Biden's presidency

ewsieg

It would behoove Biden to show up at Kellogg's and John Deere and be on the picket line. That's one thing a guy like Bernie understands. When Verizon workers were on strike in 2016 in NYC Bernie went out of his way, showed up, stood on a soap box and gave a ra-ra speech to the Verizon union workers. He did the same thing that year in Iowa for a company during the Caucuses. Biden needs to be out in front of the cameras, in the heart of white working class America, showing solidarity with these workers. Optics go a long way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oblong said:

the problem is that plays into the "dementia" angle and "who is running the country" charge.  Biden needs to show that he's the boss and the one doing everything.  I think especially getting Obama out there plays into the criticism.

Biden needs to project strength.

I read a rumor that Joe pooped his paint while visiting with the Pope. I am sure it is not true but the Trumpers will take that as fact.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

the problem is that plays into the "dementia" angle and "who is running the country" charge.  Biden needs to show that he's the boss and the one doing everything.  I think especially getting Obama out there plays into the criticism.

Biden needs to project strength.

I also think it goes against Biden's strengths... he's a pretty good retail politician who does pretty well on the road. He's not a soaring orator like Obama.

Edited by mtutiger

29 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I also think it goes against Biden's strengths... he's a pretty good retail politician who does pretty well on the road. He's not a soaring orator like Obama.

I agree, he’s good in small groups. There aren’t enough ice cream shots in rural areas. Or maybe too many and that could be a problem

7 hours ago, oblong said:

I think in general Joe needs to get out more.  Seems like the only time I see him is he's walking to and from a podium and not taking questions.  Not saying he has to do Trump style rallies but he should be out there more in the southern states where it's nice letting the country know he's the President.  Use the office with all that goes with it, Air Force One, Marine One,  The Beast (limo).  

I don't think Joe's mental acuity is as debilitated as Trump's, not by a long shot. But I'm not sure I want nearly-82-year-old Joe to be my main alternative to Rump in 2024.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't think Joe's mental acuity is as debilitated as Trump's, not by a long shot. But I'm not sure I want nearly-82-year-old Joe to be my main alternative to Rump in 2024.

I would prefer someone under 70 but the alternative has to be a viable candidate among the dem caucus. Seems like everyone’s got a beef. It’s why I called Joe the Applebee’s candidate. Nobody’s first choice but in an emergency it will have to do. 

40 minutes ago, buddha said:

i hope the democrats can do better than biden.  i think they can.

I know this is a terrible thing to say well into the 21st Century, but I'm an old man with a bit of leeway, so I will: if the Democrats run anyone with an identifiable minority trait—woman, person of color, non-Christian, non-heteronormative, certainly any combination of two or more—they will probably lose. If there were any one candidate with one or more of those traits whom I think would have any decent chance to beat Trump, it would be Al Franken. I can think of no one else at this time. No woman. No person of color. Not Chuck Schumer. Not Pete Buttigieg. No one. At least not as of today.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would get Harris out there. If Biden isn't running again, better start marketing Harris. 

I don't think there is any chance Biden will run again.  I also don't see Harris as the nominee either although she will give it a try. She isn't well liked and right now she's the perfect VP for Biden. If Republicans get control of the House and Senate they'll never impeach Biden because Harris is a worse option. If dems can't come up with someone better in 24 they are in trouble.

6 minutes ago, Archie said:

I don't think there is any chance Biden will run again.  I also don't see Harris as the nominee either although she will give it a try. She isn't well liked and right now she's the perfect VP for Biden. If Republicans get control of the House and Senate they'll never impeach Biden because Harris is a worse option. If dems can't come up with someone better in 24 they are in trouble.

I think this is largely true (I think they will impeach though) but a lot will depend on whether Trump is actually running.  I am assuming he is, and I think that alone could be a rallying effect around the Democratic candidate.

Edited by pfife

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I know this is a terrible thing to say well into the 21st Century, but I'm an old man with a bit of leeway, so I will: if the Democrats run anyone with an identifiable minority trait—woman, person of color, non-Christian, non-heteronormative, certainly any combination of two or more—they will probably lose. If there were any one candidate with one or more of those traits whom I think would have any decent chance to beat Trump, it would be Al Franken. I can think of no one else at this time. No woman. No person of color. Not Chuck Schumer. Not Pete Buttigieg. No one. At least not as of today.

the last two times the democrats had a ticket with a "person of color" on it, they won.  the only time they didnt, they lost.

the democrats have some time.  buttigieg seems like a good candidate.