The pet peeve thread

11 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

There was a Tigers twitter beat guy (Don't remeber who) talking about finale of Succcession over the weekend.

I see, OK. It would be nice if they would have a separate Twitter account for personal stuff, but then, why would they because people are addicted to follower counts.

Vannini is who I had in mind. Sending out clips and major plot points.

He and a few other Athletic writers are really bad about gaming trending keywords. You will see them tweet out the name of an athlete who did something in a large sporting event, no context about what they did. Just the name. This is designed entirely to show up in trending searches and adds nothing to it.

I subscribed to the athletic longer than I should have. I got so frustrated because their app would frequently forget me and I had to login again. I could have it open and click a Twitter link and it would ask me to login. Little things like that bug me and if I am paying a fee then it should work.  

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I subscribed to the athletic longer than I should have. I got so frustrated because their app would frequently forget me and I had to login again. I could have it open and click a Twitter link and it would ask me to login. Little things like that bug me and if I am paying a fee then it should work.  

I bundled my Athletic in with NYT. I'm okay paying that, but obviously it would go away if my income dried up. The bundle isn't a terrible deal, though. I don't use tooo many of their recipes on the cooking app (SeriousEats is my goto). Wirecutter is a pretty reliable reference for choosing what to buy as Amazon's algorithm has gone to crap... And I'll be damned if having a subscription to NYT hasn't helped me piece together some archived MLB Transaction logs I can't find anywhere else.

Vannini got his start at Tigstown, actually.

So, it's 1:30am and in the parking lot of suburban mall there are a series of gun shots............cars screeching,  more gun shots and a loud clap of electricity and a van carrying  Libyan terrorists crashes into a Photomat and the Photomat explodes and either the Libyans just give up or they're all killed in the van crash and the cops never show up?     Hill Valley, California Police in 1985.........that's a major fail !

Sorry, HILL Valley.    Mill Valley is where BJ was from on MASH. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So, it's 1:30am and in the parking lot of suburban mall there are a series of gun shots............cars screeching,  more gun shots and a loud clap of electricity and a van carrying  Libyan terrorists crashes into a Photomat and the Photomat explodes and either the Libyans just give up or they're all killed in the van crash and the cops never show up?     Hill Valley, California Police in 1985.........that's a major fail !

Sorry, HILL Valley.    Mill Valley is where BJ was from on MASH. 

“Photomat” is the major fail here. 😉

Man, talk about having to explain tech to young people.

"You see... we had 36 chances to take pictures on vacation.   You didn't know if it worked.  You just pushed the button and hoped for the best.  Then when you get home you take this thing out of your camera, very carefully so that you don't ruin it, and give it to the guy at this kiosk in the parking lot.  In a few days you go back and finally you can see your vacation pictures.  Yeah he can see them too.  I guess he could make copies... why?"

In a sense there was something cool about being able to 'relive' your vacation or special moments after the fact by finally seeing the pictures.  I'd also argue that there's a skill in brevity, meaning you only had the limits of the film to get it right so you tried harder.  I just got back from vacation and often have 3 or 4 shots of the same thing, just in case.  That leads to laziness.  Then there's my pictures and my wife's pictures...

• Like 2

I've often pondered buying a camera lately. Then reality strikes, the shots I take on my phone probably aren't much different than what I would get with a decent camera. Plus I don't have the extra baggage to carry around when touring. 

Throw in the fact that a lot of our walks include a dog, I'm usually the one holding the leash...

I'm not a serious enough photographer to ever carry a full size SLR around anymore either, but I do have a small format SLR. It will go in a jacket pocket and I can carry the telephoto and extra battery for it in a fanny pack, which is about as much extra as I'm willing to carry.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm not a serious enough photographer to ever carry a full size SLR around anymore either, but I do have a small format SLR. It will go in a jacket pocket and I can carry the telephoto and extra battery for it in a fanny pack, which is about as much extra as I'm willing to carry.

They are not fanny packs, they are lap belts.

Very convenient to hold the phone when running in the warmer climates since I lost other options from the winter.

