The pet peeve thread

People who pressure/guilt trip others into taking alcoholic shots or drinking more than they would like. For professional and health reasons, I establish limits and shouldn't have to justify turning down a liquor shot.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

People who pressure/guilt trip others into taking alcoholic shots or drinking more than they would like. For professional and health reasons, I establish limits and shouldn't have to justify turning down a liquor shot.

This is a big one. I feel like the tide is turning. Maybe because I am older but I know a lot of people who just don’t drink anymore. 

on a similar subject… hugging.  Don’t ask people to hug. Not everybody is an hugger. Figure it out. If they side hug you then learn that they aren’t into that.  Especially younger girls. Don’t even initiate it with them. I just ran into this last night. A 40 something repeatedly asking a 7 year old for a hug. Nothing malicious about it but it needs to be taught that we all have to understand that when girls say no then accept it.  That will help them late on.  They will learn they can say no.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

With my nieces and nephews I'm more into high fives than hugs. Hugs just feel strange these days. I won't object if someone else initiates it, but won't make the first move. Maybe too many hugs from great aunts with bad perfume when I was young

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

With my nieces and nephews I'm more into high fives than hugs. Hugs just feel strange these days. I won't object if someone else initiates it, but won't make the first move. Maybe too many hugs from great aunts with bad perfume when I was young

Same. I default to high five. My nephews are big huggers, though.

I had a well endowed Aunt, who was quite the partier in the Nashville music and bar scene in the 60s and 70s, she says that Jimmy Buffet slept on the floor in her trailer for a week.  When she would hug me as a kid she would shove my head into her cleavage.  She was always telling me "Robert, come over here and hug my neck" 

Everyone thought it was funny.  Even I was self aware enough to know that it wasn't really a good thing.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, oblong said:

...on a similar subject… hugging.  Don’t ask people to hug. Not everybody is an hugger. Figure it out. If they side hug you then learn that they aren’t into that.  Especially younger girls. Don’t even initiate it with them. I just ran into this last night. A 40 something repeatedly asking a 7 year old for a hug. Nothing malicious about it but it needs to be taught that we all have to understand that when girls say no then accept it.  That will help them late on.  They will learn they can say no.  

Not a young girl, but this is exactly my son.  He has never been a hugger.  Even now, visiting for Christmas, it's a begrudging little side hug - but there's no animosity at all. 

On a completely unrelated note - ESPN.  Admittedly I shouldn't have waited until the 11th hour, but I signed up for ESPN-Plus on the app yesterday, for like $100, which they led me to believe would give me access to the Rose Bowl stream.  It did not.  I had to download the Varsity app to be able to get the UM radio call.  I don't mind listening on the radio, but I'm more ticked about losing the $100.

22 hours ago, oblong said:

This is a big one. I feel like the tide is turning. Maybe because I am older but I know a lot of people who just don’t drink anymore. 

on a similar subject… hugging.  Don’t ask people to hug. Not everybody is an hugger. Figure it out. If they side hug you then learn that they aren’t into that.  Especially younger girls. Don’t even initiate it with them. I just ran into this last night. A 40 something repeatedly asking a 7 year old for a hug. Nothing malicious about it but it needs to be taught that we all have to understand that when girls say no then accept it.  That will help them late on.  They will learn they can say no.  

I thought hugging would’ve slowed down after COVID, but I guess I was wrong.

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

lol “nobody wants to work anymore”.

That is, he’s hitting on many of the things I railed about ten or so years ago on MTS.

I discovered Orny through the Adam Carolla show and he has escalated to one of my favorite current comedians and podcasts. He comes off as a very genuine dude and his rants are spot on.

I've noticed places that have the "automatic 18%" surcharge.... tend to have a lot of clientele that for whatever reason, culturally do not tip.  I was alerted to this in the mid 90's when I ran into a friend, from that culture, at a restaurant while she was working.  She sat down after her shift with us and lamented a table near us of that same culture.  She said the server staff would fight over who had to get stuck with the tables from that culture.  That stuck with me.

Three times within the last 6 months I saw those signs... looked around... and drew that conclusion.  I get it.  If the stafff doesn't get paid then the go somewhere else and there's no business..

I like the the 18% charge as long as they don't expect more.

Fine dining places in Chicago all do that and most won't let you tip more. So you don't even need your wallet for your meal. Kind of nice just going in, eat, and leave without having to interact with anyone to make a payment.

30 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

No one wants to work for assholes who jerk you around on schedules and hours

yes.  that phrase is a huge peeve of mine.  Blaming others for your lack of ability to draw in employees, as if you are entitled to a work force.  Employees have options now.  Employers have to fight for them like they do customers. 

There's people who want to work.  They just don't want to work for you.  Look in the mirror.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a chat pre pandemic with someone who picked up a part time job at one of the big box chains. The way she was jerked around over schedule and hours was outrages.  Not knowing her schedule until the day before, last minute changes, demands that she work on days off, etc. This was a temporary retirement gig, not a career.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

I had a chat pre pandemic with someone who picked up a part time job at one of the big box chains. The way she was jerked around over schedule and hours was outrages.  Not knowing her schedule until the day before, last minute changes, demands that she work on days off, etc. This was a temporary retirement gig, not a career.

I remember reading some time ago that at some chains, schedules are generated by computers, and that a lot of employees often found they'd been scheduled to work until closing (often as late as 1 am), and then to open (often as early as 4 am) the next day. When I was younger I wouldn't have minded doing this once in a while, if there was a great need (and I did a few times), but it's not really something that is good for your health if it's every single week.

I believe workers at one chain referred to this as "clopening."

• 2 weeks later...

Back when I was a kid, you had to be attentive to radio and/or TV every 10 minutes to listen for school closings/delays due to weather.  You had to actually put effort into seeing if you were lucky to be snowed out.  And if you missed the alphabetically organized listing, you had another 10 minutes of agony, waiting and hooping and praying that Mother Nature did sufficient damage to the local roadways.

Nowadays, the school will call you and text you and email you, and damn near turn off your alarm clock for you, in order to notify you of such luck.  Horsebleep.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, casimir said:

Back when I was a kid, you had to be attentive to radio and/or TV every 10 minutes to listen for school closings/delays due to weather.  You had to actually put effort into seeing if you were lucky to be snowed out.  And if you missed the alphabetically organized listing, you had another 10 minutes of agony, waiting and hooping and praying that Mother Nature did sufficient damage to the local roadways.

Nowadays, the school will call you and text you and email you, and damn near turn off your alarm clock for you, in order to notify you of such luck.  Horsebleep.

As a former radio guy who worked about this time you could count on getting several phone calls from someone asking if schools were closed within seconds of reading the never ending closing list. 

It was always tempting to tell them no, especially with every station in the region doing closing lists along with a nearly constant stream on the TV.

As an aside, back in 1979 my wife was working for the top radio station in Richmond, Va when there was a big snowfall. I had chains on my car so I drove her in the night before and we spent the night at the station. The news director woke us at 4:30 is with the news that the 5 of us at the station were the only ones working that morning. They put me on the switchboard. Five hours of answering phones, all closings and not one person asking if schools were closed.