2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Chris McCosky still carrying a big, bright, flaming torch for Hackin' Harold.

Sorry to break it straight to you, Chrissie, but boyfriend's gone, and he ain't never comin' back. 💔

Do other team's beat writers obssess over "old friends" like Tigers ones do?

I wish Harold nothing but the best, but he's not a Tiger anymore lol

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Do other team's beat writers obssess over "old friends" like Tigers ones do?

I wish Harold nothing but the best, but he's not a Tiger anymore lol

I thought the clip was fun.  He never really came across as a demonstrative type of person, so that was interesting to see.  Of course, he was never in a playoff type of game like that, so that could be part of the reason we never saw that kind of emotion out of him.

23 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I noticed Andy Ibanez on Team Cuba for the WBC. So he will be out of camp from roughly March 1 until Cuba is done.

Should be plenty of infield/dh at bats to go around, assuming Baez, Schoop, and Cabrera are playing as well.

Cuba and Netherlands (Schoop) are in the pool in Taiwan (Please call it Taiwan. Chinese Taipei nomenclature is Chinese propaganda), so that is a bit of extra travel time/adjustment.

It doesn't look like rosters are posted, but there is a pretty prominent photo of Cabrera on MLB's WBC link.

Hall of Fame SS/CF Robin Yount is on a podcast that I am listening to.  Guess in your mind how many all star games he made.  Got it a number?  OK.  It ain't that many.  Only 3 times.  Seems odd to me that a hall of fame position player would have MVP votes in 7 seasons, including it in a season where he wasn't named to the all star game, and only 3 all star game appearances.

12 minutes ago, casimir said:

Hall of Fame SS/CF Robin Yount is on a podcast that I am listening to.  Guess in your mind how many all star games he made.  Got it a number?  OK.  It ain't that many.  Only 3 times.  Seems odd to me that a hall of fame position player would have MVP votes in 7 seasons, including it in a season where he wasn't named to the all star game, and only 3 all star game appearances.

wow.  I guess it's a numbers thing too where b/c of each team needing a rep then he got  squeezed.   I also didn't realize he moved from SS so soon, 1985.  I thought it was 87-88.  I remember thinking they should do that with Trammell when Fryman came up.  

45 minutes ago, casimir said:

Roster crunches. 

Was up againt guys like Ripkin and Tram early in his career and Puckett, Winfield, Henderson and Griffey at the end. playing in lil ole milwaukee didn't help.

• Like 1

For all his fire, personality, and World Series heroics, Kirk Gibson was never on an All-Star team, although, asterisk, he did turn down two invites. Hey, it was the 80s.

Tony Phillips never made one, either. He might be the guy with the highest career WAR in the All-Star Game era who didn’t make one. He also got MVP votes in only one season, for us in 1993, when he finished 16th. The curse of the super-duper utility guy. He probably played more games at more non-battery positions than any player ever. No one knew just what the hell he was.

One other thing about Phillips is how late he blossomed. I drafted him for an OOTP team. I had to wait a lo-o-o-ong time for that ship to come in.

28 minutes ago, chasfh said:

For all his fire, personality, and World Series heroics, Kirk Gibson was never on an All-Star team, although, asterisk, he did turn down two invites. Hey, it was the 80s.

Tony Phillips never made one, either. He might be the guy with the highest career WAR in the All-Star Game era who didn’t make one. He also got MVP votes in only one season, for us in 1993, when he finished 16th. The curse of the super-duper utility guy. He probably played more games at more non-battery positions than any player ever. No one knew just what the hell he was.

One other thing about Phillips is how late he blossomed. I drafted him for an OOTP team. I had to wait a lo-o-o-ong time for that ship to come in.

Phillips would be recognized a lot earlier for his versatility in today's game and the value spotted.  I still remember when the Tigers signed him.  It was the same time that ESPN got the MLB contract so it seems like they were covering the game more.  It was the winter meetings and they were talking to Gammons in a hallway.  He called it a big signing and said Phillips will do very well in Detroit.  Back in the day when you found out stuff like that from TV rather than a tweet.

Regarding Yount..... the rule that every team needs a player leads to guys being left off who deserve it.  That's why ASG appearances should not be used to determine a player's historical value.  Along with fan voting for starters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

Phillips would be recognized a lot earlier for his versatility in today's game and the value spotted.  I still remember when the Tigers signed him.  It was the same time that ESPN got the MLB contract so it seems like they were covering the game more.  It was the winter meetings and they were talking to Gammons in a hallway.  He called it a big signing and said Phillips will do very well in Detroit.  Back in the day when you found out stuff like that from TV rather than a tweet.

Regarding Yount..... the rule that every team needs a player leads to guys being left off who deserve it.  That's why ASG appearances should not be used to determine a player's historical value.  Along with fan voting for starters.

Agree—I never pay attention to AS appearances when it comes to a players resume. I think Bill Freehan was a 11x All Star.  Didn’t help him get in the Hall, unfortunately.

31 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I didn't realize that Woodbery doubled as a Rockies beat writer.

At least Evan Petzold has been a quick convert. Almost from jump, every article he's writing now uses the phrase "control the strike zone", and every pitching and hitting line in his articles now include strikeouts and walks.

20 minutes ago, oblong said:

I'm drawing a blank on who could have been the Milwaukee representative on some of those nonMolitor Brewer teams.  That might be interesting to look back at.

Sure, having Ripken as the seemingly annual starting SS takes away one slot.  And then there's never a shortage of OFs when Yount moved to the grass.