Week Seven: Detroit Lions (1-4) @ Dallas Cowboys (4-2)

MichiganCardinal

I frequent this other Lions board and there are multiple posters there who are criticizing Campbell for not being aggressive at the end of the first half which I completely disagree with because the Lions hadn't scored a touchdown since the Lincoln administration and were missing all their top offensive weapons 

They also got on Campbell for not challenging the Brock Wright spot which I also completely disagree with because there's not much benefit moving the ball from the 1 to the 1/2 yard line and the major downside of the refs screwing up the review and costing Campbell his challenge for the rest of the game.

I'm certainly no fan of a lot of Campbell's coaching decisions this season but these two just seem like a case of criticizing the guy because it's the cool thing to do now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I frequent this other Lions board and there are multiple posters there who are criticizing Campbell for not being aggressive at the end of the first half which I completely disagree with because the Lions hadn't scored a touchdown since the Lincoln administration and were missing all their top offensive weapons 

They also got on Campbell for not challenging the Brock Wright spot which I also completely disagree with because there's not much benefit moving the ball from the 1 to the 1/2 yard line and the major downside of the refs screwing up the review and costing Campbell his challenge for the rest of the game.

I'm certainly no fan of a lot of Campbell's coaching decisions this season but these two just seem like a case of criticizing the guy because it's the cool thing to do now.

It appears the Lions couldn't even challenge the spot. They got the ball at the 1 yard line with 4 downs. That should be a TD with this OL.

Shocking to nobody,  turns out that St. Brown didn’t have a concussion yesterday.  He doesn’t have a concussion today.  He never had actually had a concussion.  The ref saw something apparently and that was enough for Amon Ra to be immediately down for the game.   He ran off the field under his own power without the slightest stumble.  Terrible overreaction by the NFL and of course it bites the Lions badly. 

9 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Shocking to nobody,  turns out that St. Brown didn’t have a concussion yesterday.  He doesn’t have a concussion today.  He never had actually had a concussion.  The ref saw something apparently and that was enough for Amon Ra to be immediately down for the game.   He ran off the field under his own power without the slightest stumble.  Terrible overreaction by the NFL and of course it bites the Lions badly. 

I don't think game officials have any say over the concussion protocol, unless that was a change in policy post-Tua... I could see the independent doctors and neurologists erring way on the side of holding a player out though, given one of their own was fired for making a mistake.

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't think game officials have any say over the concussion protocol, unless that was a change in policy post-Tua... I could see the independent doctors and neurologists erring way on the side of holding a player out though, given one of their own was fired for making a mistake.

The ref took St Brown out of the game due to concussion symptoms. I think since Tua things have tightened. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

The ref took St Brown out of the game due to concussion symptoms. I think since Tua things have tightened. 

I saw him send him out, I'm just not sure if that actually triggers anything of significance (i.e., "if a game official notices X, Y, or Z, they shall..."), or if it's just like any other injury where he has to sit out one play, but it's on team and league personnel to make any further determination.

I agree there is heightened scrutiny since Tua, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a communication sent out that made game officials a part of it.

We got nothing yet again from 3rd round picks Ifate Melifonwu and Alim McNeill yesterday. I don't believe Melifonwu even played. Alim McNeill has 8 tackles on the year, 0 sacks, and a PFF grade of 62. I can't recall a single game where I saw McNeill being a difference maker when he was in this year. At this rate, through 6 games, he's on pace for around 21-22 tackles, which is less than last year.

17 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

We got nothing yet again from 3rd round picks Ifate Melifonwu and Alim McNeill yesterday. I don't believe Melifonwu even played. Alim McNeill has 8 tackles on the year, 0 sacks, and a PFF grade of 62. I can't recall a single game where I saw McNeill being a difference maker when he was in this year. At this rate, through 6 games, he's on pace for around 21-22 tackles, which is less than last year.

To be fair, most third round picks suck

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I’ve watched this video 10 times and still see no signs of any trouble standing or keeping his balance.    He really didn’t even get hit in the head with any force.  Just a quick glance of a flailing arm. 

Well...

He was bent over head to the ground and... shook his head back and forth a few times... like he was trying to clear his head from having its bell rung...

I don't know if that means anything... it might mean squat; and he came back concussive-negative IIRC....

But that's just what I'm seeing and why they might have been overcautious... especially after Tua...

Chalk this up to... After Tua.

