The pet peeve thread

On 12/20/2022 at 8:47 PM, CMRivdogs said:

Neither is the colonoscopy. It’s the prep work that’s difficult. I’ve had my best naps during the procedure 

The one I had several years ago was by a doctor who must have been in a hurry. I remember them asking me to count backwards from 100, and I remember going “100 … 99 … 98 … oww …”

On 12/22/2022 at 3:53 PM, chasfh said:

The one I had several years ago was by a doctor who must have been in a hurry. I remember them asking me to count backwards from 100, and I remember going “100 … 99 … 98 … oww …”

Man. I don't ever remember making it past 99 ...

Many years ago I got a credit card through Best Buy.   I had it maybe for 3 weeks before odd purchases started popping up, sometimes in different states only a couple minutes apart.   I think it had a limit of $1000, but somehow over $5000 of purchases were made.  The credit card company caught it and I was not charged.   They asked me about the second card.  What second card?   Well a second card was sent to someone with the same last name as my mother's maiden name (but no first name was attached to the second card - odd, eh?) which was a question on the application.   No address was linked to this second card, it was sent to the Best Buy where I got the original.   In other words - an employee probably  did it.   I have rarely shopped there since.   Only for a few small specialty items I could not find elsewhere and ALWAYS in cash.   That place gives me the willies. 

Anyway, I need to buy a new computer monitor - 19" - nothing special, just a functioning monitor with HDMI  (Goodwill always has monitors for cheap, but never HDMI).   I am off work until January 4th so I already priced it out and I am going to make my yearly visit to Micro Center in Madison Heights.    On the way home from work yesterday I swung by Best Buy........just to take a look and see if their prices were within 10-15 bucks of Micro Center.     Nope, they were DOUBLE.  In fact, everything in that store is more expensive....or at least it seems that way.      Plus the last few times I have been in that place it's been practically empty.   When I go to the Meijer next door their lot is almost always close to empty.   

I'm starting to believe that Best Buy is a front to launder money.     With it being so expensive and so empty, how are they staying afloat.     

Glad there is Amazon, so I can get specialty things fairly quickly, but sometimes it's an emergency and I am stuck with going into that awful Best Buy store.    Place gives me the creeps.   

I doubt Staples or Office Max has monitors as low as Micro Center.  I'd like to avoid that drive in the rain,  ah, but what the heck, I need to get out of the house/office anyway, it's 55 degrees out.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Many years ago I got a credit card through Best Buy.   I had it maybe for 3 weeks before odd purchases started popping up, sometimes in different states only a couple minutes apart.   I think it had a limit of $1000, but somehow over $5000 of purchases were made.  The credit card company caught it and I was not charged.   They asked me about the second card.  What second card?   Well a second card was sent to someone with the same last name as my mother's maiden name (but no first name was attached to the second card - odd, eh?) which was a question on the application.   No address was linked to this second card, it was sent to the Best Buy where I got the original.   In other words - an employee probably  did it.   I have rarely shopped there since.   Only for a few small specialty items I could not find elsewhere and ALWAYS in cash.   That place gives me the willies. 

Anyway, I need to buy a new computer monitor - 19" - nothing special, just a functioning monitor with HDMI  (Goodwill always has monitors for cheap, but never HDMI).   I am off work until January 4th so I already priced it out and I am going to make my yearly visit to Micro Center in Madison Heights.    On the way home from work yesterday I swung by Best Buy........just to take a look and see if their prices were within 10-15 bucks of Micro Center.     Nope, they were DOUBLE.  In fact, everything in that store is more expensive....or at least it seems that way.      Plus the last few times I have been in that place it's been practically empty.   When I go to the Meijer next door their lot is almost always close to empty.   

I'm starting to believe that Best Buy is a front to launder money.     With it being so expensive and so empty, how are they staying afloat.     

Glad there is Amazon, so I can get specialty things fairly quickly, but sometimes it's an emergency and I am stuck with going into that awful Best Buy store.    Place gives me the creeps.   

I doubt Staples or Office Max has monitors as low as Micro Center.  I'd like to avoid that drive in the rain,  ah, but what the heck, I need to get out of the house/office anyway, it's 55 degrees out.  

There is a place on van born across from midway driving range that is good.  

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Several years ago I was preparing to buy my first laptop. I had saved the cash, done the legwork, & was waiting for Black Friday deals.  Logged on to Best Buy's website & found what I wanted for $300-$400 cheaper than the other places I'd checked.  Ordered it on Black Friday.  On December 23, they emailed me & said "We're sorry - we no longer carry this item."  It was for me, so nobody's Christmas was ruined but mine - but I haven't shopped there since.

5 hours ago, djhutch said:

Several years ago I was preparing to buy my first laptop. I had saved the cash, done the legwork, & was waiting for Black Friday deals.  Logged on to Best Buy's website & found what I wanted for $300-$400 cheaper than the other places I'd checked.  Ordered it on Black Friday.  On December 23, they emailed me & said "We're sorry - we no longer carry this item."  It was for me, so nobody's Christmas was ruined but mine - but I haven't shopped there since.

