I seem to remember most of my fellow young boomers being ****-arounds when we were all working at Dinos Pizzas and Burger Chefs and Perry Drugs and Chatham supermarkets, and back then, so was I.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I wonder how much of this is lifestage versus generation, i.e., kids across the eras coming into the workforce and doing the bare minimum, then straightening up as get older and they mature. I seem to remember most of my fellow young boomers being ****-arounds when we were all working at Dinos Pizzas and Burger Chefs and Perry Drugs and Chatham supermarkets, and back then, so was I.

I think there is a lot of truth in that but there is a definite difference in loyalties. For instance, the greatest generation would lie about their age to serve their country and there is no way that’s happening now. 

Granted that might not be a great example given that people back then probably had more trust for the interests of the government whereas I think that is all but gone now  (and rightfully so)

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

A little of both I think.  

In some cases I don't blame people.  It depends on your goals and who you work for.  If it's a corporation that doesn't do much else for you and you are just there to make money so you can live... then I won't care if you do the bare minimum.  You don't owe them anything extra.  It's not a charity.  Don't be a sucker.   I"m thinking about service type jobs where you as a worker have choices and options. She's in health care so they have that.  In my opinoin in an industry like that the mroal duty to serve is on the entity, not the individual.  If the entity wants to be a bunch of bean counters with no soul then it's not fair to expect the employees to pick up the slack because of their own work ethic and sacrifice rather than hire more staff.

16 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I think there is a lot of truth in that but there is a definite difference in loyalties. For instance, the greatest generation would lie about their age to serve their country and there is no way that’s happening now. 

Makes sense. Back then you had to be a soldier if you wanted to get laid! 😂

People that act like uneven weather is something new, or a Michigan thing.  It's not.  For as long as I can remember we had warm days sometimes in February and cold/snow in April and May. 

My wife has a framed cutout from a newspaper story she was in from like 1977 where the headline is "Cold day in June" and she's bundled up in a snowsuit because it was freezing temps.

yes the overall trend is a thing but the day to day fluctuations are not.  

• Like 1

Had my eye exam today (around 2pm), and those damned eye drops !! My pupils are still soooo dilated that I look like I’m on the biggest drug-high ever.…..

And, the lights are killing me,

And I can’t focus on anything close, or far. So, chances are there’s a few messups in this post. 

/end whine.  Exit.  (Old cobol folks will understand this)

15 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Had my eye exam today (around 2pm), and those damned eye drops !! My pupils are still soooo dilated that I look like I’m on the biggest drug-high ever.…..

And, the lights are killing me,

And I can’t focus on anything close, or far. So, chances are there’s a few messups in this post. 

/end whine.  Exit.  (Old cobol folks will understand this)

Years ago I went Christmas shopping after such an exam, but I got frustrated because I couldn't read any price tags. I was about to leave the mall when I saw a crowd forming at a Gamestop. Since I couldn't see anyway, I went ahead and got in line. After being in line for awhile, I asked the person in front of me what we were in line for. She said that the store had a stock of Nintendo Wii available. I thought about it for a second and decided to stay in line and get one, even though I had not planned at all to seek one out.

• Haha 1

I don't know if this qualifies as a peeve, but for the 2nd time in my career I have finished a battery of interviews for a new position - which took place over 6 months - & then was notified yesterday that it was down to me & 1 other guy - & they were going to pursue them first.  In some ways, it makes me think they liked what I had to offer - but this one came after they mistakenly sent me a rejection letter once & then rescinded it - put me thru 3 more interviews - & then moved on.  Maybe it's just because it's fresh - but I hate putting that much mental energy into something to be let down.

• Sad 3

35 minutes ago, djhutch said:

I don't know if this qualifies as a peeve, but for the 2nd time in my career I have finished a battery of interviews for a new position - which took place over 6 months - & then was notified yesterday that it was down to me & 1 other guy - & they were going to pursue them first.  In some ways, it makes me think they liked what I had to offer - but this one came after they mistakenly sent me a rejection letter once & then rescinded it - put me thru 3 more interviews - & then moved on.  Maybe it's just because it's fresh - but I hate putting that much mental energy into something to be let down.

Maybe the disconnect is mostly because my field is  engineering, but I don't think I've ever been through any kind of in depth interview process where anything in the process had anything to do with my competence or likely success level in the job. I always got the impression the  processes were mostly designed to justify the employment levels in the personnel depth. :classic_laugh:

The only things I want when I hire someone is detail on what they have already actually done, and to talk to the people who have working with them in the past. Never saw much value in anything else. We have this conceit in the US about talk - it extends in all kind of areas - employment interviews, politic decision making, you name it. We put far too much stock in what people say when we should simply be looking at what they have done. Talk is cheap, and never cheaper than when money  or jobs are on the line. The idea is to hire the best person to DO the job, not the one who can tell the best stories about doing it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, djhutch said:

These hiring practices seem abusive to me. 😕. Sorry, DJ

• Thanks 1

I don't understand dragging the hiring process out....in any field, and I'm a huge culture/fit guy. I don't think it makes the hiring organization look good....you really need all this time to make a decision? What's business decision making look like for you? 

I say this as someone that works for the federal government with a painful hiring process. 

I did a phone screening with a guy two weeks ago, panel virtual interview with him last week, and flew him here from the UK this week to put a bow on things. We had drinks tonight to talk ancillary stuff (towns to look for houses, commutes, the non-work side of the process) and he'll come into the office tomorrow to talk nuts and bolts, potential project assignments, and next steps....it'll be a done deal by Tuesday and we will just have to figure out his start date with the move back to the States factored in. 

• Thanks 1