The pet peeve thread

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Auto dealership service departments. I never had an issue with our dealership in Michigan, but here in Virginia it seems you need to schedule basic necessary service several months in advance. Simple things like oil change, tire rotation, even state inspections (required by law) are booked two months out.

Heaven forbid you have a serious issue or an idiot light coming on for whatever reason.

Stealership.

I think the biggest problem is these dealerships get so big and so focused on selling cars that they tend to forget that service goes hand in hand with customer loyalty. 
You can also say the same for the customers. Pre Pandemic we had a great relationship with a local dealer. The same sales rep for 10 plus years (3 cars). The same with the service manager.

Now it seems that a lot of these places have grown into Super Sales lots while their service facilities have not kept up. 

Car Dealerships.... where everyone gets a trophy.  Ever notice how every one of them has all the top awards.

I will say this... finding techs is extremely difficult now for the dealers. That affects the ability to service.  It's a constant topic of conversation in my line of work.   What usually happens is you get a good one then they find a "desk type"  job with a supplier putting that real world talent to use upstream after a few years of wrenching and busting their knuckles.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Car Dealerships.... where everyone gets a trophy.  Ever notice how every one of them has all the top awards.

I will say this... finding techs is extremely difficult now for the dealers. That affects the ability to service.  It's a constant topic of conversation in my line of work.   What usually happens is you get a good one then they find a "desk type"  job with a supplier putting that real world talent to use upstream after a few years of wrenching and busting their knuckles.

Yes, I setup appts at dealers all over the country. Warranty work must be completed by a ASE certified tech. Meaning the lube kid can't touch a airbag recall. The biggest shortage is diesel techs. Most of our fleet include diesel 2500 series and up. I called to try to get one of our units in for a warranty issue in Nashville, TN today. Out of the 5 dealers in the metro area the soonest appt I could secure is 11/15/23. It is insane, tell your kids go to diesel school. It's like being a nurse, you can find a job anywhere in the country. They also clear 6 digit just out of school.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

When a YouTube video's thumbnail and description about a historical topic I'm interested in draws me in, and the video itself ends up being >95% some guy taking up the screen with his ugly mug and a microphone, and there may or may not occasionally be some picture related to the topic shown over their shoulder, taking up maybe 20% of the total screen. I blame Peyton and Eli Manning for this revolting state of affairs.

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

When a YouTube video's thumbnail and description about a historical topic I'm interested in draws me in, and the video itself ends up being >95% some guy taking up the screen with his ugly mug and a microphone, and there may or may not occasionally be some picture related to the topic shown over their shoulder, taking up maybe 20% of the total screen. I blame Peyton and Eli Manning for this revolting state of affairs.

At least he's using a microphone. If I am watching a video recorded with a room/device microphone, I have a pretty quick "next" trigger. I don't mind if a quick intro is done using room audio but if more than 3% of the video is room audio, I'm out.

58 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Good one.

I also hate it when they talk too fast.  I watch a lot of recap videos for Star Wars and Marvel stuff and it's like... dudes... just slow down.  Breath. It's ok to have a little bit of a pause between sentences as well.  Stop editing it all out.

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

At least he's using a microphone. If I am watching a video recorded with a room/device microphone, I have a pretty quick "next" trigger. I don't mind if a quick intro is done using room audio but if more than 3% of the video is room audio, I'm out.

Maybe it's not a microphone. Maybe it's a room audio microphone. Either way, I did not click on the video to study some guy's acne profile.

• Haha 1

Bosses who let politics determine their leadership decisions.

We have a small staff - 6 people in 1 building - When Covid hit in 2020, we all stayed healthy, but in 2021 our boss got it really bad.  Refused to go to the doctor - missed 5 weeks of work - & has been a shell of himself since. 

6 months later, our program director contracted it, refused to get tested, & kept working - Within a week the rest of the staff were all Covid positive - At which point the 2 of them decided "Well, since we've all got it - we might as well all work." 

Now here we are almost 2 full years later - the PD has it again - and still comes to work every day - and the boss refuses to tell him to stay home or allow the rest of us to work from home. 

Needless to say I am now entertaining other job possibilities.

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, djhutch said:

Bosses who let politics determine their leadership decisions.