I remember trying to buy a digital camera when they were new.  Willing to spend several hundred dollars and they had one of the model I wanted in a locked case and could not find the key.   So, $450 sale down the tubes because you don't have a key?   What the actual fuck?    Then they told me a different Best Buy had it - and they didn't and I don't even think the first store really called.   The saleslady seemed to be annoyed that we needed help buying something - you know, at a store.   Place is a nightmare. 

That place you mentioned Oblong, I bought my cellphone there, but didn't think of that place, but I wound up getting a 19" monitor for $60 at MicroCenter.   It's only for working at home (for the hospital gig) because I had been using one 40" TV, but I need multiple screens to work at a good pace, so I bought the $10 VGA monitor at Goodwill and then the one I got today (yes, tax write-offs because they are only used for work).  Hooked up the laptop to test it tonight and the laptop can't detect a second monitor.     But here's the frustrating part...........When it was TV/VGA it detected both with no problem, but that set up took up way too much space and the unbalanced size of the text would probably give me headaches after awhile.    Why won't it recognize both now?   I don't get it.   The TV was HDMI and the new monitor is HDMI.  Uggggghhhh  !        I tried to update the drivers but it's a work machine and an IT has to do that, so I will wait until January 3rd.    Very frustrating.   

The commercial where Drew Barryman is sitting at a restaurant yelling YES YES YES YES at her cellphone makes me want to punch my TV screen.   

First of all, if you're spoofing When Harry Met Sally..........that's 35 years ago and it's been spoofed to death........It would be as lame as someone yelling SHOW ME THE MONEY at this point.      Secondly, it's LOUD and JARRING.   Whatever she's selling, I don't want it because of the commercial.     Advertisers,  just being loud is not a selling point!

Attempting to get a clean title on a vehicle we're trading in. When we bought the car in 2016, we only put my wife's name on the loan. We received a letter from Toyota in 2019 stating the loan was paid off. (I think we may have sent a copy to the SOS office in Lansing as well). Neither one of us remember getting a paper title from Michigan.

In late Summer 2020 we registered the vehicle in Virginia, placed both names on the registration. Now to the trade in. Virginia still shows a lien on the title. The letter  from the lender evidently means nothing because both names are not included in the release. Toyota says everything is done electronically now. Virginia can't clear it because their computers won't let them. No one can get thru to Lansing.

I'm hoping something gets done this week (it's been over a month now). Last conversation with Toyota told us they were able to electronically clear the lien, but it takes 3 business days. That means at least one more trip to the DMV and probably another drive to the dealer to release the check we gave them as a promissory note.

Meanwhile it looks like our trade-in may have been sold.

It's all one big racket...

• Sad 1

Pet Peeve:  Being a Detroit sports fan.   We can't have anything nice.     We went from 1984 - 2009 with a championship-caliber team in at least one sport the whole time.   Now, we can't even make the playoffs with our pro teams and our college teams craps the bed when they get a shot at it and our hated rivals succeed.   

I know it means nothing in the day-to-day journey of life.  If my team wins it all I still have to pay all my bills.  If my teams lose I still have the same job, but Goddammit this really hurts.   Can we just have something?    It's not fair.  It's not fair to have a decade of suck in all four sports.  

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Pet Peeve:  Being a Detroit sports fan.   We can't have anything nice.     We went from 1984 - 2009 with a championship-caliber team in at least one sport the whole time.   Now, we can't even make the playoffs with our pro teams and our college teams craps the bed when they get a shot at it and our hated rivals succeed.   

I know it means nothing in the day-to-day journey of life.  If my team wins it all I still have to pay all my bills.  If my teams lose I still have the same job, but Goddammit this really hurts.   Can we just have something?    It's not fair.  It's not fair to have a decade of suck in all four sports.  

You should try being less miserable.  Just for like, I don't know, maybe try it for 5 minutes.

I had to post the above as an image because every time I tried to post it with text, it failed to post. I've seen this problem before—it's a rogue word that I have to identify and remove. It happened on the old board, too.

So I have to break down the post one paragraph at a time, editing the post over and over, until I see this:

image.png.57d54b21b486790cb8ffc323f63b4ef9.png

Then when I remove the offending word and replace it with something else, it usually works.

Although, this time, even when I did remove the word, I still got that dialogue box, which means there is at least one more offending word.

So I gave up and just pasted it into Notepad and pasted the image here.

That's why it's an image.

Edited by chasfh

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I have a credit linked but you can't transfer money through a credit card. You need to link a debit card or a bank.

If you hand around long enough, familty joint accounts and deaths may leave you with a checking account you might otherwise just close - we saved one just for Paypal. The thought of exposing our regular account to Paypal seemed frightening at the time so we turned an idle account we had 'inherited' into a dedicated PP account. It's been a good solution. There is never enough money in the PP acount to be a serious loss risk, and it's eay to EFT funds from our regular account into that account as needed.

