2024 Presidential Election Thread

oblong

Now that the midterm elections are over, if not finished calculating, I figured it's time to kick this off for discussions related to this.  

With the lack of a red wave but Ron DeSantis doing so well in Florida it seems obvious that he's the consensus front runner, if not in numbers, but in punditry.  The question is whether Donald Trump will step aside or fight him for it.  He's already given him a nickname.   I believe Ron could win the primary but I also think Trump has just enough of a populust/cult following that will just sit out the election.

On the D side the big question is whether Biden runs.  If he does will someone have the balls to primary him? If he doesn't, I doubt he annoints Harris as his favorite.  

Trump's ego won't let him back down. The question for me is does DeSantis have enough backbone to actually stand up to Trump and give it right back to him? This has the potential of being an Ali-Frazier type battle or diverge into something like WWF. 

No clue with Biden. I'd like to see him step aside but there seems to be no one waiting in the wings. I really wish he would he would have picked Demmings as a running mate. Even though she lost in Florida she seems like a more formidable candidate.

6 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Trump's ego won't let him back down. The question for me is does DeSantis have enough backbone to actually stand up to Trump and give it right back to him? This has the potential of being an Ali-Frazier type battle or diverge into something like WWF.

I don't see why DeSantis wouldn't have the backbone. Of all the Republicans, it was his night, and Trump was roundly repudiated.

DeSantis has the awful ideas red hats like without the personality liability, at least at the moment. October 2024 is a long way a way and a lot of events will transpire by then, and if there's one thing I feel certain of, it's that whatever people think when they think of DeSantis today will be substantially different 23 months from now.

The Republicans look to be in a very precarious position right now.

They’ve gone all in on Trump for almost seven years. Trump all by himself drove to the polls millions of people who wouldn’t normally vote. They voted because he was on the ticket; they’ll avoid voting if he’s not. Once he leaves, Republicans probably won’t be able to bank on those voters anymore. I’m not talking about very conservative voters who will simply shift to DeSantis—that’s going to happen. I’m talking about the red hat wackaloons who spend all day on the Stormfront website and spout Qonsense on Truth Social and dress up for militia “practice” and agitate for book burnings at the local grade school and all that. There are a few million of those, and they’ll likely leave the electorate altogether.

They also had gone all in on the #1 all-time issue for the religious right,  No Abortion, Nosirree. After the mass repudiation of this idea at the polls, how can Republicans effectively continue pushing the notion of complete abortion bans and still expect to win elections? Even Kentucky voted against the ability of their government to strip the right to abortion from its citizens. Kentucky, for cry eye! BUT, if they ignore the abortion issue altogether, or even fail to pay homage to the idea that they might implement nothing short of a complete ban, they may have to kiss millions of evangelical votes buh-bye, too.

But also, if they continue to spout insane conspiracy ideas and push to strip people of the freedom to abortions, and even more freedoms beyond that, they will continue to lose the conservative middle who want nothing to do with any of that garbage.

So at this moment, anyway, it looks like damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

😁 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The Republicans look to be in a very precarious position right now.

They’ve gone all in on Trump for almost seven years. Trump all by himself drove to the polls millions of people who wouldn’t normally vote. They voted because he was on the ticket; they’ll avoid voting if he’s not. Once he leaves, Republicans probably won’t be able to bank on those voters anymore. I’m not talking about very conservative voters who will simply shift to DeSantis—that’s going to happen. I’m talking about the red hat wackaloons who spend all day on the Stormfront website and spout Qonsense on Truth Social and dress up for militia “practice” and agitate for book burnings at the local grade school and all that. There are a few million of those, and they’ll likely leave the electorate altogether.

They also had gone all in on the #1 all-time issue for the religious right,  No Abortion, Nosirree. After the mass repudiation of this idea at the polls, how can Republicans effectively continue pushing the notion of complete abortion bans and still expect to win elections? Even Kentucky voted against the ability of their government to strip the right to abortion from its citizens. Kentucky, for cry eye! BUT, if they ignore the abortion issue altogether, or even fail to pay homage to the idea that they might implement nothing short of a complete ban, they may have to kiss millions of evangelical votes buh-bye, too.

But also, if they continue to spout insane conspiracy ideas and push to strip people of the freedom to abortions, and even more freedoms beyond that, they will continue to lose the conservative middle who want nothing to do with any of that garbage.