But they are called lap belts. 🙂

1 minute ago, oblong said:

They are not fanny packs, they are lap belts.

Very convenient to hold the phone when running in the warmer climates since I lost other options from the winter.

But they are called lap belts. 🙂

While waiting in line for a Disney ride, my kids and I started counting "lap belts" and I can confirm that they are still widely used at amusement parks. I had one back in the day and loved the convenience but bowed to peer pressure and it went the way of my mullet.

That said, no amount of mocking will ever make me stop wearing cargo shorts and bending the brim on my ball caps. Eat it junior.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, oblong said:

They have made a comeback among the kids.  

A standard road bike jersey has 3 pockets in the back but they're pretty useless for anything heavier than some portable calories as if you put anything in them as heavy as a phone, the jersey then binds at your neck while you ride, which doesn't do. Ergo, the waist pack - which when on the bike is worn directly over the back, so 'lap' is hardly apropos. Just because lazy walkers wear them in front, I refuse to be bound by their semantics.

🚲

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

A standard road bike jersey has 3 pockets in the back but they're pretty useless for anything heavier than some portable calories as if you put anything in them as heavy as a phone, the jersey then binds at your neck while you ride, which doesn't do. Ergo, the waist pack - which when on the bike is worn directly over the back, so 'lap' is hardly apropos. Just because lazy walkers wear them in front, I refuse to be bound by their semantics.

🚲

So like a tube top then. That's seems better! Duel purpose!

Hotel charges.  Every single time I book a hotel thru my work, I used the company card.  I then get to the hotel, they ask for a card for incidentals - I reiterate that this is NOT for the charge of the stay, but only for incidentals, & they say yes.  I get home & there's an email, with the receipt attached, charging the entire week to my card.  Ugh. 

I will get reimbursed - but for the love of God, can we figure this out!

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

Hotel charges.  Every single time I book a hotel thru my work, I used the company card.  I then get to the hotel, they ask for a card for incidentals - I reiterate that this is NOT for the charge of the stay, but only for incidentals, & they say yes.  I get home & there's an email, with the receipt attached, charging the entire week to my card.  Ugh. 

Seems like that would be a common situation to deal with at hotels for them to be able to handle it. 

4 hours ago, djhutch said:

Couldn't they give you a corporate card? Then you can pay the company back any incidentals if there are any. 

11 hours ago, oblong said:

Man, talk about having to explain tech to young people.

"You see... we had 36 chances to take pictures on vacation.   You didn't know if it worked.  You just pushed the button and hoped for the best.  Then when you get home you take this thing out of your camera, very carefully so that you don't ruin it, and give it to the guy at this kiosk in the parking lot.  In a few days you go back and finally you can see your vacation pictures.  Yeah he can see them too.  I guess he could make copies... why?"

In a sense there was something cool about being able to 'relive' your vacation or special moments after the fact by finally seeing the pictures.  I'd also argue that there's a skill in brevity, meaning you only had the limits of the film to get it right so you tried harder.  I just got back from vacation and often have 3 or 4 shots of the same thing, just in case.  That leads to laziness.  Then there's my pictures and my wife's pictures...

I wonder if any younger people watch movies from the 70s or 80s and wonder when the characters get lost - why they don't just use their cellphones?  

11 hours ago, oblong said:

I'd also argue that there's a skill in brevity, meaning you only had the limits of the film to get it right so you tried harder.  I just got back from vacation and often have 3 or 4 shots of the same thing, just in case.  That leads to laziness.  Then there's my pictures and my wife's pictures...

This. When the cost of the shot is nothing, you shoot everything, but the hidden cost is that then the overhead of going through it all means you may effectively 'get' nothing. The SO and I have maybe a couple of thousand vaction digital pics going back about 8 big trips that we will probably never take the time to collate. In the end, probably could as well have left the camera at home.

And how many times have you been talking to a friend about who knows what and they say - "wait, let me show you what I mean, I have a picture" but can they find it on their phone? So do they really have it?

Edited by gehringer_2