Biden's presidency

ewsieg

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

the last two times the democrats had a ticket with a "person of color" on it, they won.  the only time they didnt, they lost.

the democrats have some time.  buttigieg seems like a good candidate.

Do you think Obama would have won if he could have run in 2020? I wonder anymore.

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Do you think Obama would have won if he could have run in 2020? I wonder anymore.

I think he would have easily won a 3rd term in 2016 if he could have run. He had one of the higher approval ratings upon leaving office. Harris torpedoed her chances of winning in 2020 because she attacked Obama. He' still a rock star in the party. 

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think Harris will be the nominee in 2024. I have a heard time believing she won't be.

i have a hard time believing she will be.

she isnt a very good politician.  or at least she wasnt when she ran the first time.  maybe they can fix up her image?

i think obama was a unicorn.  he's a really good politician and struck all the right cords.

i dont see another obama out there right now for the democrats.  but buttigieg has potential, its why he's in the cabinet.  i had hopes for kloubachar too.

the biggest thing for the next democrat is that the economy has to pick up and trump has to run again.  trump running again will motivate the democrats like nothing else.

I feel Buttigieg was picked as Transportation Secretary because Biden wanted to pass a huge infrastructure bill and needed someone to articulate well which is in Buttigieg's wheelhouse. 

Please no progressive in 2024. We do not need the people who came up with Defund the Police running in 2024. I do like Buttigieg and feel he has a little of that Obama appeal. Being gay makes him woke enough for the people who will complain he isn't a person of color. 

30 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I feel Buttigieg was picked as Transportation Secretary because Biden wanted to pass a huge infrastructure bill and needed someone to articulate well which is in Buttigieg's wheelhouse. 

Please no progressive in 2024. We do not need the people who came up with Defund the Police running in 2024. I do like Buttigieg and feel he has a little of that Obama appeal. Being gay makes him woke enough for the people who will complain he isn't a person of color. 

i think they put him there to showcase him.  he's seen as a future prez candidate, imo.

and certain elements of the internet will complain that he's not a "person of color" no matter whether he's gay or not.  they complained about it a lot when he was running for prez the last time.

i suppose warren will run again.  bernie wont, he's too old.

i'm wondering if this is aoc's time?  probably too early.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

the last two times the democrats had a ticket with a "person of color" on it, they won.  the only time they didnt, they lost.

the democrats have some time.  buttigieg seems like a good candidate.

A person of color didn't run for president as a Democrat the last election. A white man did. I think you knew that, though.

As things stand today, I believe Buttigieg would lose enough conservative Democrat voters to overcome his own white-manness and lose the election. Maybe it'll be different by 2024, but I wouldn't stake the party on it.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Oh, for Christ’s sake, stop with the “defund the police” horseshit already, would you? No one who matters supports that idea, and Sarah Lawrence undergrads marching around in pussy hats don’t matter. The only reason it still exists as a term is because red hats want desperately to continue hanging it on Democrats, and all you’re doing is helping their cause. 

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Oh, for Christ’s sake, stop with the “defund the police” horseshit already, would you? No one who matters supports that idea, and Sarah Lawrence undergrads marching around in pussy hats don’t matter. The only reason it still exists as a term is because red hats want desperately to continue hanging it on Democrats, and all you’re doing is helping their cause. 

No I won't stop because the progressives fucked it up with their asinine slogan. I mean, if it was a good slogan you wouldn't have a problem with me using it. I don't know who the dumbass is that originally came up with it, but they should be nowhere near a campaign. If you have to tell people not to take their slogan literally, it was terrible to begin with. I cringed the first time I heard it and I cannot believe someone was stupid enough to think it would help. The best part is the red hats didn't even need to come up with it. It was literally gift wrapped for them. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

No I won't stop because the progressives fucked it up with their asinine slogan. I mean, if it was a good slogan you wouldn't have a problem with me using it. I don't know who the dumbass is that originally came up with it, but they should be nowhere near a campaign. If you have to tell people not to take their slogan literally, it was terrible to begin with. I cringed the first time I heard it and I cannot believe someone was stupid enough to think it would help. The best part is the red hats didn't even need to come up with it. It was literally gift wrapped for them. 

Of course it’s not a good slogan. It’s a shit slogan, and no one who matters in politics ever embraced it. The Democratic Party disavowed it en masse months before the election, and the only reason why people are still hammering them with it is because … well, I don’t know. You keep doing it, so you tell me why.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Of course it’s not a good slogan. It’s a shit slogan, and no one who matters in politics ever embraced it. The Democratic Party disavowed it en masse months before the election, and the only reason why people are still hammering them with it is because … well, I don’t know. You keep doing it, so you tell me why.

