The pet peeve thread

13 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

Woke up to water coming down from the ceiling in a corner of my bedroom, have to replace our whole roof it turns out.  Goodbye to all my savings!

I’m sort of in the … ahem … same boat: our first floor ceiling has had water stains for years and we recently learned that the cause was the second floor balcony being installed in a faulty way when the house was built, and now we have to replace it, to the tune of five figures at minimum. And that’s just for the balcony—who knows the extent of any other water damage lurking beyond that and what that might cost.

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

I’m sort of in the … ahem … same boat: our first floor ceiling has had water stains for years and we recently learned that the cause was the second floor balcony being installed in a faulty way when the house was built, and now we have to replace it, to the tune of five figures at minimum. And that’s just for the balcony—who knows the extent of any other water damage lurking beyond that and what that might cost.

Good luck, I really hope there isn't something awful lurking there for you.

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2023 at 10:34 AM, CMRivdogs said:

Went back to the DMV today. Toyota released the lien, finally. Virginia gave us a new title. All it took was one or more employees to have enough gumption to ask a supervisor for assistance.

Update II

I we received a copy of the title in the mail today (from VA). From famine to feast.

Off to the dealership tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The McDonald's double drive through strikes again!

When I'm in a rush, I'll order stuff on the McD app. The other morning I pull in and there is a semi making a delivery. It is partially blocking one lane but I can squeeze in. I pull up to the speaker expecting to tell them my mobile order number.

After a long delay, a voice comes over and says "the lane is closed because the truck is in the way". I said, "oh, well, I'm already here and I have a mobile order" (or something to that effect - not rude or offputting).

"The lane is closed because the truck is in the way" the voices repeats because I obviously didn't catch that the first time. "So you can't take my order?"

"The lane is closed because the truck is in the way".

I drove off and canceled my order. Then I thought of @pfife.

• Haha 1

I wonder if the person could even hear you or was listening?

I order taco bell every Sunday when I visit my mom.  I use their app. "Grab and Go".  They even have a nice display on the counter for those orders.  Yet every week they don't put it there. I see it sitting by the workers.  People busy, making stuff, getting things for the drive thru.  I'm standing there.  Nobody asks.  In situations like this I like to wonder why it is that way and I imagine it's because people take the wrong order.  Delivery drivers for the ubereats of the world etc. just grab whatever they see, assuming it's for them.

But the apps are amazing.  Especially for Chick Fil A by us.  Its timed perfect in our situation.  

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

I wonder if the person could even hear you or was listening?

I order taco bell every Sunday when I visit my mom.  I use their app. "Grab and Go".  They even have a nice display on the counter for those orders.  Yet every week they don't put it there. I see it sitting by the workers.  People busy, making stuff, getting things for the drive thru.  I'm standing there.  Nobody asks.  In situations like this I like to wonder why it is that way and I imagine it's because people take the wrong order.  Delivery drivers for the ubereats of the world etc. just grab whatever they see, assuming it's for them.

But the apps are amazing.  Especially for Chick Fil A by us.  Its timed perfect in our situation.  

Speaking of grab & go Taco Bell....

WATCH: Man comes to dead stop on I-75, eats Taco Bell

7 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

The McDonald's double drive through strikes again!

When I'm in a rush, I'll order stuff on the McD app. The other morning I pull in and there is a semi making a delivery. It is partially blocking one lane but I can squeeze in. I pull up to the speaker expecting to tell them my mobile order number.

After a long delay, a voice comes over and says "the lane is closed because the truck is in the way". I said, "oh, well, I'm already here and I have a mobile order" (or something to that effect - not rude or offputting).

"The lane is closed because the truck is in the way" the voices repeats because I obviously didn't catch that the first time. "So you can't take my order?"

"The lane is closed because the truck is in the way".

I drove off and canceled my order. Then I thought of @pfife.

Wow thats weak!!!  LOL

Facebook Community Standards.   I am now blocked for commenting about the guy who fired at police helicopters and was killed.   I replied "Shooting at Police helicopters will not end well for ya".    Can't protest it.    FUCK THEM.      Just bots.  No context whatsoever.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Facebook Community Standards.   I am now blocked for commenting about the guy who fired at police helicopters and was killed.   I replied "Shooting at Police helicopters will not end well for ya".    Can't protest it.    FUCK THEM.      Just bots.  No context whatsoever.  

