The pet peeve thread

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I blame reality TV.

the vocal fry.

https://www.science.org/content/article/vocal-fry-creeping-us-speech

I saw a clip of a black female comedian saying "White girls talk like they are swallowing the words".   She gave an example and it was so spot on.

Another thing I noticed on a podcast is females will do this thing where they go really slow in the beginning of the sentence then it speeds up towards the end.

Yeah I hate bagging on the girls but I couldn't listen to this podcast anymore because of it and it was on a subject i enjoyed.  I just had a hard time following their conversastions as they both did it. I'd have to rewind it to re hear the second part because my brain was set on a certain pace.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

That's just a redescription rather than an explanation however. The interesting question is what drives a particular change?

Since the rise of the printing press, the dictionary, and recorded media, language has gotten much stiffer - almost immobile today. In the ~225 years from Chaucer to Shakespeare English practically turned into a different language, but we can read Shakespeare or a King James Bible 400 years later with relative ease by comparison and most rhymes still work, or watch a film that is almost 100 years old and not hear much difference at all.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Another thing I noticed on a podcast is females will do this thing where they go really slow in the beginning of the sentence then it speeds up towards the end.

I wonder whether changing speeds of delivery is something they do in post. I listen to the New York Times podcast The Daily on occasion and I suspect they ramp up the speed to 1.25x or maybe even 1.5x to compress it for listeners, rather than letting listeners make that change themselves on their app. It sounds not unlike disclaimers on radio commercials.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

That's just a redescription rather than an explanation however. The interesting question is what drives a particular change?

I think there were some explanations. I saw one saying this way of speaking is native to the west coast and so the spread of Hollywood culture has spread it across the country. I'm not sure I buy that, though, because Hollywood talkies have been the dominant cultural force since at least the 1930s, including when you and I were kids, but I see a clear generational difference in speaking. That's why I mentioned hip hop earlier—all those artists say bu'eh' and ohawn, and hip hop is the dominant music of the world, and kids have wanted to emulate them for at least the last 25 years. I'm just spitballing on this topic, but I can't explain the recency of its spread otherwise.

Edited by chasfh

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I wonder whether changing speeds of delivery is something they do in post. I listen to the New York Times podcast The Daily on occasion and I suspect they ramp up the speed to 1.25x or maybe even 1.5x to compress it for listeners, rather than letting listeners make that change themselves on their app. It sounds not unlike disclaimers on radio commercials.

In this case I don't think so... they are trying to figure out what they are going to say and once they get it in their head then they resume.  The beginning parts are pretty slow as if they are thinking about it. 

It could be a symptom of the patriarchy.... women have to talk faster before they get cut off by a man in the room.  So that just gets passed down as how you normally talk.   My father in law would talk really fast and he said it was because he was the youngest of 10 and had to do that in order to be listened to.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oblong said:

In this case I don't think so... they are trying to figure out what they are going to say and once they get it in their head then they resume.  The beginning parts are pretty slow as if they are thinking about it. 

It could be a symptom of the patriarchy.... women have to talk faster before they get cut off by a man in the room.  So that just gets passed down as how you normally talk.   My father in law would talk really fast and he said it was because he was the youngest of 10 and had to do that in order to be listened to.

I was one of seven. I get that.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

No. 🤣

As to the rest of it, I like that the music is there as filler because my social battery drains quickly. 

I don't mind it if it is background enough but the volume needs to be low enough so I can hear the person I am sitting across from.

I mean... I appreciate the skill and all of that but I'm not getting stimulated hearing John Denver and Johnny Cash and Jimmy Buffet songs performed by others.  

57 minutes ago, LaceyLou said:

I've always assumed that places do that in order to not-so-gently encourage people to eat their food quickly and leave. This is true whether it's live or not.

Yep.  There is also research suggesting people drink more in a lively environment.  

• Like 1

The ironic part.  Any type of customer survey you read will list noise as the #1 complaint.  Not bad food, not poor service, noise.  

Two big reasons for noise going up the past 10-15 years are open kitchens and the industrial look.  Everyone always asks us why we don't go those routes with our places.  Well, they are insanely loud.  They dining areas are generally big squares so nothing separates the noise.  Kitchens are extremely loud and an open kitchen dumps that noise into the dining area.  The industrial look is usually brick with exposed HVAC ducts which all reflect noise.

There is a seafood place in Davison named Whiteys that I have gone to my entire life.  Big place, probably seats 250 maybe 275 people.  Very popular and always full and you can hear a pin drop in that place. 

