Week Fifteen: Detroit Lions (6-7) @ New York Jets (7-6)

MichiganCardinal

16 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Really? I was thinking of cheering for the Giants. Given their schedules and given that I think NYG is a bit better team, I more like the chances of the Commanders losing at least one of their final 3 games. 

The Commanders are playing better ball than the Giants. The one issue is that the Giants play the Eagles the last game which will likely mean nothing to them so that could be a problem.

Either way, if the Lions win out they should be in so just keep winning but to give a little room for error if the Lions lose one, we should root for Washington tonight because I think the Giants losing 2 more is more likely.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If either get hired by another team, they're likely going to bring other Lions coaches with them as well.

If Johnson goes, one of Staley, Engstrand, or Brunell will stay and take the OC role. (I don't know if any of them is capable, but there is a buzz around Engstrand recently.)

Also, DC is now known around the league as a coach's coach. Lots of talented guys around the league will want to work for him as he is likely to start his own coaching tree.

14 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The Commanders are playing better ball than the Giants. The one issue is that the Giants play the Eagles the last game which will likely mean nothing to them so that could be a problem.

Either way, if the Lions win out they should be in so just keep winning but to give a little room for error if the Lions lose one, we should root for Washington tonight because I think the Giants losing 2 more is more likely.

Eagles are gonna get the 1st round bye. Are they really gonna want to sit their starters for two full weeks?

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Are there going to that many head coach vacancies in the league?  And no other wunderkind assistant coaches on any other teams that would be considered, too?

Panthers, Colts, probably Cardinals, maybe Texans, Broncos, possibly a wild-card team. 

As hot of a target Johnson might be, he only has one year of play calling experience. That would be a red flag. Not saying owners don't hire past red flags all the time, but the HC role is a major jump from calling plays.

2 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Panthers, Colts, probably Cardinals, maybe Texans, Broncos, possibly a wild-card team. 

As hot of a target Johnson might be, he only has one year of play calling experience. That would be a red flag. Not saying owners don't hire past red flags all the time, but the HC role is a major jump from calling plays.

I tend to agree with this. Teams will likely want to see more sustained success than what the Lions have put out just in 2022.

3 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

It's also not like Johnson looked other-worldly for 55 minutes today. Or against the Cowboys or Patriots. I want to keep him but there are reasons a team may not want to steal him.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It's also not like Johnson looked other-worldly for 55 minutes today. Or against the Cowboys or Patriots. I want to keep him but there are reasons a team may not want to steal him.

It's pulling plays like that 4th and inches out of his back pocket that gets people talking. He's done that frequently this season. On the broadcast the analysts were saying that other coaches talk about how there are a few plays each week that he dials up that they have no film of. 

(Perhaps if he calls plays for another season he'll run out of concepts that he's showing for the first time.)

56 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

It's pulling plays like that 4th and inches out of his back pocket that gets people talking. He's done that frequently this season. On the broadcast the analysts were saying that other coaches talk about how there are a few plays each week that he dials up that they have no film of. 

(Perhaps if he calls plays for another season he'll run out of concepts that he's showing for the first time.)

i think goff checked into that play.  it looked like he walked to the line and killed the first read.

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

you might add the bucs to that list too.  maybe the chargers.

Edited by buddha