Biden's presidency

ewsieg

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Yet I still have that “non partisan” friend who only posts about the market when it goes down. 

Reminds me of the "non partisan" types who decry the lack of civility in political discourse from the left while being silent or ignoring it from the far right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pfife said:

Niiiiiice

Wasn't it Archie that had a serious issue with market valuations and his portfolio in relationship to his support, or not, of the current president?

Archie, you must be LOVING President Biden by now, right?!?!

Gonna vote DEM in 2022 since they're Doing So Well Leading This Country... Right?

Highest Stock Market Ever... Unemployment at 4.2% and dropping... Woo Hoo!!!

from trump's tax cut to biden's infrastructure bill, to continued low interest rates, the money keeps flowing out of washington and into wall street's pockets.

as long as we keep buying the rest of the world's goods and being a relatively good actor on the world stage, we can keep having the world's reserve currency and keep spending ourselves silly.

i read an article recently comparing the US to 16th century Spain, awash in gold from the americas.  i didnt really understand it all, but the basic premise seemed to be without any consequences for terrible financial mismanagement, government and society grew fat and lazy, and eventually collapsed.  we'll see if history repeats itself, or just rhymes.

I still think you are seeing the markets and the economy reacting to the country, or at least parts of it reopening from covid shutdowns.  Its not that Biden or his people had much to do with it other than it was mostly blue states that shut down for longer periods. 

I think some shutdowns were done to hurt Trump and the economy. Covid is as bad as ever now and I haven't seen any talk of shutdowns or the plan Biden had to get us out of the pandemic that he campaigned on. Maybe he forgot?

On the other hand Biden probably hasn't done a lot to hurt the economy either.  What he's doing to hurt the country, like the invasion on the uncontrolled southern border doesn't impact the markets or economy.  If his BAN (bankrupt America now) plan was to pass that could hurt the economy.   

Edited by Archie
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

from trump's tax cut to biden's infrastructure bill, to continued low interest rates, the money keeps flowing out of washington and into wall street's pockets.

Right there is the basis of our laws and society!

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, buddha said:

as long as we keep buying the rest of the world's goods and being a relatively good actor on the world stage, we can keep having the world's reserve currency and keep spending ourselves silly.

i read an article recently comparing the US to 16th century Spain, awash in gold from the americas.  i didnt really understand it all, but the basic premise seemed to be without any consequences for terrible financial mismanagement, government and society grew fat and lazy, and eventually collapsed.  we'll see if history repeats itself, or just rhymes.

and here I always thought it was just because the Spanish built their ships from Mahogany and the British out of oak. :classic_rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Archie said:

... If his BAN (bankrupt America now) plan was to pass that could hurt the economy.   

You're talking about Trump again, where his Tax Cuts ran $1 TRILLION annual DEFICITS his 4 years in office and he added $9 TRILLION TOTAL to U.S Debt? Another Republican as president and this country will have another GREAT RECESSION like the one Bush caused.

The usual:

Republicans FUCK UP the economy and the Democrats FIX the REPUBLICANS BROKEN Economies...

Rinse.

Repeat.

On 12/27/2021 at 7:06 PM, 1984Echoes said:

Wasn't it Archie that had a serious issue with market valuations and his portfolio in relationship to his support, or not, of the current president?

Archie, you must be LOVING President Biden by now, right?!?!

Gonna vote DEM in 2022 since they're Doing So Well Leading This Country... Right?

Highest Stock Market Ever... Unemployment at 4.2% and dropping... Woo Hoo!!!

The next 12 months will be interesting. If the Fed carries through on their projections of three hikes and the bond buying does indeed stop in eight months we’ll see where we are then. Interesting times we live in.

25 minutes ago, 1776 said:

The next 12 months will be interesting. If the Fed carries through on their projections of three hikes and the bond buying does indeed stop in eight months we’ll see where we are then. Interesting times we live in.

I think there's an argument to be made that QE was appropriate in response to the panny but they did it for years when it was totally not necessary.  Literally kept priming the economy while the politicians were bragging about how it was the best economy ever, and then a year later are like WOAH INFLATION?  BIDEN!  

But I do agree that we should see things slow down if they stop QE'ing.   Should help with inflation too.

Edited by pfife

I believe, all things considered at this point, inflation is more or less a natural progression of returning to some semblance of normalcy, post-virus actions/reactions. I recall many of the money gurus projecting a steep and severe nosedive in the market and economy early in 2020. They were correct. These same people were also, for the most part, we’re touting a quick rebound. The rebound has been staggered and there are many reasons why that I won’t get into.
Was it a good year in the market? Just look at the capital gains distributions to answer that question.

6 hours ago, 1776 said:

That'll slow inflation, the economy, and the market down...