Biden's presidency

ewsieg

1 minute ago, oblong said:

What policy change caused the supply chain issue as you call it. 

If you look back at my comment I didn't say a policy change cause the supply chain issues.  I said I thought three things contributed to inflation in the US and that would be covid, supply chain issues and policy change.     

If you look at things objectively and not with partisan blinders on you will see the truth better.  Presidents get wrongly blamed for things and then given credit for things they have nothing to do with.  It won't ever change and we see it everywhere including right here on this forum.

12 minutes ago, Archie said:

If you look back at my comment I didn't say a policy change cause the supply chain issues.  I said I thought three things contributed to inflation in the US and that would be covid, supply chain issues and policy change.     

What policy change caused inflation?

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Presidents get wrongly blamed for things and then given credit for things they have nothing to do with.  

They get too much credit and too much blame especially for the economy over which I think they have very limited influence.  They are kind of like baseball managers that way.  

3 hours ago, Archie said:

Boris Johnson has been in office for a few years now. Has he changed any policy that would cause inflation?  I don't know the answer but inflation in his country is probably due to similar reason it is in the US. 

I think inflation in the US started to increase soon after Biden took office.  Is it 100% his fault?  I wouldn't say it is but some of his policies contributed to it.  Covid and supply chain issues are a big part of the problem.  Biden takes a hit on this because he said he would get covid under control and that the supply chain issues would be fixed.  That's never happened and covid is way worse than its ever and the supply chain issues are also as bad as ever.  Biden would have been better saying nothing than trying to take credit for something that he thought would or might happen.  His "talk" with the longshoreman didn't do anything.  Great Britain is also seeing record Covid numbers so that's probably a big contributor to the problem.

I've hear a lot of people blame the $1,400 checks sent out as apart of the American Rescue Plan as the cause of inflation. I hear boobs like former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers saying that. I know you didn't mention it here and that's fair and fine. I just remind people that if Biden's $1,400 ARP stimulus caused inflation how bad would things have been if Trump had gotten the $2,000 checks he wanted to send out. I ask people who believe Biden's ARP checks caused inflation (not saying you do) if we would have gotten Zimbabwean levels of inflation if Trump had gotten his $2,000 stimulus checks passed. 

8 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

They get too much credit and too much blame especially for the economy over which I think they have very limited influence.  They are kind of like baseball managers that way.  

Unless it was Brad Ausmus.  He didn't get enough credit for taking down a good team.

Back on topic and not directed to TIger337...Businessesare not going to absorb higher costs.  They are going to pass them on to the consumer like we are seeing.  One area they have higher costs is in energy and fuel.  Biden's policy of shutting down pipelines and cutting back domestic oil production has contributed to energy cost increases.  If the dem tax increase on business goes through that will not help either.  Its just more costs passed on to us.

2 hours ago, Archie said:

Unless it was Brad Ausmus.  He didn't get enough credit for taking down a good team.

Back on topic and not directed to TIger337...Businessesare not going to absorb higher costs.  They are going to pass them on to the consumer like we are seeing.  One area they have higher costs is in energy and fuel.  Biden's policy of shutting down pipelines and cutting back domestic oil production has contributed to energy cost increases.  If the dem tax increase on business goes through that will not help either.  Its just more costs passed on to us.

Lol except it didn't.   Nice making it up as you go

3 hours ago, pfife said:

cutting back domestic oil production

LOL - Exxon sending out poorly trained maintenance people out two days before Christmas to fix a leak who subsequently blew up the hydrotreater at Baytown refinery which has resulting something like +150000 bbl a day of lost production has probably contributed as much to the increase in gas prices as anything Biden has done.

Edited by gehringer_2

ECON 101 taught me that businesses can’t always just turn around and pass 100% of cost increases on to customers, because higher prices pushes demand down, customers buy less, inventory builds up, and businesses start incurring greater losses than from just the price increases. Businesses can successfully pass on costs only if demand for their products is relatively inelastic. 

41 minutes ago, chasfh said:

ECON 101 taught me that businesses can’t always just turn around and pass 100% of cost increases on to customers, because higher prices pushes demand down, customers buy less, inventory builds up, and businesses start incurring greater losses than from just the price increases. Businesses can successfully pass on costs only if demand for their products is relatively inelastic. 

Yes exactly.  Gasoline, cigarettes, alcohol, crack cocaine, electricity - quantity demanded declines by a relatively lower percentage than the percentage increase in price.  However if you are at the elastic end of the demand curve, for example a vacation resort, a price increase results in a decline in total revenue.

33 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes exactly.  Gasoline, cigarettes, alcohol, crack cocaine, electricity - quantity demanded declines by a relatively lower percentage than the percentage increase in price.  However if you are at the elastic end of the demand curve, for example a vacation resort, a price increase results in a decline in total revenue.

Right, and even among less elastic products there can be tradeoffs consumers can make. With gasoline, there's driving less; with cigarettes and alcohol, there are cheaper brands. Point being, it's not as easy as here you go, customer, pay for my price increase. If it were that easy no one would ever go out of business due to cost increases.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Right, and even among less elastic products there can be tradeoffs consumers can make. With gasoline, there's driving less; with cigarettes and alcohol, there are cheaper brands.

Yes we are agreeing on this...in the inelastic range quantity demanded does decline in response to a price increase, for the reasons you stated, but the percentage decline is less than the percentage price increase.

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Who is Cartman? All his posts (except for one admittedly funny post about the Lions) are hit and run political posts. MarothforMVP? Stan?   

He doesn't seem to be vulgar enough for Maroth or conceited enough to be Stan.  To choose one it would be Maroth I guess.