9 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Yankees lost too. Can’t be a bad day when the Yankees get swept and Aaron Rodgers embarrasses himself

But I actually hate the Astros more now.........

Go Phillies

We fired him and now he's GM two teams to the World Series................fired him for trading David Price away.........David Price who wasn't worth nearly the money he signed for elsewhere............

47 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But I actually hate the Astros more now.........

Go Phillies

We fired him and now he's GM two teams to the World Series................fired him for trading David Price away.........David Price who wasn't worth nearly the money he signed for elsewhere............

DD was NOT fired because he traded Price. Or anyone.

7 hours ago, NYLion said:

I'm certainly no fan of a lot Campbell's coaching decisions this season but these two just seem like a case of criticizing the guy because it's the cool thing to do now.

Challenging the Brock play would have moved the ball to the half yard line, allowing for a QB TD. It was the wrong call. Even if the refs screwed up and didn't place the ball properly, we would have just lost a timeout and we would have still had a challenge.

7 hours ago, NYLion said:

Invective is about the only thing the Lions don't lack. If they had a yard for every minute spent on Sports Radio ripping them today, they would have won the game going away! 🤬

Edited by gehringer_2

16 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The Bears are about to be 3-4. Things are looking worse and worse for Campbell as everyone around him keeps winning and he keeps losing.

bears, jets, giants, falcons, and seahawks were all supposed to be worse than detroit.

even carolina is better.

once again, we are truly pathetic.

I am enjoying the Packers and Bucs implosions.   Aaron blaming teammates again.  

Brady and Rodgers skipped  mini-camps and Brady walked out on training camp altogether for a week and a half and did not do the pre-game walk-throughs with teammates to attend his ex-boss's wedding.     That stuff makes a difference.    Rodgers didn't develop any timing with a bunch of new guys and Brady showed his team, on several occasions that they really don't matter to him.  

This is what you get. 

Too bad the Lions suck so bad because the NFC is pretty bad, an 8-9 team might make the playoffs this year.   Lions are going 4-13 at best.  

Are we really worse than preseason expectations given the injuries and tougher than anticipated schedule?

They had 5 starters out against Dallas on offense, including the top 4 offensive weapons. Goff isn't the kind of QB that can succeed without weapons. It's who we thought he was and why we need to replace him. And the O-Line hasn't had the projected starting 5 on the field at the same time all year. You can blame Holmes for drafting an injured WR and then signing another in free agency though.

On defense they were without Levi, Romeo, Harris, Walker, Comminsky, and just got back Jacobs and Paschel. The defense actually played their base game it looked like in spite of that. 

The combined records of the teams that they have lost to is 23-10, not the last place looking schedule it looked like.

They need to get healthy and add depth, period. There were some very good signs on defense from Aiden, Okudah, Joseph, and Paschel on Sunday to build on. And when ARB, Swift and Jamo are on the field at the same time the offense will put up points i am sure, even with Goff.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, buddha said:

bears, jets, giants, falcons, and seahawks were all supposed to be worse than detroit.

even carolina is better.

once again, we are truly pathetic.

Nah they all just started their rebuild sooner. So it's cool. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

Are we really worse than preseason expectations given the injuries and tougher than anticipated schedule?

They had 5 starters out against Dallas on offense, including the top 4 offensive weapons. Goff isn't the kind of QB that can succeed without weapons. It's who we thought he was and why we need to replace him. And the O-Line hasn't had the projected starting 5 on the field at the same time all year. You can blame Holmes for drafting an injured WR and then signing another in free agency though.

On defense they were without Levi, Romeo, Harris, Walker, Comminsky, and just got back Jacobs and Paschel. The defense actually played their base game it looked like in spite of that. 

The combined records of the teams that they have lost to is 23-10, not the last place looking schedule it looked like.

They need to get healthy and add depth, period. There were some very good signs on defense from Aiden, Okudah, Joseph, and Paschel on Sunday to build on. And when ARB, Swift and Jamo are on the field at the same time the offense will put up points i am sure, even with Goff.

Yes. Remember all the talk of an easy schedule to start the year. They are now currently in line for the No. 1 overall pick. 

Nobody in the preseason expected them to be the worst in teh league. 

30 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Too bad the Lions suck so bad because the NFC is pretty bad, an 8-9 team might make the playoffs this year.   Lions are going 4-13 at best.  

At this point, I’m having a hard time finding a scenario where there isn’t an 8-9 NFC team in the playoffs.    It may even be good enough to win the division  in the South.