Their kitchen is dead nuts center of the restaurant and closed.  That basically separates the dining area into four different areas to help control noise.  One of the areas has huge windows and glass is bad for sound, so that is a bit louder than the other three areas.  But all soft finishes on the walls otherwise and mostly carpeted floors, so chairs scraping on hard tile.  

The central kitchen also makes things feel very cozy.  They do 1,000+ covers a night and the entire time you are seated its like eating with only 60 other people.  Very well designed place.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I like watching live music.  I will go see anybody anytime. I wish I had more opportunities and friends interested in that. It’s different if you go to a place when a stage and it’s a normal occurrence that someone is there. In my situation above it’s a small brewery. They basically move tables and a guy sets up. Just wasn’t in the mood for it.  Unnecessarily loud and the acoustics in there are bad already. 

I’m crabby but old man. Last year I reconnected with an old best friend.  Went to a tiger game on like a Monday night. After went into bookies.  It’s 10pm on Monday night with hardly anybody in there. We are at the bar trying to eat and talk.  The music was too loud. When you can’t hear the person 10 inches from you…. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The ironic part.  Any type of customer survey you read will list noise as the #1 complaint.  Not bad food, not poor service, noise.  

Two big reasons for noise going up the past 10-15 years are open kitchens and the industrial look.  Everyone always asks us why we don't go those routes with our places.  Well, they are insanely loud.  They dining areas are generally big squares so nothing separates the noise.  Kitchens are extremely loud and an open kitchen dumps that noise into the dining area.  The industrial look is usually brick with exposed HVAC ducts which all reflect noise.

There is a seafood place in Davison named Whiteys that I have gone to my entire life.  Big place, probably seats 250 maybe 275 people.  Very popular and always full and you can hear a pin drop in that place. 

Their kitchen is dead nuts center of the restaurant and closed.  That basically separates the dining area into four different areas to help control noise.  One of the areas has huge windows and glass is bad for sound, so that is a bit louder than the other three areas.  But all soft finishes on the walls otherwise and mostly carpeted floors, so chairs scraping on hard tile.  

The central kitchen also makes things feel very cozy.  They do 1,000+ covers a night and the entire time you are seated its like eating with only 60 other people.  Very well designed place.  

Yup, one of the problems with open kitchens not only in restaurants but in homes. I love separate kitchens for this, and also because it means the smell is less likely to be in the rest of the house.

I am old guy here.  Sometimes Millennials really annoy me.    Look, they are getting screwed.  Higher education is more expensive than ever and outpacing other increasing costs.  And I think much of the University system is a big scam, people in the biz for profit.  Yes, higher education has to be re-imagined, but the powers that run it won't change anything because they are hitting it big.    The job market sucks as they are carrying a bunch of debt, but I don't think they seem to understand that you need to work a lot of crappy jobs before you start getting good ones.   Sometimes outside their field, sometimes inside.     The cost of things to do for entertainment like concerts, sports and even basic dining are out of control too, but that effects everyone.     Just annoyed at a Millennial in my family who thinks working more than 20 hours is too much because there is no time to do the stuff he likes.    Welcome to Adulthood, young man.   They don't give you any 4th-place trophies.

I know.  "OK Boomer"

Life is hard.    Paying dues is part of it unless you have a life-changing idea. 

10 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I am old guy here.  Sometimes Millennials really annoy me.    Look, they are getting screwed.  Higher education is more expensive than ever and outpacing other increasing costs.  And I think much of the University system is a big scam, people in the biz for profit.  Yes, higher education has to be re-imagined, but the powers that run it won't change anything because they are hitting it big.    The job market sucks as they are carrying a bunch of debt, but I don't think they seem to understand that you need to work a lot of crappy jobs before you start getting good ones.   Sometimes outside their field, sometimes inside.     The cost of things to do for entertainment like concerts, sports and even basic dining are out of control too, but that effects everyone.     Just annoyed at a Millennial in my family who thinks working more than 20 hours is too much because there is no time to do the stuff he likes.    Welcome to Adulthood, young man.   They don't give you any 4th-place trophies.

I know.  "OK Boomer"

Life is hard.    Paying dues is part of it unless you have a life-changing idea. 

I think the older millennials are figuring it out. They’re miffed at the young millennials and GenZ. 

