Week Seven: Detroit Lions (1-4) @ Dallas Cowboys (4-2)

MichiganCardinal

2 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I agree 100%  They keep doing things that I really really like, but then it all falls apart and they play like total jokes when it matters most.

The running game ++

The defense - vastly improved, Hutch with some impact, Okudah lookint pretty good for weeks on end.  Wished for more out of Cominsky.

The OL - 4 sacks isnt good but still overperforming given injuries against a great D

Good playcalling and no conspicuous coaching errors

....but...the TOs...and the last two Dallas drives....we just cannot compete when it matters.

Today it was all about the players lack of required skills.

Despite the repeated embarrassments, I dont see them ditching Campbell, so I guess he has through the end of next year at least to try and figure things out, and hopefully Holmes will get the personnel on the field needed to win.

agree.  campbell is not the problem.  

the problems are 1) quinn left the team with no talent on defense; 2) jared goff is your qb; 3) the team is very injured.

campbell may not be the SOLUTION, but he is not "the problem."  look at the giants.  they have a crappy qb, but they have saquon.  when saquon is healthy they have a chance.  when he's not, they won 4 games.

swift being hurt kills them.

the real depressing thing is that they'll be this team next year too.  they'll draft a qb #1 and he'll either suck or sit next year.  it'll be another two years before they'll have a chance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buddha said:

the problems are 1) quinn left the team with no talent on defense; 2) jared goff is your qb; 3) the team is very injured.

campbell may not be the SOLUTION, but he is not "the problem."  look at the giants.  they have a crappy qb, but they have saquon.  when saquon is healthy they have a chance.  when he's not, they won 4 games.

the real depressing thing is that they'll be this team next year too.  they'll draft a qb #1 and he'll either suck or sit next year.  it'll be another two years before they'll have a chance.

As it stands, they would still have another 1st round pick, Williams should be back for a for season, and they should have more cap space. As bad as Goff was today, when players are healthy he can be effective and they can win.

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

Yeah, for better or worse, it will be Campbell trying to make this work and Goff trying to avoid puking up the ball like he has the last couple of weeks. 

It certainly does help when you have a guy like Swift out there (hopefully he avoids getting sand on his pussy LOL)....tho despite the fumble today, Jerome Williams has done a nice job this year.

2 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I wasnt watching or listening at the time so I did not know this:

"The loose ball was scooped up by Cowboys linebacker Anthony Barr, marking the first time Williams has lost a fumble in his six-year career."

So Lions.....so very Lions.

In so many ways....................that was layers upon layers upon layers of Same Ole Lions.   

49 minutes ago, buddha said:

But how about when they turn the corner and need a coach to have their back by challenging a call or calling an effective play? Do we think Campbell will learn all of a sudden? He's going to hold this team back with all his coaching mistakes. Every game it's something totally stupid.

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

But how about when they turn the corner and need a coach to have their back by challenging a call or calling an effective play? Do we think Campbell will learn all of a sudden? He's going to hold this team back with all his coaching mistakes. Every game it's something totally stupid.

i dont know.

i dont think challenges are the problem.  however, other organizations have been able to win and the lions have not.  at some point, the leadership should be held accountable.  given the circumstances they inherited and the injuries theyve endured, i'm willing to let campbell slide for a little longer.

how much longer?  i dont know.  talk to me when (if) they get moderately healthy this year and after they draft a qb next year.

the real question will be whether you trust campbell's organization to develop your prized rookie qb.

10 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Only one bone headed coaching mistake today. A TD not called a TD should have been reviewed. Wasted defensive effort by our team in this game. Does Campbell deserve to finish the season? Yeah, the players love him but will he ever learn to be an NFL head coach? Mistake after mistake....

i dont think that was a td, but the spot was a half yard back from where it should have been.  is it worth a challenge for 1/2 yard, knowing that youre in dallas and the refs are predisposed to screw you?  i dont know.

i think i would have thrown the flag to challenge the spot, but it wasnt a td.

For me, Campbell gets the rest of the year, and any fewer than five wins gets him fired. I wanted him to succeed not only because it's the Lions, but because I genuinely like the dude. But this is no different than any other regime we've had in my lifetime, and I'm sick of it. Just win, baby.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holygoat said:

For me, Campbell gets the rest of the year, and any fewer than five wins gets him fired. I wanted him to succeed not only because it's the Lions, but because I genuinely like the dude. But this is no different than any other regime we've had in my lifetime, and I'm sick of it. Just win, baby.

I want to see him succeed.

They are doing things with the OL and running game that they have not been able to do (running for 120+ yards and 4+ yds/att without their feature back week after week) except for Barry or Billy Sims.

But they keep shooting themselves in the foot.  They keep not showing up at critical times.  

They also dont have the talent but I cannot defend the disappearing acts.

Hes dispensable just like any other.  They need to be better at playing all 60 minutes or hes to blame for that.  They were better at this aspect today, but the TOs are just ridiculous.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

If the Lions can't get by without Swift, that's on management.  You know Swift is injury prone and probably going to miss half the season so you better plan for that.  

I just don't think Campbell pays attention to the details.  When I watch Michigan, Harbaugh is on the refs for every little thing they miss.  If it is a bad spot, they are hearing it.  If it is a turnover that should be reviewed, they are hearing it.  If it's a questionable penalty, they are hearing it.  It doesn't seem like we see Campbell pay attention to these things to the extent a head coach should.  He is a motivator and a people person but you have to be more than that as a head coach.  And if you are not, you better have the best assistants in the business to stay on top of that stuff for you.  

• Like 1

Caldwell was the same way. Look how we got jobbed in the Atlanta game with the 10 second runoff or the Seattle game with the batted ball. What did Caldwell do in response to any of that, he stood there on the sidelines with a blank, bewildered stair on his face. Campbell is the same way. He's never in the refs ear and barking up a tree. Not challenging the Brock Wright play was absolutely the wrong decision.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

11 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Caldwell was the same way. Look how we got jobbed in the Atlanta game with the 10 second runoff or the Seattle game with the batted ball. What did Caldwell do in response to any of that, he stood there on the sidelines with a blank, bewildered stair on his face. Campbell is the same way. He's never in the refs ear and barking up a tree. Not challenging the Brock Wright play was absolutely the wrong decision.

Except, it wasn't a TD and he would have absolutely lost the challenge and you would have complained about wasting a timeout.

• Like 1