Biden's presidency

ewsieg

7 minutes ago, pfife said:

and the authorship would just be... "Brandon"

i'm imagining a really bad photoshop of trumps book cover now

Brandon must be sad that his guy didn't measure up. Brandon's guy acted like a dick for four years instead of passing an infrastructure plan and came up short time after time. Sad. 😥 

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, pfife said:

They're all railing about inflation now.   But weren't when trumps fed reserve was pouring trillions into an economy that Trump bragged was the greatest ever 🤔 

Trump raised our debt from $19 Trillion to $27 Trillion.

But Republicans most CERTAINLY don't want to talk about THAT...!

Amirite?

Edited by 1984Echoes

24 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Imagine getting this worked up over an infrastructure bill.

JFC

That actually helps out this country immensely.

Republicans would rather F this country over than do the right thing.

Except those few Republican/ bipartisan votes that decided to actually do the right thing.

I'm fed up with the F'ing obstructionism.

Quit playing horseshit partisan politics and get this country MOVING in the right direction!

(That would be called setting us up for success, now and in the future, and enough of the freaking culture war BS!!!)

If I'm Joe Biden, I'm going on a month-long tour touting my infrastructure bill and I'm only visiting working class and urban communities to hype it up. I'm going straight into the heart of white working-class America to sell that this program will put people go with with good-paying jobs, while making vital improvements to our infrastructure in each local community I visit. I'd also hammer home the fact that the great negotiator Trump and Congressional Republicans failed time after time to get a deal done on infrastructure.

From a metro Detroit perspective, think communities like Allen Park, Clawson, Dearborn, Detroit, Macomb Township, Roseville, Taylor, Sterling Heights, Warren, Westland, Woodhaven. Those are the types of communities I'd send him to. I'd focus on these 7 or so states for my infrastructure world tour: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Wisconsin. The gloves need to come off though and Biden and the Democrats need to hammer both their success and Republican/Trump's repeated failures to get a deal done on infrastructure. When you put Democrats in charge, this is the kind of progress you get. Hell, bring Obama back out and let him help sell it too.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1

I think in general Joe needs to get out more.  Seems like the only time I see him is he's walking to and from a podium and not taking questions.  Not saying he has to do Trump style rallies but he should be out there more in the southern states where it's nice letting the country know he's the President.  Use the office with all that goes with it, Air Force One, Marine One,  The Beast (limo).  

No point getting out right now on infrascture, save that for this upcoming summer, but yes, it should be the headline as he travels through blue collar towns.  Right now, he needs to put his weight behind the John Deere and Kellogg strikers.  I grew up mostly anti-union, but as with everything in this country, everything over-corrects.  If he wants to win back voters in places like Macomb county, he needs to show the union workers he'll actually fight for them.

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

No point getting out right now on infrascture, save that for this upcoming summer, but yes, it should be the headline as he travels through blue collar towns.  Right now, he needs to put his weight behind the John Deere and Kellogg strikers.  I grew up mostly anti-union, but as with everything in this country, everything over-corrects.  If he wants to win back voters in places like Macomb county, he needs to show the union workers he'll actually fight for them.

I’d say the same for Dem Reps. Get out into the district neighborhoods promoting the advantages of supporting increased health care for families, seniors etc.

3 hours ago, oblong said:

I think in general Joe needs to get out more.  Seems like the only time I see him is he's walking to and from a podium and not taking questions.  Not saying he has to do Trump style rallies but he should be out there more in the southern states where it's nice letting the country know he's the President.  Use the office with all that goes with it, Air Force One, Marine One,  The Beast (limo).  

It's optical, but this has been one of the biggest missed opportunities by the administration so far.... to the extent that Biden had strengths on the campaign trail, it was in smaller, town-hall type settings where he can get voters one on one, and largely they aren't doing that stuff right now.

I think COVID is part of it, but that excuse needs to sort of recede along with this latest Delta wave. He needs to be out in front of the public more. Eric's point about being out with striking workers is a good kind of opportunity, but I think the political people around him don't get it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If I'm Joe Biden, I'm going on a month-long tour touting my infrastructure bill and I'm only visiting working class and urban communities to hype it up. I'm going straight into the heart of white working-class America to sell that this program will put people go with with good-paying jobs, while making vital improvements to our infrastructure in each local community I visit. I'd also hammer home the fact that the great negotiator Trump and Congressional Republicans failed time after time to get a deal done on infrastructure.

From a metro Detroit perspective, think communities like Allen Park, Clawson, Dearborn, Detroit, Macomb Township, Roseville, Taylor, Sterling Heights, Warren, Westland, Woodhaven. Those are the types of communities I'd send him to. I'd focus on these 7 or so states for my infrastructure world tour: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Wisconsin. The gloves need to come off though and Biden and the Democrats need to hammer both their success and Republican/Trump's repeated failures to get a deal done on infrastructure. When you put Democrats in charge, this is the kind of progress you get. Hell, bring Obama back out and let him help sell it too.

People mock Beto mercilessly for a variety of reasons, but I still think one of the better things he did when he ran for Senate in Texas in 2018 was visiting all 254 counties multiple times. You can question the fruits of his labor, obviously (ie. he didn't change a ton of votes doing it), but he also didn't lose ground in rural Texas either versus previous elections. As we saw in Virginia this week, just because a county is red doesn't mean it isn't valuble; mitigating losses in red counties can mean just as much as squeezing a few extra votes out of a big blue county. It's kinda late in the game, but it feels like that lesson is starting to be realized by at least a few more folks after how Tuesday went down.

Either way, I get that elected pols have jobs that keep them in Washington a lot of the year, but I would suggest that *every* Democratic candidate (incumbent or not) should make it a point to visit every county in their state or their district.... if you are running for rep (ie. not statewide), probably need to visit every community in the district multiple times. Understand their concerns, understand the differences between voters in different parts of the state or the district. 

It would be unfair to say that all Dems don't get this (I know there are some in elected office who are really good about visiting all corners of their constituency, such as Sherrod Brown or Tammy Baldwin), and obviously national environment plays a big factor as well. (ie. some of the erosion is simply because Biden is 10-12 points underwater; if, in 6-8 months, he's at 50% nationally and not 42%, Dems will likely do better to some degree in rural areas than TMac/Murphy did). But the races that TMac and Phil Murphy ran... well, frankly, they did run poor campaigns that were more tailored to the base. And that's not good enough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oblong said:

I think in general Joe needs to get out more.  Seems like the only time I see him is he's walking to and from a podium and not taking questions.  Not saying he has to do Trump style rallies but he should be out there more in the southern states where it's nice letting the country know he's the President...

Harris and Obama and others should do the majority of the touring/ talking whilst Biden does more National or state-wide appearances, methinks...

18 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Harris and Obama and others should do the majority of the touring/ talking whilst Biden does more National or state-wide appearances, methinks...

the problem is that plays into the "dementia" angle and "who is running the country" charge.  Biden needs to show that he's the boss and the one doing everything.  I think especially getting Obama out there plays into the criticism.

Biden needs to project strength.