I mean, there are still Democrats who still parrot it and it was even on a ballot that got pretty soundly defeated. Prominent Democrats are still being asked about it. It's not going away any time soon. 

44 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I mean, there are still Democrats who still parrot it and it was even on a ballot that got pretty soundly defeated. Prominent Democrats are still being asked about it. It's not going away any time soon. 

I don’t know any Democrat that matters who parrots that. Who gets asked about it still? I haven’t seen anything serious in the news about it in probably a year.

I would expect Bunker to troll us with that, but why do you keep hammering Democrats on it? You know it’s a big nothing to the Democratic Party, so what are you trying to put across here?

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t know any Democrat that matters who parrots that. Who gets asked about it still? I haven’t seen anything serious in the news about it in probably a year.

I would expect Bunker to troll us with that, but why do you keep hammering Democrats on it? You know it’s a big nothing to the Democratic Party, so what are you trying to put across here?

Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tliab still parrot it and Amy Klobuchar was being asked if she supported it since defunding the police was on the ballot in Minneapolis. It may be a big nothing to you, but I'm guessing so was CRT. My point is, progressives have a huge messaging problem. Their policies are widely popular but fail miserably at actually winning elections. 

If you think this is trolling or some Archie Bunker post, you're free to ignore it and move on. 

15 hours ago, buddha said:

i suppose warren will run again.  bernie wont, he's too old.

Warren is the politician I admire most along with Bernie. I knocked doors for Warren this time around and phone banked for her until she dropped out. I suppose if she ran in 2024 I'd do it again because I do believe in my heart she is the smartest and most qualified person we have in politics to be President. But I have a few concerns with her at this point, having sat through this last election cycle.

#1: She'll be 74-75 when 2024 comes around and would herself only be a one-term President likely. We need a charismatic, young political figure like Obama was in 2024=. Someone who can not only serve two terms but can also be around the party for years to come to help recharge and reshape our battered brand and sell it to the masses.

#2: She has a messaging problem that she needs to fix. While I personally loved her "I have a plan for that, I have a plan for everything" wonky style messaging, the average voter does not. I always like the way Elizabeth Warren talks to me like a professor, as if I am a student, wanting to be educated and wanting to hear just the facts and issues. That kind of smart, thoughtful politics, built around big, bold progressive ideas really sells to educated lefties like me.

However, her professorial style of politics and the way she focuses on the issues does not appeal to the average voter, certainly not the high school educated black or white working class voter. They aren't looking for Professor Warren to get up there and tell them about all the brilliant ideas and plans she has to solve what ails them. Some of these voters do appreciate the Bernie/Warren rhetoric built around us versus them, middle/working class vs the wealthy, as John Edwards would say, Our America/Their America. What they don't approve of though is some college professor getting up there, acting like she knows everything, and talking to them like a teacher would her students. Warren can come across as too wonky and too preachy and as partially shown by the last Democratic Primary, voters don't always appreciate that. When you look at the demos of who voted for Warren, you can see it is largely white, college-educated liberals. She struggled with blacks, Hispanics, and blue-collar voters.

She needs to rebrand her messaging and focus less on the specific issues that few voters outside her college-educated bubble care about and focus more on values and her personal story. The average voter cares more about generic values like equality, fairness, liberty, safety, stability, etc. than they do a 10-point plan and a 50 page white paper on how you're going to tackle poverty in America. While Warren would be a great President because of her calm demeanor, intellect, thoughtful and strategic nature, she isn't a good enough campaigner to get to the White House first. She needs to focus more on how her daddy had a heart attack and her momma had to go to work at Sears to support the family, the personal story and values that people can relate too.

I don't think Warren will run in 2024 and I'm not sure she should given her age. If she does run though, she can't just go out there and run a 2.0 version of her 2020 primary campaign or she will lose again.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tliab still parrot it and Amy Klobuchar was being asked if she supported it since defunding the police was on the ballot in Minneapolis. It may be a big nothing to you, but I'm guessing so was CRT. My point is, progressives have a huge messaging problem. Their policies are widely popular but fail miserably at actually winning elections. 

If you think this is trolling or some Archie Bunker post, you're free to ignore it and move on. 

As overstated as I think the impact of CRT was on these recent elections and on our current political situation as a whole, 'defund the police' is absolutely different... I don't believe that any mainstream Dem politicians really ever supported it, and sure, the some of the arguments being made were more nuanced than that slogan. But it was absolutely political poison in the 2020 cycle and the results on Tuesday in Minneapolis (where Frey was reelected and where the police restructuring proposal went down) really drive home that point as well.

I'm not someone who hates all SJ causes or anything, but I sometimes wish advocates would think more about how to persuade people to ones side on an issue.... we saw a lot of examples in the aftermath of George Floyd of how *not* to persuade the electorate. It should be a learning lesson.

Edited by mtutiger