You should thank them.  Facebook has one good use.   Keeping up with kid and pet pictures of friends and family that you don’t see all the time.   It’s a complete waste of time for anything other than that.  

Don’t even get me started on the folks that want to use it to argue politics and social issues.   

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use FB to follow some interests I have… like hobbies.  Bands I like. Space history. My running comminity friends. And to keep in touch with some family and friends.  I quit mentioning politics.  Nobody cares. It only feeds the beast. I might comment on someone else’s stuff, in agreement.  But I am pretty much done arguing.  You won’t change anyone’s mind. 

I was put on some type of restriction on FB for quoting a line from the untouchables. It was a movie group.  The topic was the untouchables. People were quoting it.  I quoted Andy Garcia when he called Connery a “stinking Irish pig”

3 hours ago, oblong said:

I use FB to follow some interests I have… like hobbies.  Bands I like. Space history. My running comminity friends. And to keep in touch with some family and friends.  I quit mentioning politics.  Nobody cares. It only feeds the beast. I might comment on someone else’s stuff, in agreement.  But I am pretty much done arguing.  You won’t change anyone’s mind. 

I was put on some type of restriction on FB for quoting a line from the untouchables. It was a movie group.  The topic was the untouchables. People were quoting it.  I quoted Andy Garcia when he called Connery a “stinking Irish pig”

I got in facebook jail for quoting fucking Step Brothers.   "Snappin' necks and cashing checks".  Ridiculous. 

13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That is an amazing amount of overreach. I agree though: play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Ah, FB. I finally gave up trying to get back into my old account (which I can't get into because I forgot to change my phone number on my profile). Still get alerts via email. Meanwhile, on twitter, FB has an account filled with people locked out of their accounts for various reasons-and they get multiple answers from bots offering to get their accounts back (I'm assuming their hackers). It's impossible to reach anybody there because they have no customer service. Yup, not a good platform. I'm thinking of going to Mastodon or Tribel.

On 1/25/2023 at 7:44 PM, oblong said:

People here may not believe me, but I have never been in either Facebook or Twitter jail.

I use FB pretty much for what you say here: keeping in touch with friends, keeping up with SABR people, or sharing and consuming baseball posts. (I’m in a bunch of baseball groups.)

Every once in a while a right winger baseball friend will post some stupid red hat meme and I’ll reply with a snarky one-liner, but that’s as far as it goes. Or I might like someone else’s snarky one-liner reply to a red hat meme. But that’s it—I don’t want to use FB for pointless back-and-forths. (That’s what MTF is for!) Ninety-five percent of my FB posts are replies; I really only post when I’m traveling with my wife. And I use Twitter basically only to keep up with news.

Facebook has actually been a huge net gain for me. I have rekindled so many friendships with people 20 and 30 and 40 years in my past, which obviously could never have happened in the 20th Century. 

The TLC network.   TLC means The Learning Channel.    That is what it used to be, but it bothers me that it still carries the TLC brand because every promo I see for their program is like a document of the downfall of America.   Total garbage programming.   Actually worse than what MTV has become.  

If that's learning, it sure explains a lot about our collective I.Q.

• Like 1

Arts and Entertainment.  
 I think TLC has some kind of MILF show where these women in their 60s who have had a ton of plastic surgery live in th same compound as men in their 20s. 

MTV is interesting.  I read a book on the history of it and it was inevitable what happened.  The labels and artists got tired of providing free content to the network. And between them they couldn’t agree who would pay for the videos.  In the beginning it was a free for all. Nobody knew anything. And they saw results when the videos played. That changed.  MTV was insisting on not paying them for the videos… then they started to show their original content like remote control and then real world and ratings took off.  It’s a business, not a public service.  They won’t change the name because it’s a brand they built up.  

they used the moon landing footage in the beginning because it was free and they ironically were thinking what they were doing was just as important. 

On that note, why is there often a marathon of a show called Naked and Afraid on Animal Planet? And I miss when Discovery and The History Channel had documentaries about science and history. I do sometimes find shoes about WWII that are interesting on one channel (forget the name of it), but that's about it.

• Thanks 1