Biden's presidency

ewsieg

yeah I'm pretty much convinced that his vote has little to do with what his constituents think is popular.   

We already saw writeups that his Fox News Sunday performance was based on meanies hurting his fee fees and we've established in many instances he doesn't vote Trumpily, and like MB said, actually voted to remove Trump from office. 

Not to mention we do have empiricism that says that these programs are popular in WV and he's voting against them.  That's more evidence his vote has little to do with what his constituents like.

Edited by pfife

2 hours ago, pfife said:

What new evidence came out after I screenshotted his website grading data for progress as a B?

It's one poll. If they have a senate or house race with one poll, that poll isn't going to override their model's priors. This is like saying JaCoby Jones can hit because he went 3/4 one day.

Edited by Edman85

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

It's one poll. If they have a senate or house race with one poll, that poll isn't going to override their model's priors. This is like saying JaCoby Jones can hit because he went 3/4 one day.

it feels to me more like saying JaCoby Jones can't possibly go 3/4 one day because of his priors.   And that one time he did, don't pay attention to it, pay attention to the priors (which happen to be priors about Biden's victory, not BBB) instead.

We don't have priors about BBB b/c as you said it's one poll.

Edited by pfife

2 hours ago, pfife said:

it feels to me more like saying JaCoby Jones can't possibly go 3/4 one day because of his priors.   And that one time he did, don't pay attention to it, pay attention to the priors (which happen to be priors about Biden's victory, not BBB) instead.

We don't have priors about BBB b/c as you said it's one poll.

I thought JaCoby Jones would be the next Kirk Gibson. Until we finally released him.

1 minute ago, 1776 said:

“…BBB will protect labor and give coal miners a *better* shot at getting jobs in a renewable energy future.”

How?

if you are funding the build out of a new energy industry and you aim some of those development dollars into ex coal areas that is certainly a better shot at giving those guys a leg up than having all the HW come

from China.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

if you are funding the build out of a new energy industry and you aim some of those development dollars into ex coal areas that is certainly a better shot at giving those guys a leg up than having all the HW come

from China.

Even setting aside the idea that job growth from renewables could be aimed at that sector, BBB also extends fees paid by coal companies toward  victims of black lung.

It goes against the narrative, but there are definitely incentives to support this legislation if one comes from a coal background. 

Edited by mtutiger

31 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

from China.

I’m not disagreeing with your point at all. My question is, exactly how will the money be allocated and specifically to what? Is there a defined path to accomplish a transition from coal that has X dollars specific to this goal and X dollars earmarked for that. This is what concerns me about these expenditures, there are very few specifics up front. 
I agree with Manchin’s position to this point. 

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Even setting aside the idea that job growth from renewables could be aimed at that sector, BBB also extends fees paid by coal companies toward  victims of black lung.

It goes against the narrative, but there are definitely incentives to support this legislation if one comes from a coal background. 

Unless you're Coal Ownership.

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

I’m not disagreeing with your point at all. My question is, exactly how will the money be allocated and specifically to what? Is there a defined path to accomplish a transition from coal that has X dollars specific to this goal and X dollars earmarked for that. This is what concerns me about these expenditures, there are very few specifics up front. 
I agree with Manchin’s position to this point. 

do you have the same concerns about the 750b/year military budget?

It's honestly incredible to me how small the BBB bill is compared to our military budget

• Thanks 1

Manchin said this on Monday to a reporter. . .

"I would like to hope that there are still Democrats that feel like I do. I say I'm fiscally responsible and socially compassionate. Now if there are no Democrats like that, they'll have to push me wherever they want to."

GTFO with that fiscally responsible bullshit. You just voted for a $745 billion defense budget that is not at all deficit neutral.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Manchin said this on Monday to a reporter. . .

GTFO with that fiscally responsible bullshit. You just voted for a $745 billion defense budget that is not at all deficit neutral.

Nobody in Washington knows what “deficit neutral” is. Or for that matter, cares. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pfife said:

do you have the same concerns about the 750b/year military budget?

It's honestly incredible to me how small the BBB bill is compared to our military budget

So again, exactly how much money is earmarked for moving the coal industry to clean energy as defined in the BBB? And what is the path to get there? Any business spending money on a, we’ll call it a project, will have to provide a road map with specific expenditures along the way. 
There is no such thing in Washington. There is no accountability on either side. 
This BBB is so full of unnecessary spending it is ridiculous. 

Manchin may cave in the end, who knows. If you get out of line in either party these days you’re ostracized publicly and are subject to fire and brimstone.

3 minutes ago, 1776 said:

So again, exactly how much money is earmarked for moving the coal industry to clean energy as defined in the BBB? And what is the path to get there? Any business spending money on a, we’ll call it a project, will have to provide a road map with specific expenditures along the way. 
There is no such thing in Washington. There is no accountability on either side. 
This BBB is so full of unnecessary spending it is ridiculous. 

Manchin may cave in the end, who knows. If you get out of line in either party these days you’re ostracized publicly and are subject to fire and brimstone.

so no answer to the question you quoted?

I figured as much but you wasted a lot of letters telling me that

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pfife said:

so no answer to the question you quoted?

I figured as much but you wasted a lot of letters telling me that

I posed a question yesterday that apparently no one can answer. No surprise really. There are Senators in Washington that don’t know the answer either but are willing to spend the money anyway for political expediency.

The bill provides tax credits for purchasing EV's, for transitioning from fossil fuels to renewable energy, to manufacturing solar panels and charging stations in the US. Manchin receives more from coal and oil industry than any other industry. His family owns a coal company in which Manchin receives large dividends but I'm sure Manchin is the great patriot looking out for his state. I'm sure he put this much scrutiny in the defense spending bill. Coal is a dying industry. West Virginia should embrace manufacturing clean energy than clinging to the past. 

From today’s WSJ:

“Confronting Inflation, Biden Administration Turns to Oil Industry It Once Shunned

U.S. producers, chastised about climate change, balk at White House’s call for more drilling to rein in gasoline prices”

———-

How revealing. Biden and his people are doing their damndest to put oil producers out of business and punish those that survive. Not surprisingly, with inflation climbing and no end in sight, he and his administration turn to the very industry they’re trying to kill to save him. If it weren’t so comical it would be sad.

3 minutes ago, 1776 said:

From today’s WSJ:

“Confronting Inflation, Biden Administration Turns to Oil Industry It Once Shunned

U.S. producers, chastised about climate change, balk at White House’s call for more drilling to rein in gasoline prices”

———-

How revealing. Biden and his people are doing their damndest to put oil producers out of business and punish those that survive. Not surprisingly, with inflation climbing and no end in sight, he and his administration turn to the very industry they’re trying to kill to save him. If it weren’t so comical it would be sad.

if true, silly move politically. Oil Co's will drill if prices stay high - period. Don't need to waste your breath one way or the other.

27 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I posed a question yesterday that apparently no one can answer. No surprise really. There are Senators in Washington that don’t know the answer either but are willing to spend the money anyway for political expediency.

I posed one about an actual law they actually passed and you're silent about it, but also thinking everyone owes you answers about something that's not a law at the same time

it's honestly backwards that you're mum about the law and loud about the not law especially when everything you're worried about in the not law is way worse in the actual law yet you're silent about it

I'm intrigued by your selective application of the concerns

Edited by pfife