Week Seven: Detroit Lions (1-4) @ Dallas Cowboys (4-2)

MichiganCardinal

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

We're at the point where we are criticizing Campbell for not a challenging a play that we know he would have lost.

It's not just the decision not to challenge the Brock Wright play. It's all the other coaching mishaps and questionable decisions that have lead up to this point. Unfortunately, Dan Campbell is starting to lose benefit of the doubt as a coach.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It's not just the decision not to challenge the Brock Wright play. It's all the other coaching mishaps and questionable decisions that have lead up to this point. Unfortunately, Dan Campbell is starting to lose benefit of the doubt as a coach.

He didn't go for it on 4th down and put his NFL worse defense in a hole. Making progress. 

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I watched the Cowboys game against the Rams and Parsons was in the backfield all day. Stafford got sacked multiple times and he doesn't get lost back there like Goff. This line shut down the Cowboys pass rush and ran effectively without their best back. 

Yes, the OLine performed brilliantly as they have throughout the season.  I didn't get a chance to see the game yesterday but I looked at some clips and it seems like Goff is doing a bad job in managing the pocket in the last couple of games, and that's not the OLines' fault.

I watched the Cowboys game against the Rams and Parsons was in the backfield all day. Stafford got sacked multiple times and he doesn't get lost back there like Goff. This line shut down the Cowboys pass rush and ran effectively without their best back. 

While true, does it matter if they can't get in the end zone? Stats are for losers, or fantasy football players. 🤣

So at this point, Jim Schwartz was 4-19 and Campbell is 4-18-1. I would wager this team was worse off than Schwartz team since there is no Calvin Johnson or Matthew Stafford and there was no Suh in this past draft. 

Yeah...we don't have the big dudes yet.  I like Hutch but he's no Suh.  I like what Williams could do but he's not going to be Calvin.  And Stafford was a guy who could carry a team and make things happen with his arm.  Goff hasn't even managed to get a ball into someone's hands beyond 26 yards this year.  Goff is a guy who can succeed with all of the pieces around him, but that's not the situation here, and I'm not sure when we will be healthy enough to say that.

I know I seem like an OLine slappy but this group is simply incredible.  What they have been able to do through injuries to their own unit as well as to featured skill players like Swift and ASR and some bad pocket management by Goff is truly amazing.  

We have the 7th best running game in the NFL with 145 yards/game with Jamaal freaking Williams as our feature back.  I realize that Swift is responsible for some of that but c'mon, this is a DREAM to see this kind of performance week-in-week-out from this unit.

If getting Hutch into a 2-point stance and getting Paschal and Cominsky back can get the DLine to perform like they did yesterday, and Rodrigo and Barnes can play like that, we will have some real strength up-front on both sides of the ball for the first time in a long long time.

Add Okudah playing like a D-Back/Safety and LB in the same game....

That would be something to build on.  I realize Cominsky is probably a stop-gap.

Unfortunately, we cannot keep relying on Swift to get and stay on the field, and Goff just isn't the answer at QB.  It's going to take a couple of years to get those positions where they need to be. 

Because of the QB and RB short-comings, it's looking like a 4-year rebuild (from last year I mean). 

Wait 'till 2024 or 2025!