The pet peeve thread

2 hours ago, LaceyLou said:

March is my least favorite month, on average. No holidays off, weather can't make up its mind between snow, rain, and mud, and the start of DST tends to throw me off, for some reason. 

I like March.    March bring Spring.   March brings Daylight Savings Time.   March brings baseball.   March is alright.  

I rank March 8th on my list of months

1 - September   (not too hot not too cold

2 - June (Summer is a beautiful word)

3 - May  (May brings us closer to Summer)

4 - July  (it was better when we had thunderstorms)

5 - April   (Opening Day, Baby)

6 - August - (I like the hot summer)

7 - October (only ranking it this low because of what comes after)

8 - March  (the reasons I listed ablove)

9 - December  (the holiday season is a'ight

10 - November   (only thing saving it is Thanksgiving)

11 - January   (sucks)

12 - February  (so many bad words about February that decorum prohibits me from listing them here)

So in my rankings we are going from 12 to 8 to 5 to 3 to 2............

12 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I like March.    March bring Spring.   March brings Daylight Savings Time.   March brings baseball.   March is alright.  

11 - January   (sucks)

12 - February  (so many bad words about February that decorum prohibits me from listing them here)

Come to think of it, opening day here is at the end of March... okay, I hate the local team but still. 🙂 

It's good you live in the western part of the time zone... I like dark evenings so being on the eastern part suits me well. The only saving grace of winter for me? The grey late afternoons. I guess I'm part vampire. 

(and I agree about thunderstorms)

54 minutes ago, LaceyLou said:

Come to think of it, opening day here is at the end of March... okay, I hate the local team but still. 🙂 

It's good you live in the western part of the time zone... I like dark evenings so being on the eastern part suits me well. The only saving grace of winter for me? The grey late afternoons. I guess I'm part vampire. 

(and I agree about thunderstorms)

Opening Day is not official for me until the home opener.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

11 - January   (sucks)

October would be 3rd or 4th if November didn't come after it.   It's a beautiful month.  

Was at an event at the local winery this past weekend. The winemaker was lamenting the mild winter we’ve been having here, especially the couple of 80 degree days last week.

It’s potentially playing havoc with the harvest as we’re already beginning to see buds. One good frost and there goes an entire crop of Petite Verdot grapes

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Was at an event at the local winery this past weekend. The winemaker was lamenting the mild winter we’ve been having here, especially the couple of 80 degree days last week.

It’s potentially playing havoc with the harvest as we’re already beginning to see buds. One good frost and there goes an entire crop of Petite Verdot grapes

I have a couple of Plum trees at the entrance to my woods. They always have beautiful white flowering buds. Almost every year recently just as they bloom 1 or 2 days later a nasty cold front comes through and that is the end of that.

We had a Bradford Pear on our property in Farmington Hills. It was one of those horrible invasive parkway trees, pretty for about a week or so then a nuisance the rest of the year. Always waited until just before the first snowfall before shedding its leaves. A decent windstorm would break a few limbs. It finally fell. Fortunately the city took care of its removal.

36 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I have a couple of Plum trees at the entrance to my woods. They always have beautiful white flowering buds. Almost every year recently just as they bloom 1 or 2 days later a nasty cold front comes through and that is the end of that.

Is that a bug or a feature?

Remember late winter of 2012 in this area? That’s when it was in the 80s not only on St Patrick’s Day, but also for several days afterwards. Everything started blooming in response, and then, the killing frost. We lost an entire crop of Michigan cherries that year because of it.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Is that a bug or a feature?

Remember late winter of 2012 in this area? That’s when it was in the 80s not only on St Patrick’s Day, but also for several days afterwards. Everything started blooming in response, and then, the killing frost. We lost an entire crop of Michigan cherries that year because of it.

Deff global warming issue. Nature is so confused. I let my dogs out this morning and noticed a number of birds chirping, seems way to early for them to be back to northern Indiana.

that's why I quit with the FSA..... ours carried over but one year I forgot to add more contributions and I ended up with $19.80 in the account for a few years until last year it came out for some dental work.  Having to deal with receipts and all that didn't make me think it was worth whatever tax advantages were there.

14 minutes ago, oblong said:

that's why I quit with the FSA..... ours carried over but one year I forgot to add more contributions and I ended up with $19.80 in the account for a few years until last year it came out for some dental work.  Having to deal with receipts and all that didn't make me think it was worth whatever tax advantages were there.

It's like you get penalized for having a healthy year.    I like the idea of it being put away because I likely will need it, and I might spend it on something stupid, but I just didn't go to the doctor much last year..   I need dental work, for sure and I will be getting foot surgery, so this year's amount will be long gone by September.

It should just roll over, but we know who made the rules, right? 

• Like 1

I'll admit I thought of getting the high deductible plan paired with an HSA (contributions can be carried over), but am more than a bit worried that ridiculous amounts of paperwork will lead to not being able to use my own money for any health care costs. 

I have an HSA and like it.  Basically whatever I was paying before for coverage now goes into the HSA and it grows. Whatever I need to pay comes out of that. Makes me feel more aware or things. Before things were “free” but at the end of the year I had nothing left.  

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 7:36 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

I'm just here starting my daylight savings ire a week and a half early. The sunshine act passed the senate a year ago and it's still waiting on the house. Morons. And not the good kind of morons.

A bipartisan group of 12 U.S. senators on Thursday reintroduced legislation that would make daylight saving time permanent, nearly a year after the Senate voted unanimously to end clock switching.

The Senate in March 2022 voted to end the twice-annual changing of clocks in the United States in a move promoted by supporters advocating brighter afternoons and more economic activity.

But the bill failed to get a vote last year in the U.S. House of Representatives because lawmakers could not agree on whether to keep standard time or permanent daylight saving time, said Representative Frank Pallone.

US senators reintroduce bill to make daylight saving time permanent | Reuters

51 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

A bipartisan group of 12 U.S. senators on Thursday reintroduced legislation that would make daylight saving time permanent, nearly a year after the Senate voted unanimously to end clock switching.

The Senate in March 2022 voted to end the twice-annual changing of clocks in the United States in a move promoted by supporters advocating brighter afternoons and more economic activity.

But the bill failed to get a vote last year in the U.S. House of Representatives because lawmakers could not agree on whether to keep standard time or permanent daylight saving time, said Representative Frank Pallone.

US senators reintroduce bill to make daylight saving time permanent | Reuters

this is so stupid. If you want to work all year from 7 to 4 instead of 8 to 5,then work all year from 7 to 4. Putting the middle of the solar day at 1 or 2 pm to accomplish the same thing is the height of silliness..

Edited by gehringer_2

Honestly I'm okay with the change, although I preferred the April start. I'd rather not have it stay dark until 9 am in the winter, and I'd also rather not have it get light at 4 am in the summer. 

I do struggle a bit after DST starts, but on the whole I think it's the best option.

• Like 1