Week Seven: Detroit Lions (1-4) @ Dallas Cowboys (4-2)

MichiganCardinal

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Fact Check: True Statement

its not a true statement.  even if it were a true statement, so what?  theyre the worst team in the league.  again.  which we all thought was not going to be the case.  not even you.

its the nfl.  these things can turn on a dime.  the lions could win a bunch of games and finish with 5 or 6 wins.  in fact, that's probably more likely than them finishing with the #1 pick.  however, right now it still sucks to be 1-5 and no number of obnoxious, 20/20 hindsight posts or excuse making is going to change that.

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

Yes. Remember all the talk of an easy schedule to start the year. They are now currently in line for the No. 1 overall pick. 

Nobody in the preseason expected them to be the worst in teh league. 

Their record is worse. Dallas, Philly, and Minnesota are a combined 17- 3. Even Seattle has a winning record.

My view of this team hasn't changed much just because what was expected to be another rebuilding season is off to a slow start, due mainly to injuries.

2 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

Their record is worse. Dallas, Philly, and Minnesota are a combined 17- 3. Even Seattle has a winning record.

My view of this team hasn't changed much just because what was expected to be another rebuilding season is off to a slow start, due mainly to injuries.

rationally this is true.  but the bears are 3-4 with a team that was supposedly the least talented in the league.  they just blew out a team that beat us 29-0.  the falcons were supposed to be the least talented team in the league and they've won 3 games.  hell, carolina is tanking and theyre 2-5.  the giants and jets were laughingstocks and now theyre 5-2 and 6-1.  when is it detroit's turn?

i get it.  injuries, bad luck, etc.  youre right.  but it doesnt make it any less frustrating or any less aggravating to be a fan of this god forsaken team.

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

can you really chalk it all up to injuries? At what point do we admit that the team/coaches aren't what people thought during hard knocks? 

They still drastically need players that cause other teams to scheme for. Even fully healthy, they didn't have that. 

I think its fair to say they disappointed. I think most expected more than 1 win in the first six. They don't have that and other teams have injuries as well, it's not just the lions. Sure the teams got better than anticipated by some at the start of the year. You know who didn't? Detroit

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I can't wait for when the Lions rattle off 4 or 5 wins and then people complain they should have lost more for draft position. 

I'll be at the front of the line. Cool they won five straight finished with six and moved from 2 to 14 in the draft. They don't have a QB and then next year finish with 6 wins again. Then what do you, blow it up? I guess competitive in 2028 is a reasonable goal, but hey they had a winning streak at some point in 2022. Neat.  

Perhaps I am a little more desensitized to the Lions losing, having been a fan for about 45 years. But I see some pieces developing and that is something at least. Still some gaping holes that when filled with guys that aren't waiver wire fodder should be a big improvement.

Next year i will expect winning. Holmes will have had 3 drafts, all of the bad Quinn contracts will be off the books, and they should have some money to add a decent FA or two. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I can't wait for when the Lions beat the Falcons, Jets and Giants and then see the same people complain because all those teams now jumped the Lions in draft position. *

*I am in no way. shape or form stating the Lions will beat all three of those teams. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

right now it still sucks to be 1-5 and no number of obnoxious, 20/20 hindsight posts or excuse making is going to change that.

On 10/24/2022 at 2:41 PM, Hongbit said:

Shocking to nobody,  turns out that St. Brown didn’t have a concussion yesterday.  He doesn’t have a concussion today.  He never had actually had a concussion.  The ref saw something apparently and that was enough for Amon Ra to be immediately down for the game.   He ran off the field under his own power without the slightest stumble.  Terrible overreaction by the NFL and of course it bites the Lions badly. 

Kudos on the Ref here... he saw what looked like a woozy ARSB and he did the right thing by pushing him off the field. He's not a doctor, he's not trained to do a full diagnosis.  He saw something suspicious and he took immediate action.  This is the RIGHT move for the ref.

Now, if the medical professional make a mistake, that's another story.  But on the field that was the right thing to do.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Kudos on the Ref here... he saw what looked like a woozy ARSB and he did the right thing by pushing him off the field. He's not a doctor, he's not trained to do a full diagnosis.  He saw something suspicious and he took immediate action.  This is the RIGHT move for the ref.

Now, if the medical professional make a mistake, that's another story.  But on the field that was the right thing to do.

Disagree.  The protocol failed.  There was no sign of head trauma.  He was not hit hard in the head.    There were no signs of Anoxia.  He was just slow to get up but there are many reasons why that could happen on a football field that do not include head trauma.   He was coming off an ankle injury and the hit had much more of an impact on his lower body.   He never had a concussion at any time before, during, or afterwards.  When the rule states the ref taking someone off the field for a head injury means they are out for the game, that ref needs to be much more certain when making that call.  

Edited by Hongbit

5 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Disagree.  The protocol failed.  There was no sign of head trauma.  He was not hit hard in the head.    There were no signs of Anoxia.  He was just slow to get up but ...

He was NOT just slow to get up.

He shook his head at least a couple of times. I watched him do it. THAT's why the ref sent him to the sidelines.

This is on the Doc's, NOT on the Ref.

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

He shook his head at least a couple of times. I watched him do it. THAT's why the ref sent him to the sidelines.

This is on the Doc's, NOT on the Ref.

I posted the video and that is just not evident at all.   The ref is standing in front of the camera and blocks the view so I guess it is possible ASB shook his head.  

Look at him get up though.  He was in burpee position on the ground and pushed himself straight up to standing in one motion without any type of stagger.  The ref grabs him and puts an arm around him and still not sign of any lack of balance or awareness.  The biggest one though is to watch him run to the sideline and then turn his head and look back at the ref and he’s still moving in a straight line without any difficulty or change of direction.   You can’t do that if you just had any type of even minor head trauma. 

He didn’t have a concussion which shouldn’t be a surprise since you need to take a forceful blow to the head or neck to get a concussion and that never happened.  It looked at first like he took a shot and his neck flung back but it didn’t on review.  It was a glancing blow from the bicep of the defender without much force.  

7 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Disagree.  The protocol failed.  There was no sign of head trauma.  He was not hit hard in the head.    There were no signs of Anoxia.  He was just slow to get up but there are many reasons why that could happen on a football field that do not include head trauma.   He was coming off an ankle injury and the hit had much more of an impact on his lower body.   He never had a concussion at any time before, during, or afterwards.  When the rule states the ref taking someone off the field for a head injury means they are out for the game, that ref needs to be much more certain when making that call.  

The protocol OFF the field failed.  On the field the refs aren't medical professionals.  They can't be expected to judge it.  They see something that might be concussion and they should take the action of referring to the pros.  The doctors should have been able to clear ARSB, but if the ref sees something, s/he should act.

In a perfect world ARSB would have been sent to the sidelines for a play or two while the medical pros verified that he was fine, and then he would have gone back in.  That's the part that failed.