Week Ten: Detroit Lions (2-6) @ Chicago Bears (3-6)

MichiganCardinal

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Is it still the same lingering injury they just stopped bothering to disclose? Did he take an inexplicable step back? I don’t get it.

Well I see two possibilities:
1. He's not fully healed but the Lions consider a 85% Swift better than a 100% someone else.
2. He's gun shy now and worried about further damage to his body so is avoiding going all out.

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

Stuck in the middle? The Lions drafted 7 and 2 the last two drafts, are in line for two top 10 picks possibly, top 15 at worst (unless the Rams go on some miracle run) and will have five top 75 picks in this draft. It's a clear direction, a clear rebuild. There is no wandering in purgatory, treadmill team thing here. This is a full scale rebuild. Whether it leads to better things down the road is another question but there's a clear plan here.

Historically speaking is what I was referring to. Good enough to beat the bad teams and bad enough to not beat anyone good is where we seem stuck at right now.

I'm pleased to see the recent improvement and happy to see this team keep fighting for Campbell and not quitting. I think they are re-establishing what they want to be and finally developing a team identity. Over the past couple of weeks we have seen improvement from guys that weren't St. Brown and Okudah and improvement is what I've wanted to see week over week all season. Hutch, Kerby Joseph, and others on the defensive side of the ball have shown improvement.

It'd be nice if this team could find some balance and consistency from week to week from here on out. Even if they don't win every week, knowing they played hard, young guys continue looking better and better, and Campbell is the reason we are winning games, not losing them.

23 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Historically speaking is what I was referring to. Good enough to beat the bad teams and bad enough to not beat anyone good is where we seem stuck at right now.

I'm pleased to see the recent improvement and happy to see this team keep fighting for Campbell and not quitting. I think they are re-establishing what they want to be and finally developing a team identity. Over the past couple of weeks we have seen improvement from guys that weren't St. Brown and Okudah and improvement is what I've wanted to see week over week all season. Hutch, Kerby Joseph, and others on the defensive side of the ball have shown improvement.

It'd be nice if this team could find some balance and consistency from week to week from here on out. Even if they don't win every week, knowing they played hard, young guys continue looking better and better, and Campbell is the reason we are winning games, not losing them.

As difficult as it's been, I think we're seeing improvement in not only the play & the result on the field, but in how Campbell calls a game.  & it's more than just a willingness to move coaches out.  There were 4th downs early in the game that I feel like he would have gone for last year or even earlier this year.  This time he took the FG, or punted and made the Bears move the length of the field.  Having corners not playing the way you want them too & giving the opponents a short field is a recipe for disaster - He has corrected those.

Not a pff subscriber so I don't have all the grades but I seen that St. Brown was the highest graded player on offense at an 89 and Jarrad Davis, yes Jarrad Davis was highest on defense at I believe 84. The lowest on the defense and team was actually Kerby Joseph who last week was the highest along with being the defender of the week in the NFC. Funny how quickly things can change. 

The free press also said the whole offensive line got good grades with Ragnow and Decker being the highest but they didnt print their numbers. 

31 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not a pff subscriber so I don't have all the grades but I seen that St. Brown was the highest graded player on offense at an 89 and Jarrad Davis, yes Jarrad Davis was highest on defense at I believe 84. The lowest on the defense and team was actually Kerby Joseph who last week was the highest along with being the defender of the week in the NFC. Funny how quickly things can change. 

The free press also said the whole offensive line got good grades with Ragnow and Decker being the highest but they didnt print their numbers. 

Important to know what PFF grades account for and what they don’t.  It’s grown on me quite a bit over the years but I don’t feel it’s ideal to use on its own to judge how someone played.    

PFF grades by using a 2 to -2 score for each player on each play.   They add them up and then use a formula to put them into a 1-100 scale for comparison purposes.   It is a cumulative total where the very best play still only counts for 2 points.   It’s very possible for a player to make 2 terrible plays that lose the game and still have a high score.  The opposite is also true and a player can make 2 massive plays to win the game but still score low. Overall impact on the final score of the game may not end up being as important as how their average was throughout the entire game. 

I like that it does account for what a player is expected to do in a situation.  If a player drops a wide open pass, the QB still gets a good grade.  He’s also downgraded if a WR makes a miraculous catch on a poorly thrown ball.    It also has a formula that does take some account for game situation and will give a boost for making plays in crucial times.  

It does not account for who a particular player is going against.  A WR going against Amani Oruwariye will be judged the same as a WR going against Jalen Ramsey.  This is a pretty big flaw.

One common complaint is they don’t know the play call so they can’t 100% account for what each player is supposed to do on every play.  The reality is they watch enough football to have a pretty good idea what the assignment should be on 95%+.  It’s not as super complex as we may think it may be once they break it down.  This isn’t really an issue for me anymore.

4 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

When you're at the bottom winning meaningless games is a way to change the mentality. You have to crawl before you walk or run and the Lions have been crawling for far too long. Take the wins and enjoy them.

That's just coach speak. There is zero evidence that is true.

The giants had four wins last year and lost their last six. How is this year going for them?

There is plenty of evidence finding the right qb can change your fortunes overnight. 

Edited by KL2

On 11/14/2022 at 10:32 PM, KL2 said:

That's just coach speak. There is zero evidence that is true.

The giants had four wins last year and lost their last six. How is this year going for them?

There is plenty of evidence finding the right qb can change your fortunes overnight. 

The Giants don't even have a good QB or any of their good WR's playing this year. Brian Daboll is working with Saquon Barkley and a bunch of castoffs and beating division leaders like Tennessee and Baltimore.

I also agree that momentum doesn't carry over year to year with a football team or any sports team. You are either talented enough and well coached enough to win consistently season over season and be a good team or you aren't.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

They might come back down to Earth and Daboll might look like a loser in the end, but right now they are winning and beating good teams to do it. The other note on Daboll is that he was given a ton of credit for being the OC that helped turn around Josh Allen. I can't say that he's turning Daniel Jones into anything special, but he's winning with what he's got.

I'm not saying it's necessarily true but when people talk about wins carrying over they're not so much "momentum" that carries over its the positive vibe you get from winning and believing that you can actually compete next year which makes you want to work that much harder in the offseason. Losing just creates a negative environment and makes it harder to get up every day and put the work in.