• Thanks 1

My wife now has people entering her department that could be our kids. She definitely sees a change.  But she also noticed a change from those about 10-15 years younger than her that began about 10 years ago.  Just a general "don't care" attitude.  Do the bare minimum.  

But she also has a service attitude which is admirable but also makes her susceptible to being taken advantage of.  She works for a large hospital.  Many branches in the area.  It's corporate.  But she'll say things like "I don't want to take time off because my co workers will be busy" or "I saw an extra patient on the schedule that I wasn't assigned because they needed therapy and the person who should have done it went home".   I get that attitude in a more entreprenuerial environment wher eyou have actual ownership.  But she's just a number to them.  It's a balancing act for sure.  I have to remind her that this isn't church or school where we volunteer time to make sure the events run well and the kids/church/community get what they need.  It's a business.  The hospital can and should hire more staff, pay them better, etc. to make sure patients get their care. 

I work for a large company that treats us well, like adults, I never ever got harassed for needing time off or whatever.  For them I don't mind going the extra mile or whatever.  They treat us like family and I am grateful. 

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

My wife now has people entering her department that could be our kids. She definitely sees a change.  But she also noticed a change from those about 10-15 years younger than her that began about 10 years ago.  Just a general "don't care" attitude.  Do the bare minimum.  

But she also has a service attitude which is admirable but also makes her susceptible to being taken advantage of.  She works for a large hospital.  Many branches in the area.  It's corporate.  But she'll say things like "I don't want to take time off because my co workers will be busy" or "I saw an extra patient on the schedule that I wasn't assigned because they needed therapy and the person who should have done it went home".   I get that attitude in a more entreprenuerial environment wher eyou have actual ownership.  But she's just a number to them.  It's a balancing act for sure.  

I work for a large company that treats us well, like adults, I never ever got harassed for needing time off or whatever.  For them I don't mind going the extra mile or whatever.  They treat us like family and I am grateful. 

I guess they are absolutely TERRIBLE at job interviews.  They tend not to look the interviewer in the eye and engage in little secondary conversation and can't seem to leave their phones in the cars.  

Phones have a lot to do with it.  People can't do for themselves without using a phone now.  I think smartphone and social media addiction is as potentially dangerous as a drug addiction.    People need that Dopamine hit.  Keep checking checking for likes and clicks.   They can't function without it.   Improvisation?  Yeah, right.  

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Phones have a lot to do with it.  People can't do for themselves without using a phone now.  I think smartphone and social media addiction is as potentially dangerous as a drug addiction.    People need that Dopamine hit.  Keep checking checking for likes and clicks.   They can't function without it.   Improvisation?  Yeah, right.  

Friday night I was at a concert and I watched as a mid-40s woman would put her phone away for about 45 seconds and then was right back on it. 

so yeah, it’s an addiction. 

My department definitely encourages time off-well rested, balanced staff makes for a more productive team in the long run that's less likely to make costly mistakes. 

Some people need to be reminded that they can't pour from an empty cup.

• Like 1

I have leadership that gets mad if people check their email while on vacation. They know what it is for and as long as the auto reply is on, there is no need to catch any “important” communication. It will get handled. 

“if we can’t operate because you’re gone for two weeks then we’ve made a huge error” had been stated many times. 

I work for a great young company (only 10 years old), been here for about a year. The owner is about 55 and his daughter is the COO, she is 28. We have an onsite personal trainer and we are encouraged to take an hour or so a day to make use of the on site gym (on the clock outside of our hour lunch break). I am one of the older employees at 47  and salaried. The hiring process is in depth, It took 3 month of multiple interviews to be hired. It has been the best career choice of my life! We have signs all over reminding us we should treat the business like we own it, great culture.

The young people here are motivated and such a teamwork rich environment. Ha! I just got this email as I was typing this, best job ever:

Hi Team!

You’ve all been working HARD these first two months of the year, we want so show our appreciation by celebrating Employee Appreciation Day with a 2-hour (paid) early dismissal.

Friday, March 1st you can plan to head out 2 hours earlier than your normal quitting time, and get a jumpstart on enjoying your weekend!

Thanks for all you do,

Adriene & Rob

• Like 2

A few weeks ago I told my boss while in a call “I have to go tomorrow to Flint to pick up Alex for a doctor appointment”. 

“eh… I don’t care.  Whatever comes up can wait”

obviously he cares about Alex… just meant I didn’t have to tell him or give the impression I was asking. Just do what  you gotta do. The work will and always does get done.