The pet peeve thread

11 hours ago, LaceyLou said:

As popular as I know them to be.... 

Why oh why do so many channels have Christmas in July movies? I suppose if they were actually good I wouldn't mind....as much.

How can I miss the season, if it won't go away?

Unless it's Grumpy Cats Worst Christmas Ever movie, I'm out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I wonder if any younger people watch movies from the 70s or 80s and wonder when the characters get lost - why they don't just use their cellphones?  

I think about that a lot... how many movies or story lines wouldn't exist if they had a cell phone or GPS  or social media?  

On the flip side so many stories today make use of the texting/calling function today as a narrative device.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Unless it's Grumpy Cats Worst Christmas Ever movie, I'm out.

Other than “It’s a Wonderful Life”, which I see almost annually on a big screen, at this very old time movie theater with the same group of friends (we’ve done it for more than 10 years, interrupted by Covid), I don’t watch Christmas movies.  

I like Christmas music. Don’t like the movies.

• Like 2

I have come to hate Amazon's misleading delivery estimate when you are purchasing anything. Many times over the last few months I have seen something I want to buy with the promise of coming today and it doesn not.

This latest purchase i just made is is the most egregious example: I bought two things where one item said "FREE delivery Today 2 PM - 6 PM on qualifying orders over $25" and the other said "FREE delivery Overnight 7 AM - 11 AM. Order within 13 hrs 8 mins", so I ordered them right then, and when I get the confirmation email, it says they are both arriving next Monday.

55 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Other than “It’s a Wonderful Life”, which I see almost annually on a big screen, at this very old time movie theater with the same group of friends (we’ve done it for more than 10 years, interrupted by Covid), I don’t watch Christmas movies.  

I like Christmas music. Don’t like the movies.

Christmas music and movies should be restricted to the month of December only.

The only movie I watch is Lion in Winter. It's the only movie that reflects what actually happens at Christmas time..

edit

For those not familiar, it's the 12th century version of Succession 

Edited by CMRivdogs
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Couldn't they give you a corporate card? Then you can pay the company back any incidentals if there are any. 

That would be the easy way, but as leadership goes he's, shall we say, a little finicky.  1 moment that's the way to do it - the next it's not.  I've decided it's not worth the added stress to my mind to have that conversation every time I travel.

• Like 1

I love my neighbors so this isn't a criticism but more in the spirit of a peeve..... they're always outside doing something in the yard!  They're snowbirds so the first weekend back they clear everything out, clean up all the winter stuff, etc.  Then each day it's some kind of project involving noise.  No, I don't want them to stop. It's great to be active.  But a part of me does hate the over reliance on watering/fertilizing/etc.  Your lawn and yard doesn't need to look like a golf course or the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island.  Let nature do it's thing.  Dandelions are good.  Weeds are good.  Critters are good.  Not every stick/twig or other errant thing needs to be picked up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Your lawn and yard doesn't need to look like a golf course or the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island.  Let nature do it's thing.  Dandelions are good.  Weeds are good.  Critters are good.  Not every stick/twig or other errant thing needs to be picked up.

Fake news.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

I love my neighbors so this isn't a criticism but more in the spirit of a peeve..... they're always outside doing something in the yard!  They're snowbirds so the first weekend back they clear everything out, clean up all the winter stuff, etc.  Then each day it's some kind of project involving noise.  No, I don't want them to stop. It's great to be active.  But a part of me does hate the over reliance on watering/fertilizing/etc.  Your lawn and yard doesn't need to look like a golf course or the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island.  Let nature do it's thing.  Dandelions are good.  Weeds are good.  Critters are good.  Not every stick/twig or other errant thing needs to be picked up.

We had neighbors that basically did that. Right down to the day that the wife wasn't sure whether her husband had set the lawn mower to the right height and said she needed to measure the grass with a ruler. I'm sure she also used a level to make sure the bushes were trimmed properly.

Every day, they had no life outside his job (he was an automotive engineer) she stayed at home. They very seldom took a vacation.

Life is too short..

And to show how much I really do love them.... when we first moved in they had a party for us.  They gave us a tree to plant.  She asked if she could plant some stuff in our flower bed.  This happened to be on one of those days I get off from work, like Veterans or Election Day, so she's out there in my yard doing that while I'm sitting inside having coffee and a donut in my robe... slacker.  They're always willing to help with gardening or plant questions or to borrow a tool.  They're great people. But man... take it easy.  Making us look bad.  Their daughter and family live across the street and we have a good laugh about how they make us feel lazy.

But I suspect I will be that way in 10 years.  Already I take personal days to work outside and just "putz around" as I call it.  My dad was on disability my while life so that's what I watched him do growing up.  Always tinkering.

• Like 1

Pet peeve!

When something happens to New York City it gets outweighted media attention. In my almost 15 years in Florida, I've probably had about 30-50 days like this from being downwind of Georgia wildfires. Granted, I'm not always glued to national news, but today seems to be getting a lot more attention.

• Like 2

Pet peeve #2.

The PGA is Professional Golfers Association, generally short for PGA of America. These are club pros, shirt folders, the person you get lessons from.

The PGA Tour is the group of touring professionals.

Media should know better and not conflate them. PGA is not a proper short hand for PGA Tour.

29 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Pet peeve #2.

The PGA is Professional Golfers Association, generally short for PGA of America. These are club pros, shirt folders, the person you get lessons from.

The PGA Tour is the group of touring professionals.

Media should know better and not conflate them. PGA is not a proper short hand for PGA Tour.

It bugs me too and I'm not into golf as much as I used to be. But I knew the distinction.  On a similar vein people will often bitch about something related to 3 of the majors and say something like "The PGA needs to get it's act together..."

18 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

For Rob: screenshot from one of my security cams. My neighbor doesn’t have lawn irrigation. 

IMG_3956.jpeg

I've watered my lawn 3 times in 3 days when I don't think I've watered it 3 times in the previous 2 years.

There's a sprinkler system here but I've never used it.  Wasn't listed on the disclosure form and the inspector found it.  I asked the guy at closing and he said he never used it either.  I tried turning it on once and nothing happened.  I tried digging around the flower bed where the valves are on the outside to find a box to connect something and couldn't find it.  My wife wants me to hire someone to sort it out but I'm not into the business of spending money to make me cut the grass more often.

4 hours ago, oblong said:

Different down here. Neighbor's weeds are contagious, and I have had to fight to keep diseases from my next-door neighbor's lawns from invading mine. These southern grasses just die and create so many issues when weeds and insects take over.

Edited by Edman85

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Pet peeve!

When something happens to New York City it gets outweighted media attention. In my almost 15 years in Florida, I've probably had about 30-50 days like this from being downwind of Georgia wildfires. Granted, I'm not always glued to national news, but today seems to be getting a lot more attention.

Oh, for Christ sake. 
That is a lame pet peeve.

Waaaahhhhh.