OT but related, a friend just had someone try to pass a faked $10K check against their account - someone had photocopied a real check at some point in its handling and photoshopted the routing numbers and signature onto a fake. Unclear how it was passed - (photo deposit maybe?) but it only goes to show that in the digital age tyring to maintain use of hard copy as a security backstop is no help.

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If you hand around long enough, familty joint accounts and deaths may leave you with a checking account you might otherwise just close - we saved one just for Paypal. The thought of exposing our regular account to Paypal seemed frightening at the time so we turned an idle account we had 'inherited' into a dedicated PP account. It's been a good solution. There is never enough money in the PP acount to be a serious loss risk, and it's eay to EFT funds from our regular account into that account as needed.

OT but related, a friend just had someone try to pass a faked $10K check against their account - someone had photocopied a real check at some point in its handling and photoshopted the routing numbers and signature onto a fake. Unclear how it was passed - (photo deposit maybe?) but it only goes to show that in the digital age tyring to maintain use of hard copy as a security backstop is no help.

I can't transfer funds into my Paypal account.

35 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I can't transfer funds into my Paypal account.

No - but you can put funds into a bank account linked to your paypal account and then use them to make a paypal payment. It's the same action to the same effect. I guess that is as close you can get. Conversely when I've sold things via PP on EBay recently, the funds don't stay there - they push them back to your linked account - at least that has been my experience recently. Maybe I made that choice somewhere along the way or possibly it was an automatic one I didn't over-ride....

Edited by gehringer_2

25 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

No - but you can put funds into a bank account linked to your paypal account and then use them to make a paypal payment. I guess that is as close you can get. Conversely when I've sold things via PP on EBay recently, the funds don't stay there - they push them back to your linked account - at least that has been my experience recently. Maybe I made that choice somewhere along the way or possibly it was an automatic one I didn't over-ride....

I want to transfer cash into my account.

OOHH! I was not seeing the full post (the image!) you made at all before!! It just now came through with the complete post.

If you are trying to add a new account to Paypal, you usually can't use it immediately. The procedure in the past was once you gave them a routing number they would make two tiny deposits (some number of cents) to the linked account that you would have to verify to prove you had access to the account - this would at least take overnight.  So I understand why you can't make the deposit today, Can't understand why it isn't telling you something like that. Maybe because it's a bank holiday - SW down or something?

Edited by gehringer_2

I hurt my knee in a softball mishap in June and had to shut down for the season. I saw an orthopedist who said if I want to play next year I have to strengthen my legs considerably.

I had allowed my legs to go to pot when I got equipment at home so now to get them in shape, I had to join a gym. It’s the first time since 2002 I’ve belonged to a gym. I had gone pretty regularly since the late 80s up to then.

There always were machine or weight hogs who would sit and monopolize them in between sets. If I asked to work in with them it was a 50-50 proposition between “sure”, and some combination of “I only got x more sets”, “I’m holding it for a friend”, and “no”. Either way, I’d go somewhere else, come back in five or so minutes, and they’d be off.

But now that it’s 2022, there’s a new wrinkle to the whole thing: now when they are commandeering the equipment without using it, people are on their phones, which are very addicting and time sucking. So instead of hogging the equipment for a couple minutes in between sets as before, it’s now five or ten minutes.

I have seen when someone at a popular machine was sitting on it diddling with their phone, I left for another part of the gym to do other stuff, came back to the machine some 15 minutes later, and they are in the exact same place doing the exact same thing.

At least recently when I’ve asked to work in, they haven’t flat out said “no”. So maybe that’s an improvement.

On 12/31/2022 at 8:20 PM, CMRivdogs said:

Attempting to get a clean title on a vehicle we're trading in. When we bought the car in 2016, we only put my wife's name on the loan. We received a letter from Toyota in 2019 stating the loan was paid off. (I think we may have sent a copy to the SOS office in Lansing as well). Neither one of us remember getting a paper title from Michigan.

In late Summer 2020 we registered the vehicle in Virginia, placed both names on the registration. Now to the trade in. Virginia still shows a lien on the title. The letter  from the lender evidently means nothing because both names are not included in the release. Toyota says everything is done electronically now. Virginia can't clear it because their computers won't let them. No one can get thru to Lansing.

I'm hoping something gets done this week (it's been over a month now). Last conversation with Toyota told us they were able to electronically clear the lien, but it takes 3 business days. That means at least one more trip to the DMV and probably another drive to the dealer to release the check we gave them as a promissory note.

Meanwhile it looks like our trade-in may have been sold.

It's all one big racket...

Went back to the DMV today. Toyota released the lien, finally. Virginia gave us a new title. All it took was one or more employees to have enough gumption to ask a supervisor for assistance.

• Like 2