So at this moment, anyway, it looks like damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

😁

I have a very conservative friend who told all of his friends on facebook it's time to dump trump and go all in on DeSantis.

I told him that DeSantis is very favorable for conservatives but the problem is Trump drew in people that normally didn't vote for Republicans.  Even the comments confirmed that among his people.  DeSantis was considered "establishment" by these people.  DeSantis could end up with the same type of support McCain and Romney got.  Republicans can back DeSantis but if Trump takes his 4% home then Ronnie's got a ceiling.

4 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Same. No idea who I would prefer to run in his place either.

I thank Biden for his service, beating Trump, and passing several big pieces of progressive legislation like the American Rescue Plan, a climate bill, and Medicare negotiating prescription drug prices. It's time though for Biden, Pelosi, Bernie, Hoyer, and the elders of the party to pass the torch on to a new generation of leaders.

As a progressive I DO NOT want Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren to run again. They are too old and have already run and lost. I do however want to see a progressive presidential candidate take a shot at the White House if Biden doesn't run. I'd like it to be someone who can realistically win a general election, so not AOC.

I'd say my way too early top 5 would be the following people:

1. Tammy Baldwin

2. Josh Shapiro

3. John Fetterman (Depending on how his health has recovered)

4. Gretchen Whitmer

5. Cory Booker

20 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Tudor Dixon campaigned on turning Michigan into Florida and got smoked. I don't see the appeal in DeSantis. He's Richard Nixon. All bully and no charisma. I don't think he does well outside of Florida. The one to look out for is Kari Lake if she wins in Arizona. Hell, even if she doesn't. 

Nixon clobbered McGovern, so someone back then liked him. But the Archie Bunker crowd that liked Nixon is long gone. So in today's electorate, it is hard to see where DeSantis has broad-based appeal. I think Kari Lake, who is equally MAGA, has much more national appeal and natural charisma. Here's to hoping she doesn't even win in Arizona though.

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I thank Biden for his service, beating Trump, and passing several big pieces of progressive legislation like the American Rescue Plan, a climate bill, and Medicare negotiating prescription drug prices. It's time though for Biden, Pelosi, Bernie, Hoyer, and the elders of the party to pass the torch on to a new generation of leaders.

As a progressive I DO NOT want Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren to run again. They are too old and have already run and lost. I do however want to see a progressive presidential candidate take a shot at the White House if Biden doesn't run. I'd like it to be someone who can realistically win a general election, so not AOC.

I'd say my way too early top 5 would be the following people:

1. Tammy Baldwin

2. Josh Shapiro

3. John Fetterman (Depending on how his health has recovered)

4. Gretchen Whitmer

5. Cory Booker

1. Tammy Baldwin is a no go. With this supreme court, she will get knocked off the ballot due to her birth status. 

2. No way in hell I'm giving up the governor's seat in a major swing state that appoints the secretary of state.

3. See number 2 minus the SOS thing

4. Probably the best candidate of the list. 

5. He tried and flop. Good public speaker.

Joe Biden has been the most productive president since Lyndon Johnson and has had to navigate the country through circumstances we have never seen before. He presided over one of the best midterms for an incumbent party in decades. Knock this off. He is and should run in 2024 unless he's dead. Even then I would still vote for him over a Republican. 

I'm tired of "sexy". Charismatic candidates that are good administrators only come around once a generation or so.

Give me a younger Sherrod Brown or a Michael Bennet. I'd settle for a Tim Kaine who was a decent governor and a good campaigner, unfortunately he has the personality of paint drying. I still love his father in law however.

Let me add Amy Klobuchar to the list. She may be boring as hell and tough on her staff but I guarantee they won't have to clean catsup off the White House walls.

Edited by CMRivdogs

1 hour ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Same. No idea who I would prefer to run in his place either.

In part due to their relative electoral success on Tuesday, particularly in Gov races, I am actually encouraged and feel that they have some compelling candidates to go along with Harris (who I assume would be the front runner). Whitmer, Shapiro, Jared Polis (who basically was the Ron DeSantis of Colorado on Tuesday) all would be strong candidates. And honestly, I'd prefer that they start elevating Governors to run in these elections.... having executive experience matters.

The difficulty with the Democratic Party, as always, is who can turn out the largest percentage part of the base, which is African Americans... it's a big piece of why Biden won the nomination in 2020 and anyone wishing to succeed him will need to make inroads with that community.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1