Week Fifteen: Detroit Lions (6-7) @ New York Jets (7-6)

MichiganCardinal

18 hours ago, djhutch said:

It's comical to look thru this game thread & see certain posters going completely ape shit for 3 quarters - posting 1 negative thing after another - & then go radio silent after the Brock Wright touchdown & have zero posts since.

I've said this before, but I consider anything said in game to be "off the record." I think most of us (I know it's true for me) then to way overreact to stuff in game.

I'm very rarely in the thread during the game cause I'm usually watching on delay so I can skip through the commercials, but I know I have plenty of reactions during the game where I'm calling out player-X for stupidity one play, then praising him for his brilliance two plays later.

11 hours ago, buddha said:

anyone with any knowledge of lions history (or league history) should be wary of this team winning 2 of 3 on the road to clinch a playoff spot.

Just enjoy the ride. Personally, I'm putting that SOL mentality on the backburner and am just living in the moment with this team with complete disregard for what happened the last 60+ years of completely different teams that have no bearing on how this current group will do.

With that said, I can understand why some Lions fans would have PTSD from the past and be skeptical still.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Just enjoy the ride. Personally, I'm putting that SOL mentality on the backburner and am just living in the moment with this team...

I will say that last year and previous years I always feared a 3rd and 5+ cause it always seemed impossible that the Lions would pick that up.  These days I feel more surprised when they don't pickup a 3rd and 5.

I'm 56.  This is the first time in my life that I've felt optimistic and confident in a Lions team to play a competitive game regardless of opponent.  And I believe that will only grow once they use some high picks to shore up their defensive deficiencies.  For me, the difference is that there are competent adults in charge, including the owner.

I'd say "Restore the Roar," but there really hasn't been anything to restore in my lifetime.  "Fear the Roar"???

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I'm 56.  This is the first time in my life that I've felt optimistic and confident in a Lions team to play a competitive game regardless of opponent.  And I believe that will only grow once they use some high picks to shore up their defensive deficiencies.  For me, the difference is that there are competent adults in charge, including the owner.

I'd say "Restore the Roar," but there really hasn't been anything to restore in my lifetime.  "Fear the Roar"???

I'm 51 now, but only really started following the Lions closely in the 90s.

That said, I'm a bit of a history fan so I'm aware of the Lions successes in the 50s and especially that magical season in Detroit in 35/36... so I'm very okay with "Restore and Roar."

Also, I 100% agree with you that I feel optimistic that the Lions could... dare I even say should??... win any game they are in. I just don't have that same dread of: "Okay, how are they going to find an obscure way to lose this one?" anymore.

On 12/18/2022 at 2:29 PM, Sports_Freak said:

Maybe we won't win the Super Bowl? But if we did, you would find SOMETHING to complain about. 

Just reading through the thread and amen to this post. A hotly contested road battle against a tough defense and all that guy does is complain constantly. It's poison to my eyes reading his posts on game day.

I think it's perfectly fine to have disagreements with people on a message board.  It's even fine to once in a while get a little heated with the discussion.  But everyone please remember that this is, ultimately, supposed to be a place where we can discuss our favorite team(s).  If you find yourself constantly getting upset or angry at any given posted, I would highly recommend using the 'ignore' feature.

For the record even though this post is coming right after NTLion, it is NOT directed at him in particular.  There were quite a few people throwing shots around in this weeks thread and that's just not enjoyable for anyone one.  If you can't find yourself responding in a civil manner to someone else, perhaps don't respond at all.  If you can't help responding when you see a specific poster, please using the ignore feature.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Yea, I am basically the same age. There are 2 periods where I felt truly optimistic. The early 90's Eric Kramer and Barry Sanders Lions. They had a decent defense with Speilman and Blades also. But they spent the majority of that era looking for a QB. Poor drafting finally weakened the team until Bobby Ross completely blew it up.

Then the mid 2010's with Stafford and Suh. They had Calvin Johnson at his peak and a top ten defense. They got screwed out of a playoff win in Dallas and then again poor drafting and cap management ended that optimism. For 2 years or so this team was very good and should have done better in the playoffs.

It finally feels like we have a front office that can draft and sustain a run of winning. I hope they solve the QB situation sooner rather than later however. 

27 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I think it's perfectly fine to have disagreements with people on a message board.  It's even fine to once in a while get a little heated with the discussion.  But everyone please remember that this is, ultimately, supposed to be a place where we can discuss our favorite team(s).  If you find yourself constantly getting upset or angry at any given posted, I would highly recommend using the 'ignore' feature.

For the record even though this post is coming right after NTLion, it is NOT directed at him in particular.  There were quite a few people throwing shots around in this weeks thread and that's just not enjoyable for anyone one.  If you can't find yourself responding in a civil manner to someone else, perhaps don't respond at all.  If you can't help responding when you see a specific poster, please using the ignore feature.

What keeps me on an even keel around here is that I think so little of most of you.  😱 

In all seriousness, the quest to “be right” can be overwhelming and that inability to being open to other viewpoints is often where our conflict arises.

I agree that the ignore feature even if just temporary is a valuable thing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NYLion said:

Just enjoy the ride. Personally, I'm putting that SOL mentality on the backburner and am just living in the moment with this team with complete disregard for what happened the last 60+ years of completely different teams that have no bearing on how this current group will do.

With that said, I can understand why some Lions fans would have PTSD from the past and be skeptical still.

This.

51 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm thinking more like Bill Cowher.

Ditka was an A-Hole... Dan Campbell is not.

Ditka was a former tight end with a larger than life personality who became an icon that transcended the NFL. 

My initial post was a joke, but Campbell has two of those three boxes already checked. If he takes the Lions to their first Super Bowl victory, he might check the third. 

Playing the same position doesn't make two players a personality match.

Again, Ditka was an A-Hole, DC is NOT.

And I'll take Cowher's 15 years with the Steelers, 8 division champs, 10 postseasons, and winning Super Bowl 40, as well as his cheerleading persona and his underrated sideline smarts and a HOF resume as more akin to who I would like DC to resemble rather than:

Dickhead Ditka.

And it's not even close.

12 hours ago, NYLion said:

Really they are playing with house money at this point. Even if they make it, they likely wouldn't make it far anyway.

The playoff appearance would be good for the psyche of Detroit sports fans in general, but it may just be the appetizer for this group if they make it

Edited by mtutiger

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Really they are playing with house money at this point. Even if they make it, they likely wouldn't make it far anyway.

The playoff appearance would be good for the psyche of Detroit sports fans in general, but it just be the appetizer for this group if they make it

Agree.   There’s only one scenario that could possibly play out that would really disappoint me.  I won’t get into it except to say it involves a last drive situation with a certain player in the last game of the season.  

43 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Playing the same position doesn't make two players a personality match.

Again, Ditka was an A-Hole, DC is NOT.

And I'll take Cowher's 15 years with the Steelers, 8 division champs, 10 postseasons, and winning Super Bowl 40, as well as his cheerleading persona and his underrated sideline smarts and a HOF resume as more akin to who I would like DC to resemble rather than:

Dickhead Ditka.

And it's not even close.

Are you the one he said could come fight him?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The playoff appearance would be good for the psyche of Detroit sports fans in general, but it may just be the appetizer for this group if they make it

It would be even better for the young Lions players who have never been to the playoffs before. The experience of actual win-or-go-home playoff intensity now would be invaluable for them, and put the rebuild way ahead of schedule.