That's A Wrap.

My memory of following Detroit sports goes back to about 1975 and the 2022 Detroit Tigers are, easily, the most disappointing team that I can remember.     

We've had worse seasons, no doubt, but this season was................painful.

There seemed to be a Bad Karma bomb that went off around this team.

Unbelievable Amount of Pitching Lost to Injury.   I've never seen an equal to it

We used 30 pitchers this year.   Yikes.  

A team that was shut out, what, 20 times?  More?  I lost count. 

Several experienced major league players having their career-worst seasons all at the same time.   Sorry, I'm not blaming the ball.   I can't see Scott Coolbaugh returning, but who knows?  

A big free agent shortstop who only decided to hit when the team was completely out of it and was the worst defensive shortstop in baseball.  

In fact, all of the big name shortstops that were available had very disappointing seasons.  The Texas Tandem has on OBP of under .310 and neither broke the 100 RBI barrier.   Trevor Story ad an OPS of .737.  Carlos Correa was the best of them, but was that a $35 million season? 

It seemed like when Riley Greene fouled a ball off his foot it felt like an omen...............because it was

Almost nothing went right this year. 

The highlight..........

Miggy got his 3,000th hit

Al Avila finally got canned. 

As far as some players looking better in September............I really don't care.   It doesn't matter.   That's like Tony Clark, Damian Easley all over again.  Second Half warriors don't mean anything when you're 25 games out when they finally get hot.  

This year was so bad that I really feel like nobody deserves to come back, including AJ and his staff.    I don't think Scott Harris leaves home to come here without total control.    I think it should be a total cleansing here.  

I think we'll see far more moves in the operations side than in player personnel.   I don't know how much you can move with the players.  Gotta have more to make forward moves.   I think we'll see massive organizational changes.   If AJ does not receive a great offer elsewhere, he will be back.  I'm kind of indifferent to that at this point.    I think you'll see changes at Comerica Park too.  I think the outfield walls will be coming in a bit, especially in Right Center field.  I don't know if they can get that approved by 2023, but for sure by 2024.  

Scott Harris has quite a job ahead of him.   I think that means at least 3 more years of the R word.   

I just hope they can fix Spence, Let RK marinate in the minors, where he belongs, not lose all 3 of their 3 young arms in 2023 (I have my doubts) and I certainly hope we don't build Riley Greene into something he's not -- a superstar.    It would be great if he could be a Curtis Granderson, but he's probably closer to an Austin Jackson...........nothing wrong with that, but if we build him into sainthood and he hits .277 with 15 home runs, are we going to tear him down?   

The Lions also disappointing some and the Wings and Pistons not being ready yet it looks like another playoff free calendar year for Suck City.   

1984 - 2013 we always had a championship-level team around here, why do we have to pay such a steep price for that now.   What did we do to deserve this? 

• Like 1

Just a disaster of a season, probably the worst case scenario that you realistically could ask for. Disappointing free agent signings, the Meadows disaster, major injuries to your two top young pitchers(plus your 3rd ended the season with a dead arm), your 2 blue chip prospects struggle, 1 of your few legit bats coming into the year in Candy collapses, Baddoo takes a step backwards and you got no real positive surprises thats going to be long term outside of maybe a reliever or 2 and we all know how volatile they can be.  Only positive thing was Avila getting canned.

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Just a disaster of a season, probably the worst case scenario that you realistically could ask for. Disappointing free agent signings, the Meadows disaster, major injuries to your two top young pitchers(plus your 3rd ended the season with a dead arm), your 2 blue chip prospects struggle, 1 of your few legit bats coming into the year in Candy collapses, Baddoo takes a step backwards and you got no real positive surprises thats going to be long term outside of maybe a reliever or 2 and we all know how volatile they can be.  Only positive thing was Avila getting canned.

We're all a little closer to retirement.  That's positive, right?

On 10/7/2022 at 11:09 AM, Sports_Freak said:

2008 was also quite disappointing. Many people were predicting 1000 runs and a division win. We finished last.

that team was much more disappointing.

this team had fools gold written all over it from the get go.  .500 at best.

