The pet peeve thread

15 hours ago, LaceyLou said:

I haven't tried that one, but it feels like channels are taking turns pixelating on my tv... seems to be a problem Xfinity has been having in general lately. I'm moving soon, and the new place only has Fios available... maybe that's not such a bad thing after all. It'll be fun to compare the problems of each provider, at least.

I’ve been noticing that on most channels in the past couple years. I have DTV, so I’ve been wondering whether the dish, which sits on my deck, has shifted as the deck as shifted into the ground. It has been there since 2002, after all …

We were trying to watch an episode of White Lotus recently, and the pixelation on the DTV box was so persistent we actually quit it, moved over to the Apple TV unit, called up HBO MAX, and finished watching the episode there.

Edited by chasfh

That was always my issue with HULU....they would cut to commercial in the middle of a scene. I realize everything is run by automation but there has to be a way to imbed a tone or signal other than doing it on what seems like a timing basis. If the service looks that crappy they don't get my money (or eyeballs)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LaceyLou said:

There appears to be a law that whenever my manager tries to take a vacation, everything at the facility breaks at the same time. 

Sigh...

that happened at a previous job of mine, but rather than everything breaking when my manager tried to get away, it was everything breaking after I'd gone out of town. my coworkers hated it when I'd leave because they knew they'd be fighting fires and sweeping ashes.

• Like 1

The streets and avenues here in The Big City are routinely cracked and broken, and stay that way throughout the spring, summer and into the fall. There may be some patching up here and there, but they go mostly untouched as the year continues to unfold. Riding bicycles on these streets can be a real horrorshow (e.g., Milwaukee Ave between North Ave and Wabansia).

Then, all of a sudden, starting in early October, as if by magic, road repair crews start descending on all parts of The City en masse, engaging in a feverish flurry of activity. You can hardly go more than a mile on any major thoroughfare before you see entire sections of road closed off, or lanes barreled off, for blocks on end. Traffic halts to a standstill even on low-traffic days and times as crews actively shut down access and egress for several minutes at a time to allow this dump truck or that loader to ferry broken asphalt and dirt from this point to that.

This goes on all the way up to December 30, at which point, as if by magic once more, everything related to road repair evaporates completely from the scene, leaving nary a trace save for some still-blocked-off roads that will remain as such well into late spring, at the very least.

You're a savvy person. I don't have to tell you why this is.

The best part of all this, of course, is that we get these brand spanking new roads, smooth as glass, in place just in time for the coldest months of the year, during which they buckle and break as the temperatures careen from sub-zero to thaw levels to sub-zero and then back again, until they can present themselves as freshly-cracked and -broken streets and avenues to my bicycle once I pull that out of hibernation in late April or so.

Edited by chasfh

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

The streets and avenues here in The Big City are routinely cracked and broken, and stay that way throughout the spring, summer and into the fall. There may be some patching up here and there, but they go mostly untouched as the year continues to unfold. Riding bicycles on these streets can be a real horrorshow (e.g., Milwaukee Ave between North Ave and Wabansia).

Then, all of a sudden, starting in early October, as if by magic, road repair crews start descending on all parts of The City en masse, engaging in a feverish flurry of activity. You can hardly go more than a mile on any major thoroughfare before you see entire sections of road closed off, or lanes barreled off, for blocks on end. Traffic halts to a standstill even on low-traffic days and times as crews actively shut down access and egress for several minutes at a time to allow this dump truck or that loader to ferry broken asphalt and dirt from this point to that.

This goes on all the way up to December 30, at which point, as if by magic once more, everything related to road repair evaporates completely from the scene, leaving nary a trace save for some still-blocked-off roads that will remain as such well into late spring, at the very least.

You're a savvy person. I don't have to tell you why this is.

The best part of all this, of course, is that we get these brand spanking new roads, smooth as glass, in place just in time for the coldest months of the year, during which they buckle and break as the temperatures careen from sub-zero to thaw levels to sub-zero and then back again, until they can present themselves as freshly-cracked and -broken streets and avenues to my bicycle once I pull that out of hibernation in late April or so.

Oh, that all sounds so familiar! Between construction, repairs, and utility work downtown Boston feels like the combination of a maze and an obstacle course. Good times...