We have a small staff - 6 people in 1 building - When Covid hit in 2020, we all stayed healthy, but in 2021 our boss got it really bad.  Refused to go to the doctor - missed 5 weeks of work - & has been a shell of himself since. 

6 months later, our program director contracted it, refused to get tested, & kept working - Within a week the rest of the staff were all Covid positive - At which point the 2 of them decided "Well, since we've all got it - we might as well all work." 

Now here we are almost 2 full years later - the PD has it again - and still comes to work every day - and the boss refuses to tell him to stay home or allow the rest of us to work from home. 

Needless to say I am now entertaining other job possibilities.

That’s so irresponsible…. and just selfish beyond comprehension.  Awful . 
So sorry, dj

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CMRivdogs said:

It happens this time of year in some places

That’s dumb.

My wife and I were just talking about it.  It’s the first Halloween that we can remember (since 1999) that it’s snowed.  We are sitting in the garage and you could hear it hitting the leaves.  It’s sticking to the grass and leaves, and it really hasn’t been cold here yet.  Had our first frost last night.

I ain’t ready for it.  I’ve grown less tolerant of winter over the years.

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

That’s dumb.

My wife and I were just talking about it.  It’s the first Halloween that we can remember (since 1999) that it’s snowed.  We are sitting in the garage and you could hear it hitting the leaves.  It’s sticking to the grass and leaves, and it really hasn’t been cold here yet.  Had our first frost last night.

I ain’t ready for it.  I’ve grown less tolerant of winter over the years.

I seem to remember a few rainy, wet, cold Halloweens in SE Michigan and the Chicago area the 30 years we lived there. 40 and drizzle here today frost in the forecast tonight.  There's a reason we moved back "south"

Edited by CMRivdogs

On 9/21/2023 at 8:06 AM, oblong said:

google has become increasily irrelevant to me it seems over the last few months.  Basic searches return ads and links to videos.  I hate watching videos.  I want text.  

Don't trust ChatGPT yet.

yeah - this is becoming more and more a pain. 

>Don't trust ChatGPT yet.

There are structural reasons that kind of AI may not be capable of being trustworthy. It's a regression in a sense. Before the internet, you generally wanted printed matter when you wanted to know something for certain, as opposed to asking a person, who might well be intelligent but give you the wrong answer without even knowing their own knowledge was flawed, whereas depending on the source, your confidence in what had been committed to print (say the encyclopedia) had been vetted to your satisfaction. AI is like your intelligent but untrustworthy friend, it doesn't and in current systems can't, know when it's wrong either.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Videos with the same person playing multiple characters talking to themselves. They aren't funny.

Most of the time yes. There is a guy named Daniel Thrasher that makes some really funny videos in this style. He's a really talented musician and his skits are usually pretty funny.

I'm pretty much over furniture that comes in a flat box that means looking at fuzzy pictures of pieces labeled with numbers and/or letters. I had to take apart my trash can cart 3 times yesterday, because the pictures weren't clear and I don't seem to have the eye normal people have that allows them to instinctively know how to put things together. I did finally get it together, only to find that the trash can Amazon suggested pairing it with doesn't actually fit. 

It might be time for me to get in touch with somebody who will build a custom desk/entertainment center. No matter how much it costs, it'll be worth it.

On 10/31/2023 at 8:30 PM, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - this is becoming more and more a pain. 

>Don't trust ChatGPT yet.

There are structural reasons that kind of AI may not be capable of being trustworthy. It's a regression in a sense. Before the internet, you generally wanted printed matter when you wanted to know something for certain, as opposed to asking a person, who might well be intelligent but give you the wrong answer without even knowing their own knowledge was flawed, whereas depending on the source, your confidence in what had been committed to print (say the encyclopedia) had been vetted to your satisfaction. AI is like your intelligent but untrustworthy friend, it doesn't and in current systems can't, know when it's wrong either.

I leaned ChatGPT in terms of knowledge and facts is current as of 2021?

a few months ago I was researching some things and using Wikipedia. Simple factual things from 50-60 years ago, regarding aerospace crews,( astronauts and X-15 fights, etc)  decided to try ChatGPT and the answers were straight up wrong. (An example is I knew 1 of the 3 answers so that was my clue).  I corrected it and it apologized. So the next time some geek wants to know this they will hopefully be given correct info. 

• Like 1