Week Ten: Detroit Lions (2-6) @ Chicago Bears (3-6)

MichiganCardinal

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Why are NFL overtimes only 10:00? Even if Buffalo gets it back, they're already in a near two-minute offense. Might as well go NCAA and eliminate the clock altogether if you're going to a single 10-minute period.

I actually like the current format, but the clock should just be off.

Just now, mtutiger said:

I actually like the current format, but the clock should just be off.

I would be fine with that for the regular season. Maybe putting 5:00 on the clock if tied after both teams have had a possession... I think playoff OT could be expanded though, I would prefer both teams have a chance in today's offense-first NFL. I don't think a Mahomes/Allen AFC Championship showdown should end in OT without one of them touching the ball.

9 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I would be fine with that for the regular season. Maybe putting 5:00 on the clock if tied after both teams have had a possession... I think playoff OT could be expanded though, I would prefer both teams have a chance in today's offense-first NFL. I don't think a Mahomes/Allen AFC Championship showdown should end in OT without one of them touching the ball.

I like the college football format now, although I think both college and especially the NFL if they adopt it should place the ball at the 35 not the 25. 

50 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

If the Vikings win...Bills fans will wonder if they should have taken a safety instead of trying the QB sneak from their own .5 yd line

In hindsight, sure... but who expects a fumble there?  You try to push the ball out a bit... if you fail, then take the safety.

6 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

You can never please everyone.  Lions win?  Bah... meaningless.  Lions lose? They're trash... only x-number of wins in the last two years...

Here we are, floating around the endless void of space on this giant blue marble... it's all meaningless. 

the lions had lost 98 straight games when trailing by 14 entering the 4th quarter.  their first win since 1993.

the bears are the first team in nfl history to score at least 29 points in three consecutive games and lose all three.  in case you thought the lions defense was bad...

Edited by buddha
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Ragnow left the stadium in a walking boot.  It appears to be the same foot that has given him problems for 2 years. Fingers crossed it’s not a major injury.  

Not that I want him out, but Evan Brown filled in very nicely last year so it's probably the one OL spot I'd be the least concerned about.  Again, I'd much rather have Ragnow in, but if you asked me to pick an OL that had to be out for an extended period, that's the one I'd probably pick.

18 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

If the Vikings win...Bills fans will wonder if they should have taken a safety instead of trying the QB sneak from their own .5 yd line

I was also wondering that in the moment, being up four, but IIRC there were something like thirty-odd seconds left in the game. Taking the safety, Bills would have had to free-kick from the 20, Vikes would probably have established field position around their 40, then the Vikes would have had two, maybe three?, plays to get into decent position for a game-winning FG.

Had the Bills been up six or better, it may have made more sense as a calculated risk.

18 hours ago, RedRamage said:

You can never please everyone.  Lions win?  Bah... meaningless.  Lions lose? They're trash... only x-number of wins in the last two years...

You gotta admit, this has been a Lions season of a familiar type: run yourself completely out of playoff contention with a 1-7 record during the first half of the season, then win a few ... well, yes, meaningless, let's say that ... games to run yourself out of a top draft pick. It really is worst of all worlds, at least until you remember that no matter where the Lions pick, they have little idea how to draft or develop anyway.

30 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You gotta admit, this has been a Lions season of a familiar type: run yourself completely out of playoff contention with a 1-7 record during the first half of the season, then win a few ... well, yes, meaningless, let's say that ... games to run yourself out of a top draft pick. It really is worst of all worlds, at least until you remember that no matter where the Lions pick, they have little idea how to draft or develop anyway.

They are only 2 games out with 8 to play and play the teams ahead of them. They've had the toughest schedule in the NFL to date and it will start to get easier. They are not out of playoff contention. It isn't even much of a long shot.

I mean great, he did was a coach is supposed to do, win games and not be talked about in a negative light in the end. He got his first road win ever as a Lions Head Coach. Were are in purgatory and simply have to ride this season out and wait until next year. We aren't good enough yet to beat anyone that's a good team and we aren't bad enough now to just stand around and cheer for the #1 overall pick. We are right back where we've frequently been as an organization and team, stuck in the middle, telling ourselves just wait until next year.

On 11/11/2022 at 2:33 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This is a prove it game for me for Dan Campbell and the growth of this team. If they go out and lose to a Bears team that sold off pieces at the deadline then I think all the shine of the past week or so will have worn off. After losing, the calls by fans to turn up the heat on Campbell will be out in full force. The other thing a loss would do is kill the narrative that the first half of the season they just happened to face a tough schedule. You can't lose to a cupcake team like the Bears if you want to prove to fans you're any good and that you're improving as a team.

How it started...

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I mean great, he did was a coach is supposed to do, win games and not be talked about in a negative light in the end. He got his first road win ever as a Lions Head Coach. Were are in purgatory and simply have to ride this season out and wait until next year. We aren't good enough yet to beat anyone that's a good team and we aren't bad enough now to just stand around and cheer for the #1 overall pick. We are right back where we've frequently been as an organization and team, stuck in the middle, telling ourselves just wait until next year.

....how it's going.

• Haha 1

What’s up with Swift? He didn’t have an injury designation on him, but if you watch his body of work from the Eagles game or Commanders game and compare it to yesterday or against the Packers, it’s night and day. He is far less explosive and agile. The 3rd and Goal run in particular was agitating - a starting running back should have been able to find the hole and punch that in, not get driven out of bounds.

Is it still the same lingering injury they just stopped bothering to disclose? Did he take an inexplicable step back? I don’t get it.