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

For 2 1/2 years I avoided it, but it finally got me.    I've been Covid'd     Woke up roasting and coughing.  Temp 100.7 (97.3 is normal for me) and I am extremely tired..............Sooooooo tired.      Tested positive.    I'm quad-vaxxed and I'm glad I am.    

Hope you feel better soon.  I too am quad-vaxed & the one time I got it, I was tired for one day, but everything else went away really quickly. 

I’m not complaining that it gets dark so early per se… but after working at home then getting dinner going immediately and cleaned up so early on Mondays due to a commitment why wife has…. I often like to take a quick Power Nap to chill. Just lay back and close my eyes for 10 minutes.  But with it being dark out it feels weird.  So I turn the light on in our hallway so it’s half lit in the room. 

• Like 1

This is a tough one for me to say, since in general I support street performers/buskers, BUT only if they have talent, and only if they show consideration for people who might need to work and/or sleep.

Example: there are some very talented bucket drummers out there, who vary their routines and have become part of the tourist scene. That said, there's a lot more to drumming than randomly banging on buckets, pots, and pans. I remember leaving the Garden after a Bob Seger concert (one of my all time favorites), and there was a bucket drummer there. Umm, I want to keep the songs of the concert I just got out of in my head (a 'fine memory'), not some random bucket drummer.

On 11/28/2022 at 5:35 PM, oblong said:

I’m not complaining that it gets dark so early per se… but after working at home then getting dinner going immediately and cleaned up so early on Mondays due to a commitment why wife has…. I often like to take a quick Power Nap to chill. Just lay back and close my eyes for 10 minutes.  But with it being dark out it feels weird.  So I turn the light on in our hallway so it’s half lit in the room. 

That's the biggest challenge of winter... although I have to admit the dark makes it easier for me to go to sleep.

On 11/29/2022 at 8:56 PM, LaceyLou said:

This is a tough one for me to say, since in general I support street performers/buskers, BUT only if they have talent, and only if they show consideration for people who might need to work and/or sleep.

Example: there are some very talented bucket drummers out there, who vary their routines and have become part of the tourist scene. That said, there's a lot more to drumming than randomly banging on buckets, pots, and pans. I remember leaving the Garden after a Bob Seger concert (one of my all time favorites), and there was a bucket drummer there. Umm, I want to keep the songs of the concert I just got out of in my head (a 'fine memory'), not some random bucket drummer.

There a long industrial train track tunnel right next to the south side ballpark, and woe to you if you have to walk through it past the multiple bucket drummers encamped there to get to your car after a game, as thousands of people do, unless you’re already deaf.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

Sitting in the local DMV attempting to get a copy of my vehicle title. Between COVID and moving the “clean” title fell thru the cracks. Filled out all the paperwork and have an extremely helpful CSR. Yet the computerized process still provides too many hoops for a normal person to handle

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

People from the back of the plane who think they are entitled to cut in front of everybody while deplaning.

It is absolutely essential for the aisle seats to box these scallywags out like they’re getting ready to rebound a basketball.  And if needed, toss in a Rick Mahorn elbow.

I think we should also add window seat passengers that wait to be the last to enter into the plane, forcing the 2 or 3 aisle middle seats to get back out of their seats and into the spacious aisle, and then of course this twit realizes once the sit down that they need to put something in the overhead, so they get back out of the seat and of course need to …..  I’ll just stop and say plane travel thoroughly annoys me.

Edited by casimir

1 hour ago, casimir said:

It is absolutely essential for the aisle seats to box these scallywags out like they’re getting ready to rebound a basketball.  And if needed, toss in a Rick Mahorn elbow.

I think we should also add window seat passengers that wait to be the last to enter into the plane, forcing the 2 or 3 aisle middle seats to get back out of their seats and into the spacious aisle, and then of course this twit realizes once the sit down that they need to put something in the overhead, so they get back out of the seat and of course need to …..  I’ll just stop and say plane travel thoroughly annoys me.

That second paragraph is on airline industries for boarding in the wrong order.

There should be a deplaning custom where the first 2 minutes  are for who doesn’t need to go in an overhead bin. Just get up and walk out. 1/3 of the plane is now empty. Of course it would never work because there’s always someone who says “yeah but my stuff is right here… I’ll just quickly get it” or “I gotta get off now!”   Nothing works when people have to cooperate.  5% of people make life miserable for 95%.  

• Like 5