16 hours ago, buddha said:

That team was more disappointing from a win/loss record but there were atleast some positive signs that could be taken from it going forward in terms of player stat lines. Many of the predictive stats pointed towards us being unlucky and that things would probably correct themselves which they did the following season when we were much better. 

There's really none of that this year, perhaps we may be due for a little bounce back cause it's hard to believe the players are truly this bad but other than that I don't think there was much you could look to say confidently that they will be better next year. 

On 10/9/2022 at 8:14 PM, buddha said:

After going 88-74 following up a World Series, and then getting Miggy for 2008 to basically close the deal, no wonder 74-88 was so disappointing. Going 81-81 in 2010 wasn’t a whole lot better considering how wide open the window was after falling just a blown HBP short of the playoffs the year before.

The thing I remember about 2010 is it seemed like we were still hanging on to the old guard and the team struggled to find even replacement level players to fill in the gaps.  Wil Rhymes, Boesch, Johnny Damon, Sizemore, Worth, Adam Everett.... a revolving door of AAA outfielders and infielders.  Brad Thomas, Ryan Perry....

For some reason I don't have a bad taste in my mouth after this season.  The last month of the season had some good games to watch.

On 10/7/2022 at 12:24 PM, RandyMarsh said:

This is the correct answer. It was basically one of those pre-season "worst case scenario" type of seasons. Everything went wrong and it cost a lot of people jobs. 

After living out of the region for almost the last 50 years — before the Internet era hit in stride — my ability to follow the team in earnest was spotty. When I discovered MTS in 2004 I followed the team minute by minute day by day no matter what. This year for the first time in 19 seasons I stopped following them. The team was like bad heroin laced with battery acid instead of good heroin that helped me take flight. This team was like waking up every morning and peeing broken glass into the toilet. Frequently before bed I would go “oh hey there was a game and I totally forgot“ and instead of following it assiduously in real time as before I would just look at maybe the box score or perhaps not even that. It takes a lot to wear me out and this team wore me out this year. The idea of more years of rebuilding futility makes me sad. Since so much unaccountable bad stuff happened this year next year has to be better but other teams are going to be better too so it makes me wonder if it’ll just be treading water, if that, again. Sigh…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

After living out of the region for almost the last 50 years — before the Internet era hit in stride — my ability to follow the team in earnest was spotty. When I discovered MTS in 2004 I followed the team minute by minute day by day no matter what. This year for the first time in 19 seasons I stopped following them. The team was like bad heroin laced with battery acid instead of good heroin that helped me take flight. This team was like waking up every morning and peeing broken glass into the toilet. Frequently before bed I would go “oh hey there was a game and I totally forgot“ and instead of following it assiduously in real time as before I would just look at maybe the box score or perhaps not even that. It takes a lot to wear me out and this team wore me out this year. The idea of more years of rebuilding futility makes me sad. Since so much unaccountable bad stuff happened this year next year has to be better but other teams are going to be better too so it makes me wonder if it’ll just be treading water, if that, again. Sigh…

You may have heard that some dramatic changes were recently made in the organization, so come on back and try them again for another year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

This is right where I was too. I was so tired I turned off scoring alerts on my phone. Having Adams calling the shots now gives me hope and has rejuvenated my enthusiasm. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

You may have heard that some dramatic changes were recently made in the organization, so come on back and try them again for another year.

Oh I will. It’s hard to live on hope, though. I wish I lived nearby and could go to games easily. When Scott treated me to a game three years ago it was just amazing to be around other Tiger fans. I’ve almost always been the only one I know. It was great to see the intergenerational love for the team among families with the parents and the kids wearing jerseys from different eras passing on the lore of the club. Seeing a happy 13 year old wearing a ‘60s road jersey really warmed my heart.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Ancient Fan said:

Cheer up folks. I've been doing this for over 70 years. I still remember the days when Van Patrick was telling us about the terrific homerun just hit by some rookie named Al Kaline or how some guy named Frank Lary just whipped the yankees again. It will get better.

Now do the Lions.

14 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

All of the Detroit sports rebuilds have hit a speed bump this year.  Coupled with Michigan State playing like a bad MAC team  this season, and it’s been a pretty lousy sports year.

the only game that matters to state is this saturday.  win that one and they'll tack another $20 million on to tucker's contract.

• Haha 1