Week Fifteen: Detroit Lions (6-7) @ New York Jets (7-6)

MichiganCardinal

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

anyone with any knowledge of lions history (or league history) should be wary of this team winning 2 of 3 on the road to clinch a playoff spot.

yeah - the over exubernce is to be expected, but the over/under on the next three is probably really more like about 1.5. Still, who's complaining that the the conversation is even possible?

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

anyone with any knowledge of lions history (or league history) should be wary of this team winning 2 of 3 on the road to clinch a playoff spot.

We've won the last 3 on the road, against better teams. Carolina will be tough but winnable. After we win, we'll witness a madhouse at home against the Bears.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - the over exubernce is to be expected, but the over/under on the next three is probably really more like about 1.5. Still, who's complaining that the the conversation is even possible?

not to be debbie downer cause i'm now invested in this team and it pains me to think they might not make the playoffs but, lets think about this win streak:

beat the pack in a game they were outgained and only won because of 3 rodgers ints in the red zone.

beat the bears on a fluke because justin fields is a great rb playing qb.

lost to the bills.

gave up justin jefferson's greatest day ever and almost 400 yards passing to kurt effing cousins.

gave up zach wilson's best day as a pro and over 300 yards passing.

this passing defense has gone back to being an abomination.  now, is that because they are overly concerned with stopping the run and making teams one dimensional?  could be.  is that one dimension destroying the lions poor secondary?  yes, yes it is.

the bears and panthers might not be able to take advantage of it, but the pack might.  and whomever they play on the road in the playoffs might too.

that said, if THIS team is in the playoffs, who cares?  and if they make it, im writing in dan campbell for mayor of chicago.  cause only the power of DC can end this crime wave....

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

not to be debbie downer cause i'm now invested in this team and it pains me to think they might not make the playoffs but, lets think about this win streak:

beat the pack in a game they were outgained and only won because of 3 rodgers ints in the red zone.

beat the bears on a fluke because justin fields is a great rb playing qb.

lost to the bills.

gave up justin jefferson's greatest day ever and almost 400 yards passing to kurt effing cousins.

gave up zach wilson's best day as a pro and over 300 yards passing.

this passing defense has gone back to being an abomination.  now, is that because they are overly concerned with stopping the run and making teams one dimensional?  could be.  is that one dimension destroying the lions poor secondary?  yes, yes it is.

the bears and panthers might not be able to take advantage of it, but the pack might.  and whomever they play on the road in the playoffs might too.

that said, if THIS team is in the playoffs, who cares?  and if they make it, im writing in dan campbell for mayor of chicago.  cause only the power of DC can end this crime wave....

I actually think they are playing with house money this season.  Anything good from this point forward is awesome.  Expectations will be much higher next season with 4 picks in the first two rounds, a full season of Jamo and a year of seasoning for this year’s rookie class.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

We've won the last 3 on the road, against better teams. Carolina will be tough but winnable. After we win, we'll witness a madhouse at home against the Bears.

in 2000 the lions were 9-6 and only needed to beat a 4 win bears team with cade mcnown at qb to clinch a playoff berth.  at home.

first, lions fans knew because the game was not sold out.  second, what we all knew would happen did happen as the lions lost to the bears on a last second 50+ yard field goal and they were out of the playoffs.

after the game, wcf cleaned house and hired matt millen to direct the franchise.  we spent the next 20 years wandering in the wilderness that was bad even by lions standards.

so let us not assume that this team is beating anyone until it actually does.

/oldmanrant

• Like 1

Back to the original point, after the Lions were 1-3 and people were wondering if they would ever win another game and if Campbell was on the hot seat, I knew they were going to win games because their schedule was getting easier and aside from the Patriots and Cowboys game, they were close in every single game. I never predicted the playoffs so they are even exceeding my expectations. It wasn't hard to see.